This forum is specifically for diecast made in France - Solido, Majorette, Norev, CIJ, FJ, Quiralu and all the others.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Solido \"Age d\'or\" series

Solido \"Age d\'or\" series 11 years, 3 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
The car that started my collection. My very first one I bought when I was 13.

Of course Rolls-Royce Phantom III is my favorite.

Somewhere in my living room.

And here is a part of my Phantom III by Solido.

Re:Solido \"Age d\'or\" series 11 years, 3 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
Nice collection and it looks like you tend toward the mint in mint box models. Gets expensive that way depending on what you collect.

Re:Solido \"Age d\'or\" series 11 years, 3 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
I did only collect Rolls-Royce at about 1/43 scale.

But as I did collect Dinky RR and Corgi I fell in love with Dinky and Corgi toys.

Now I got a dozen Corgi (almost all of them MIB) and some Dinky Exc/boxed or MIB.

I even got some Minichamps and Neo. Jaguar and Mercedes, Hispano Suiza...

But it\'s time to have a break, and continue to collect RR now. News are coming.

Solido models are not expensive. For six or seven pounds, you can get a MIB first issue.

Re:Solido \"Age d\'or\" series 11 years, 3 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
This is true but I have not started to collect solido yet. I am in Canada and they are not sold here, that I am aware of. I have never seen them here anyway. I would have to pay shipping from France or Europe or GB and that kills the price. Almost doubles it if you only buy one model.

Re:Solido \"Age d\'or\" series 11 years, 3 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
Kinda strange that Solido - being French - is not exported to Canada, you\'d think that they\'d be sold in Montreal or something.

Re:Solido \"Age d\'or\" series 11 years, 3 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
Well I don\'t remember seeing or hearing about Solido when I was growing up in Vancouver. The could very well have been sold in Quebec. They could also have been brought in by specialty toy stores for collectors etc. I just did not know of them.

Re:Solido \"Age d\'or\" series 11 years, 3 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
In the UK Solido were not officially imported until the early 1970\'s.

Before this time one could obtain Solido models in Britain from toy fairs and collector shops.

I have over 60 Solido Age D\'Or models and most of these were bought for around £5/6 MIB. Nobody seems to want them which is a shame because they are decent replicas. I prefer the Age D\'Or models that were part of the Solido 100 series. The first of the older issues did not have screw holes in their baseplate.

Cheers Chris

Re:Solido \"Age d\'or\" series 11 years, 1 month ago #8

Platinum Boarder
Early 70s was perhaps when they started to import them into the US.  I found some in an upscale toy shop in the 1970s in the US.   L\'age d\'or were always a favorite of mine, more than the other Solidos for some reason.  Here are a few.

Cadillac V16 & CitroenC4F & Highway Travel Mercedes SS:
Bigger
Bigger
Bigger

Last Edit: 11 years, 1 month ago by karls.

Re:Solido \"Age d\'or\" series 10 years, 5 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
Quote \"Nobody seems to want them\" - I would agree that many Solido models sell for far less than similar, say, Corgis and Dinkys. One could ask why that is so? I have to admit that I personally have a love/hate relationship with Solido, some of their models are absolutely stunning achievements, beautiful, detailed and easily hold their own against Corgi and Dinky (the thread on the Solido 100-series being a good example). Others are simpler, with very few details and boring wheels, but this could also be said about both Corgi and Dinky models (especially from the beginning of the Whizzwheels/Speedwheels era and on), but what really bothers me about Solido, is the sometimes extremely poor, sloppy and rushed finish: uneven paint, parts that don\'t match, opening doors that won\'t shut properly and - worst of all - lots of excess grates all over. A terrible example of this is a red Porsche Carrera (cat.# 1808) that I bought on E-bay and also two Peugeot P4 (1859 & 2181)

I know one could always ask a seller for a ton of photos from every possible angle, but really, this shouldn\'t have to be necessary with new/MIB models, should it?

I\'m sure I\'m not the only one with this experience, and once you get burned, you tend to shy away from the fire.

Re:Solido \"Age d\'or\" series 10 years, 5 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
I like their tanks got real working tracks.

Re:Solido 10 years, 5 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
Teebodk wrote:

... but what really bothers me about Solido, is the sometimes extremely poor, sloppy and rushed finish: uneven paint, parts that don\'t match, opening doors that won\'t shut properly and - worst of all - lots of excess grates all over. A terrible example of this is a red Porsche Carrera (cat.# 1808) that I bought on E-bay and also two Peugeot P4...
Hej Teebo,  Can you explain or show a picture of what an excess grate is - I am not sure what you mean?  All the Alfa Romeo Solidos I have have been perfectly finished, but that is only a handful.  Plus many l\'age d\'or...

Re:Solido \"Age d\'or\" series 10 years, 5 months ago #12

Platinum Boarder
Here\'s some from the Porsche

Re:Solido \"Age d\'or\" series 10 years, 5 months ago #13

Platinum Boarder
Uneven paintwork (also from the Porsche)

Re:Solido \"Age d\'or\" series 10 years, 5 months ago #14

Platinum Boarder
Even more...

Re:Solido \"Age d\'or\" series 10 years, 5 months ago #15

Platinum Boarder
Thanks for the pictures - the middle one (of the hood) is what we call \"orange peel\" in the US, especially on 1:1 scale paintjobs.  The 2 pictures of the side of the rear window look like a 2nd type of quality issue.  I have seen this before (not on a Solido) and thought it might be extra flash from the casting that was not properly removed.  Or do you think it is just extra paint, applied too thickly? 

I am learning a lot here - thanks, but sorry that you have such issues with SOLIDO! 
  • Page: