This forum is specifically for diecast made in France - Solido, Majorette, Norev, CIJ, FJ, Quiralu and all the others.

TOPIC: 50 French diecast manufacturers

Re:50 French diecast manufacturers 11 years, 4 months ago #46

Platinum Boarder
This is from Jan Clevering from one of my other forums, Dana Johnson\'s Toy Car Collector\'s site.

Dana,
I can add Rail-Route, a predecessor of Majorette, to that list. I believe I  have a Jeep made by them completely out of diecast.

No picture, but I don\'t think there is a dispute

Champion, a small-scale brand by Safir, made for example a Matra-Ford Formula  1 car, with a monocoque chassis/body out of metal, though the wheels are held in  place by plastic triangels.

Then there is Universal Hobbies - which made for example a Renault Scenic in  1:64. The box mentions - despite the name - an address in France.

Last Edit: 11 years, 4 months ago by Nobleco.

Re:50 French diecast manufacturers 11 years, 4 months ago #47

Platinum Boarder
Dana now adds this about my last post.

Rail-Route makes #60.  Champion makes #61.  I don\'t think Universal Hobbies counts since the company has been generally based in Hong Kong.

--
Mr. Dana Johnson
Bend, Oregon

Re:50 French diecast manufacturers 11 years, 4 months ago #48

Platinum Boarder
Jan now counters with....
From the site of UH:

UNIVERSAL HOBBIES
12, rue du Cap Vert
21800 QUETIGNY
France
Tel : +33 (0)3 80 32 03 05
The following form will automatically be cancelled if one or more required fields are not filled in. The enclosed data is exclusively intented for use by Normandy Day and will never be communicated to partners or providers. In accordance with the articles 38 to 40 of the 78-17 modified French Law, you have the right to access your personal data and to edit or to delete it. To process these modifications, please refer to the following mention. To exercise this right, please contact our correspondent, according to the terms of the legal notice.

Re:50 French diecast manufacturers 11 years, 4 months ago #49

Administrator
OK, we are losing track - we need to make a list of all the confirmed ones (ie, Majorette, Safir, Norev, etc), to see how many we have without the Provence Moulages, Joustras etc, that still need to be confirmed, then we can go over those on a case by case basis.

Last Edit: 11 years, 4 months ago by Baskingshark.

Re:50 French diecast manufacturers 11 years, 4 months ago #50

Platinum Boarder
Ref: Dana\'s list of 59 brands of \'French\' \'diecast\' manufacturers, past and present:

ACB
Andre-Marie Ruf (AMR) white metal?
Aquavit
A.R. zinc alloy
Art Collection Auto
Bizarre made in China resin
Bonux
Bourbon
B.S.
C.D.
C.I.J. zinc alloy
Cle
D.E.L.
Desormeaux
Dinky zinc alloy
Eligor zinc alloy
Eria
Evrat87
Faracars zinc alloy
Feeling 43 white metal
France Jouets zinc alloy
Gaffe resin kits
Gege
Gitanes
GTS
Gulliver
Heco resin
Ilario resin
Integral
Jadali
J.E.P.
Jouef zinc alloy
Joustra
JPS
J.R.D. zinc alloy
Le Jouet Mecanique
Le Mans Miniatures resin
Le Phoenix white metal
Le Rouliers
Le Routiers
L\'Eau Rouge Made in Belgium
LP Creation
Majorette zinc alloy
Midget Toys
Norev one range in zinc alloy
Piranha Models
Plan 43X
Poclain
Profil 24
Provence Moulage resin
Quiralu zinc alloy
R.A.M.I. zinc alloy
Renaissance resin
Safir
Salza
Solido zinc alloy
Spark resin made in China
S.R. later issues in zinc alloy
Tenariv resin kits
But if we are including the body made from zinc alloy and the model made in France we are left with 14 firms! May be a few others on the above list are zinc alloy but you would be hard pushed to get to 50! 

So I am sure that Baskingshark will win this bet!

Cheers Chris

Re:50 French diecast manufacturers 11 years, 4 months ago #51

Administrator
Thanks Chris! We are only counting Zinc Alloy models, not white metal, plastic or resin, so I\'m sure I\'m going to win too!

