Majorette #209A Pickup truck - unknown manufacturer
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
This forum is specifically for diecast made in France - Solido, Majorette, Norev, CIJ, FJ, Quiralu and all the others.

TOPIC: Majorette #209A Pickup truck - unknown manufacturer

Re: Majorette #209A Pickup truck - unknown manufacturer 6 years, 9 months ago #31

Platinum Boarder
When researching any particular model car go on the premise that the country of origin will always try to depict vehicles that drive around in that particular country.

in this case Majorette - Made In France.
France is in Europe so the focus of the manufacturer would be primarily what ever common vehicle in the time period of 1970 onward would be driven on the streets. To boost sales other European countries would be added, or at the time, the fairly popular cheap runabouts like the VW and Fiat, next to Citroën, Renault, Peugeot, Simca and Chrysler (Talbot).

So here's the missing link of the 'Dodge' truck as Chrysler owns Dodge. However, there was the odd American models sold in the Early part of the Majorette factory. A poor attempt on a Chrysler Imperial Police car.

Where Majorette made excellent recreations of cars like VW, Citroën, Renault, Peugeot and Fiat, other manufacturers appear to be botched.

Everyone focuses on the front of the vehicle, but should take the rest of the design into consideration as well.

The wheel arches appear similar to the Dodge truck, but its the flatbed tray which differs completely from the rest of the vehicle. With most utes the line is continuous to the rear flap, which is either missing or was never factored in.

The rear of the vehicle you would expect on a Jeep (also from Chrysler) and appears more utilitarian (ute) but is unlike any ute - Japanese or American - found anywhere else.

The pieces of this light-truck does not fit the mold.
I was convinced beyond a reasonable doubt its a Dodge. However I should have discarded that notion and stick to my guns (aswell as being an expert in designs) that this is not a Dodge at all.

Re: Majorette #209A Pickup truck - unknown manufacturer 6 years, 9 months ago #32

Platinum Boarder
I some how I agree about the Dodge theory Richard and always have as the Majorette rendition is nothing like any of the Dodge pick-ups, light trucks, or utes if one likes to be more inclined to be Aussie. I still think they are Toejoe's
Last Edit: 6 years, 9 months ago by GunnerJim.

Re: Majorette #209A Pickup truck - unknown manufacturer 6 years, 9 months ago #33

Platinum Boarder
This type of Dodge was used in Belgium by the fire services and I would imagine in France as well. If you compare the fire-version of the pickup (a different but related cast) it seems that the pickup was kind of derived from this. In fact on older versions in the window cast (the clear plastic) you can read "ODGE".

Re: Majorette #209A Pickup truck - unknown manufacturer 6 years, 9 months ago #34

Platinum Boarder
A photo of the actual vehicle would help convince the sceptics amongst us.
The Australian Chrysler Valiant has some strikingly similar design features.

Even though Belgium had some cars designed there, Chrysler undoubtedly built a factory manufacturing plant quite early as they did quite regularly in baby countries, by using an existing plant and and branding their own on a family sedan or wagon.

An actual photo from a real car that follows it's designs would make it easier to accept.

Re: Majorette #209A Pickup truck - unknown manufacturer 6 years, 9 months ago #35

Platinum Boarder

Re: Majorette #209A Pickup truck - unknown manufacturer 6 years, 9 months ago #36

Platinum Boarder
That doesn't look anything like the toy model.
Wrong wheels arches, incorrect cab, totally different grille, different bonnet.
Windscreen too large.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

Re: Majorette #209A Pickup truck - unknown manufacturer 6 years, 9 months ago #37

Platinum Boarder
Single headlights to instead of the Majorette's design with horizontal twins.

Re: Majorette #209A Pickup truck - unknown manufacturer 6 years, 9 months ago #38

Platinum Boarder
Heya Gunner, the dual headlights were the second type redesign. First type with most of the utes were single headlights.

Done some more research and there may be a little compromise to the whole 'Dodge spelling inside window' phenomena.
Everyone assumes that its an American truck, but this negates the theory of Toy Manufacturers creating local cars.

And you can't go more local than SIMCA.

I had always maintained the Pick Up was a Simca, perhaps a 1300 or even the 1100.
Even though the Simca 1100 features as a completely different type design to the actual Pick Up, Simca did make a couple of utilitarian vehicles under the brand name Dodge.

Let's go back to what I was saying before on how Dodge came to be in Europe. Dodge is the cheap and affordable branch of Chrysler. Chrysler tends to strike deals with mid-size saloon companies in order to create enough sales through badge-engineering.
Simca merges with Talbot.
Talbot strikes a deal with Chrysler.

American trucks are huge, but if you have need of a small low maintenance based on a car design Pick Up for multiple commercial use, and increase your sales somewhat worldwide in certain French Colonies, the Dodge Pick Up is nothing less than a badge-engineered Simca 11/1300.

Its not a complete match. My other theory is they botched it up a little.

Last Edit: 6 years, 9 months ago by RVREVO.

Re: Majorette #209A Pickup truck - unknown manufacturer 6 years, 9 months ago #39

Platinum Boarder
Thought I'd get another perspective as the Camper is very American looking.

Found a photo which Majorette designed on a Dodge truck obviously. However the model itself is different, when you notice the grille, bonnet, sides, etc.

The box agrees with the real. So why did Majorette not put the actual truck in the box?

Re: Majorette #209A Pickup truck - unknown manufacturer 6 years, 9 months ago #40

Very interesting theories Richard,

I think your observations are steps iinto the right direction

Re: Majorette #209A Pickup truck - unknown manufacturer 6 years, 9 months ago #41

Platinum Boarder
I had found a Simca ute this morning while running down the list of French manufactured vehicles in the 1960's up to the 1980's and had looked at the image of the Simca. Also did some searching Bugatti no go here, Citreon who did make the utes. Peugot also had some utes. Renault included some as well. Pahhard no go only trucks, Hotchkiss well never mind, Berlit on massive to ordinary heavy vehicle range. Not to forget ACMAT including some other not so well manufactures like Microcar.

I then found a link to  Simca who did make lots of utes. Couldn't find any images of the twin headlight grill job. Can you post some images of the ute that you have found.

Like you said Richard we need that photo to match like.

So I will keep on searching until I am satisfied beyond reasonable doubt so the say.

Cheers in happy hunting the impossible but we will get there in the end.
Last Edit: 6 years, 9 months ago by GunnerJim.

Re: Majorette #209A Pickup truck - unknown manufacturer 6 years, 8 months ago #42

Senior Boarder
Since it's a cool pickup truck I've replaced wheels and repainted in blue with some "mud" ...

What do you think guys?

Re: Majorette #209A Pickup truck - unknown manufacturer 6 years, 8 months ago #43

Platinum Boarder
This looks good the wheels transform it.

Re: Majorette #209A Pickup truck - unknown manufacturer 6 years, 8 months ago #44

Platinum Boarder
heya Jim, added heaps of photos during edit...

Re: Majorette #209A Pickup truck - unknown manufacturer 6 years, 8 months ago #45

Nice job, the mud looks very realistic