Majorette #209A Pickup truck - unknown manufacturer
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
This forum is specifically for diecast made in France - Solido, Majorette, Norev, CIJ, FJ, Quiralu and all the others.

TOPIC: Majorette #209A Pickup truck - unknown manufacturer

Majorette #209A Pickup truck - unknown manufacturer 10 years, 4 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
This little pickup truck has fascinated me since I first got it as a kid in the mid-seventies. And after 35 years I am no closer to the actual car manufacturer.

There have many suggestions that don\'t pan out, guesses without proper comparisons like the 1961-66 GMC. Several differences were clear, wrong lights, grille, overall cab shape, bonnet and especially the windscreen were totally different.

Google this pickup online and you get the suggestion of the Dodge pickup. I\'m beginning to think people are blind or something. The design is just as different especially where the indicators are placed inbetween the front lights and the bumper. The body style is more of a Valiant Chrysler, and although I\'m tempted it is simply very similar in front fender styling.

Ironically just like a real production car this little pickup gets a facelift. And yet am still no closer to who designed it.

We have to look at this logically. In the beginning Majorette concentrated mostly on french and some European cars. As they expanded internationally British and American models began to appear as well. But these only appeared in large quantities in the 1990s. So we\'re still no closer to this 1960s little pickup.

My first one was this Safari Truck. I had two of them.

No two are alike. One has a red base and the other orange base. A splash of multicolours were applied randomly.

Ofcourse there were themes a plenty. Fire tenders, Lion Safari, Roadworks, Campers and a towtruck.

Ofcourse you\'ll not find that many of this little pickup. My last one was the blue camper. The bulk lot I picked up in Holland during my stay in the mid90s.

And so I\'m no closer to knowing which \'French\' Manufacturer made this truck.
My suspicions lie with Simca. The front looks very similar to the Simca 1500. Simca farmed their cars out to many of the surrounding manufacturers like the Spanish Dacia, and French Matra. Their designs even followed the Fiat 500 Bambina into Russia to become a ZAZ 500.
But all this is speculation.

Re:Majorette #209A Pickup truck - unknown manufacturer 10 years, 4 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
Richard, don\'t forget about the royalties that toy makers had to pay to use a real car makers vehicle as a prototype. If they changed say, the grille, marker light position, headlights, front or rear body lines, they did not have to pay those royalties. This was done a lot by Majorette and lots of other companies in Europe in the day. This may very well be just such a model and therefore not a real truck but a mix of trucks.

Re:Majorette #209A Pickup truck - unknown manufacturer 10 years, 4 months ago #3

I agree with Jim. The first pic showing the 3 grills, the center one looks kind of like my dad\'s 58 ford pick up, the others could be Dodge or an Overseas Chrysler product, or Overseas Ford. There are some lines that look like the 68-71 Dodge but not all. from the angle you showed the campers, there are some Chevy lines, and in the pics you show the side vioew, they disappear. I\'d say it\'s a mutt.

Re:Majorette #209A Pickup truck - unknown manufacturer 10 years, 4 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
after a long discussion with Baskingshark I came to the same conclusion that is a mixture of several American and European styling elements.

In another forum (banned from MCCH - no reason) the discussion of this little truck concluded with earlier models having the letter \'ODGI\' on the inside of the plastic window. The theory is it used to say Dodge. Somehow I doubt it at two others say \'H\' and another says \'U\'.

The scale 1/80 was also misleading making the RL truck bigger than what it supposedly is based on. From the ground to the top of the roof height it would stand 2 Meters tall. Its length is a bit shorter at 6.5M. What it makes it equally weird is that most flatbeds have a backflap. Nothing appears to be provided for this beasty.
And there appears to be a small water tank on the rear bumper, very much like a Jeep. The Fire Engine has that same block changed to a rego plate.

Also agree with Jim on the Royalty issue. Whatever changes they brought to this truck appears to be more than the minimum seven.