Re:50 French diecast manufacturers 11 years, 4 months ago #52

Administrator
Right, so:

Going by the list kindly supplied by Dana and Chris\' notations, I have the following confirmed as being French Mazak diecast models which meet our definition:

AR
CIJ
Dinky France
Eligor
Faracars
FJ
Jouef
JRD
Majorette
Norev
Quiralu
RAMI
Safir
Solido
SR

I have added Safir, as I looked at some pics and they are zinc alloy. If there are any that anyone has mentioned upthread that I have missed out, please LMK and add them. 
We can add Champion and Verem if you like, although as discussed I consider Verem to be Solido and Champion to be Safir, but I don\'t think they\'ll help too much either way!
Now, the following are the ones I have with question marks over what they\'re made of:

CB

AMR

Aquavit

Art Collection Auto

Bourbon

BS

CD

DEL

Desormeaux

Aria

Evrat87

Gege

Gitanes

GTS

Gulliver

Integral

Jadali

JEP

Joustra

JPS

Le Jouet Mecanique

Le Rouliers

Le Routiers

L’Eau Rouge

LP Creation

Midget Toys

Piranha Models

Plan 43X

Poclain

Profil 24

Salza

Spark

Anyone have any knowledge on these?

And, seriously, who calls their model car range \"L\'eau Rouge\"?!

Re:50 French diecast manufacturers 11 years, 4 months ago #53

Hot Wheels made castings in France and should be on your list. I\'ve chased after some of the steering rigs from France on that auction site, and they are mazac or zamac zinc alloy castings.

Re:50 French diecast manufacturers 11 years, 4 months ago #54

Platinum Boarder
Baskingshark wrote:

Thanks Chris! We are only counting Zinc Alloy models, not white metal, plastic or resin, so I\'m sure I\'m going to win too!

When the New Jersey Zink Company first developed the Zamak alloys in 1929 and took out its patent on this zink alloy, where the name derived from the German words for Zink (zink), Aluminium, Magnesium and Kupfer (copper. Thus the acronym is Z,MA, K was formed. New Jersey Zink Company included in the patient the words Pot Metal and White Metal, as these alloys contain the same properties as Zamak 3 used in Toy production. The Pot Metal and White Metal was the layman\'s terminology for this alloy used in those days which would include Lead, tin and antimony under the terminology of white metal also.

Morris Ashby in 1933 was able to patent Mazak which contain a higher grade Zinc having 99.99% properties, compared to what the New Jersey Company had registered. The problem with the early days of this alloy was the impurities that was contained in the manufactured Zinc, having tin, lead and cadmium. By adding a small amount of Magnesium was found to reduce the dreaded Zink pest. To exclude White Metal invokes the legal argument what is registered under the banner of ZAMAK, ZAMAC and MAZAC. Morris Ashby, Zinc, Magnesium Aluminium Copper.

Plastic and Resins are made from petroleum and vegetable oil products.

ToyPedia has an interesting article of die-casting including how the machinery works and alloys used, if anyone is interested.

Just for interest sake borrowed from Di-Casting Machines Dies Alloys printed in 1936 \"The Industrial Press\" New York City.
Last Edit: 11 years, 3 months ago by GunnerJim.

Re:50 French diecast manufacturers 11 years, 4 months ago #55

Platinum Boarder
And, seriously, who calls their model car range \"L\'eau Rouge\"?!

reminds me of this singer... La Roux

Re:50 French diecast manufacturers 11 years, 4 months ago #56

Platinum Boarder
La Roux means the mix, if I remember correct where L\'eau Rouge means red water

Re:50 French diecast manufacturers 11 years, 4 months ago #57

Platinum Boarder
I have Midget Toys but thought they were American (mine are futuristic cars from the late 50s), will have to make a photo later and post it.

Re:50 French diecast manufacturers 11 years, 4 months ago #58

Platinum Boarder
Spark are made in Macau - do they count as \"French\"?
  http://www.sparkmodel.com/Main/about_us/contact_us/index.html

Plus, they are resin - at least all the advertising I have seen say they are.  Does anyone have a diecast Spark? Made in France?

Karl - a Spark Alfa Romeo fan!

Re:50 French diecast manufacturers 11 years, 4 months ago #59

Administrator
Au revoir Spark.

Hot Wheels does get to go on the list, though. So now we\'ve got what, 18?

Re:50 French diecast manufacturers 11 years, 4 months ago #60

Platinum Boarder
Karl thanks for the link on Spark model racing cars. Sparks history overview and production, quality control, plus their design team using Cad-Cam computer techniques in their styling and die making was very interesting.