Re:Majorette #209A Pickup truck - unknown manufacturer 10 years, 4 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
just found a picture on Google about a \'Dodge Custom\'.

I think there\'s a real connection now.

Re:Majorette #209A Pickup truck - unknown manufacturer 10 years, 4 months ago #6

This is the Greenlight Dodge D-100 pick up 1967-1972 era. I think this is the Dodge truck model that they are talking about this being based on.

Greenlight_Dodge_pickup.jpg

Re:Majorette #209A Pickup truck - unknown manufacturer 10 years, 4 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
oldtruck56 wrote:

This is the Greenlight Dodge D-100 pick up 1967-1972 era. I think this is the Dodge truck model that they are talking about this being based on.

Hi Rob, thanks for the pic, now we can make a list of the 7 changes.

Re:Majorette #209A Pickup truck - unknown manufacturer 10 years, 4 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
1. bonnet

2. fender extends past headlights

3. rubber strip halfway down running along most of body, with the real truck from nose to tail beginning with opening gap running under window sill over the top  of the bed to the rear corner.

4. angular b-pillar instead of elegantly rounded.

5. bottom edge of front fender cut to make room for the bumper. Does not continue down under bumper although there\'s room.

6. top edge of bed is lower than window sill.

7. scale 1/80 is a bit off. That makes this truck bigger than the conventional light truck by at least a two feet, if I interpret the two scales correctly.
8. grille has weird design

Last Edit: 10 years, 4 months ago by RVREVO.

Re:Majorette #209A Pickup truck - unknown manufacturer 10 years, 4 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
8) I would say more stylised then weird. Grille is not that much different, just the head lights are pushed together or the grille is on your models.

Re:Majorette #209A Pickup truck - unknown manufacturer 10 years, 4 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
the bonnet is a totally different style too. Its inverted and that makes it more confusing too.

as to scale, blow it up full size and the Majorette car stands higher and wider than the Dodge D100

Re:Majorette #209A Pickup truck - unknown manufacturer 10 years, 1 month ago #11

Platinum Boarder
Mine says in the window ODGE, not ODGI.

Maybe it\'s just a generic and not supposed to look like a real car...

Re:Majorette #209A Pickup truck - unknown manufacturer 10 years, 1 month ago #12

Fresh Boarder
I\'ve quite a few of these in my collection, all spelled ODGE inside.
There are many subtle differences in the first period of production. The first ones didn\'t have a trailer hitch, for example.

And no fog lights above the front bumper:

For some reason, the Safari always came with the four headlight grille. This one is believed to be delivered originally without bull bar, another famous collector has the same model in the same state (mint, very dark chassis and no bull bar).

Re:Majorette #209A Pickup truck - unknown manufacturer 10 years, 1 month ago #13

Platinum Boarder
PS The topic starter wrote this:

And so I\'m no closer to knowing which \'French\' Manufacturer made this truck.
My suspicions lie with Simca. The front looks very similar to the Simca 1500. Simca farmed their cars out to many of the surrounding manufacturers like the Spanish Dacia, and French Matra. Their designs even followed the Fiat 500 Bambina into Russia to become a ZAZ 500.
But all this is speculation.

I will not disagree perse with Simca, as there is a clear connection between Dodge and Simca. However, Dacia was not Spanish, it was Romanian and made Renault in license. Maybe you mean Barreiros, a Spanish company that made - amongst others - the Dart?
The remark about the Fiat 500: ZAZ is not Russian. ZAZ did make a Fiat 500-derived car, but this was different from the Simca-version (I believe this was the 5CV). Matra used to work together with Simca, like on the Simca Matra Bagheera and the Rancho. They did not make Simca\'s though as such.

Re:Majorette #209A Pickup truck - unknown manufacturer 10 years ago #14

Fresh Boarder
The very early examples have DODGE engraved in the glass. The green camper seen above has this.

Re:Majorette #209A Pickup truck - unknown manufacturer 10 years ago #15

Platinum Boarder
yeah, yeah, I concede... its a Dodge...

let\'s move on