This forum is specifically for diecast made in France - Solido, Majorette, Norev, CIJ, FJ, Quiralu and all the others.

TOPIC: 50 French diecast manufacturers

Re:50 French diecast manufacturers 11 years, 4 months ago #16

Platinum Boarder
Trade name Zamak or Zamac. Which contains a family of alloys with a base metal of Zinc and alloying elements from aluminium, magnesium, copper, lead, or pewter and tin. it all depends on what the pot metal is being used for.

The New Jersey Zinc company developed Zamak in 1929 and is referred to as pot metal or white metal.(Mazac if one may use the original term for this hot pouring metal).

Zamac comes in strengths of 2 3 5 & 7 that is still used today. High Pressure die-casting actuating metal moulds are used in large production composites for the making of door handles, plumbing fittings,pumps, old phone bases once a upon a time and a host of other auto and aircraft parts and in today\'s modern model car and truck productions toys. Spin casting is also used with latex rubber moulds and so on for small manufacturing to keep costs down on tooling.

What determines a diecast toy, is that just as long as the base part used such as the body of a car or truck is classified as being diecast. If the body is made of tin, then the car or truck is a tin toy. It dosn\'t matter if almost all the other components are made of plastic. If the car, truck, plane or boat is made of hard plastic and has metal axles then that toy is deemed to be Plastic.

Confusion says: just ask LaToya.

Re:50 French diecast manufacturers 11 years, 4 months ago #17

What about the Hot Wheels from France? Do they count?

Re:50 French diecast manufacturers 11 years, 4 months ago #18

Platinum Boarder
Why not. Then we have Britains too.

Re:50 French diecast manufacturers 11 years, 4 months ago #19

Platinum Boarder
I was up to my buddies place in the Okanagan to day to take pictures of the parts of his collection he wants to sell (see for sale section in Diecast Vehicles or in individual model posts under manufacturer) He showed me a Rama toy, not Rami but Rama, made in France. I don\'t have a picture but one more for the list. It was a diecast toy.

Re:50 French diecast manufacturers 11 years, 4 months ago #20

Platinum Boarder
Baskingshark wrote:
Find 22 or 23 more confirmed brand names, ...Technically the definition of \"diecast model car\" is one made of Zamac, not White Metal or Plastic, which would exclude everything except the first few brands we discussed....
I have to disagreeing with your definition of Die Casting. It is just that Casting from a made Die, to be used over and over again, not a sand cast that is destroyed when finished to reveal the casting. Die cast toys can be made of any material that can be melted and poured so could include wax vehicles if you really want to get technical. You should have stated die cast METAL toys not DIE Cast TOYS. There is a difference. Plastic army toys are injection molded into die cast molds the use over and over again.

Diecast Toyguy, Mod

Re:50 French diecast manufacturers 11 years, 4 months ago #21

Platinum Boarder
30.  Verem - diecast reissues and mod\'s of Solido
31.  JRD - classic French diecast bought by CIJ in the 1960s.  See http://www.mesminiatures.com/histoire/miniature/cij.php#chap10
32.  Vroom - resin handbuilts
33.  AMR - resin handbuilts and kits
34.  Record - resin handbults and kits
35.  Provence Moulage - resin handbuilts and kits
36.  Starter - resin handbuilts and kits
37.  Heco - resin handbuilts
38.  Alezan
39.  ESDO
40.  Feeling 43
41   Amis du 1/43
42.  Automany
43.  BAM
44.  GAFFE
45.  Miniracing
46.  Piranha Models
47.  Tenariv
48.  CCC Classique
49.  Paradcar 

If we are counting 1/43 model shops in France, then 1/43 resin handbuilts surely count.

Re:50 French diecast manufacturers 11 years, 4 months ago #22

Platinum Boarder
#27 SR
#28 AR
#29 Citroen
#30 JRD
#31 DC
#32 Aludo

All reference \'The first French models\'  by Jean-Michel Roulet in Automobile Book of Models #3 1984.

BTW Norev did a massive range in zinc alloy in the 1970\'s.

Cheers Chris

Re:50 French diecast manufacturers 11 years, 4 months ago #23

Platinum Boarder
I feel good about people power (and about this bet).  Even if we delete some of the entries it is just a question of time before I can invite Baskingshark to town and have him pay the drinks...

Re:50 French diecast manufacturers 11 years, 4 months ago #24

Platinum Boarder
I think we\'re on 55 now.

Jackpot!!!

Re:50 French diecast manufacturers 11 years, 4 months ago #25

Administrator
This is getting beyond complicated, so here are some long-overdue ground rules!

Nobleco - I actually agree with your strict definition of diecast - the word means \"cast in a die\", so anything that\'s cast in a die should be counted as diecast whatever it\'s made of. However, by this logic, one could also argue that plastic model kits are diecast. As such, for our purposes here, we are limiting this to Mazak model vehicles made in France (which was what I was referring to when I said there were not 50 diecast companies in France - I can probably list 50 French white metal model makers myself!!!!!!) Resin, plastic, white metal and all other substances are disqualified!

Also; shops where you can buy diecast most decidedly do NOT count unless they produce their own ranges and can be proven to do so! If diecast shops in France counted, we would have 200,000 entries, including supermarkets!!!

Oh, and Verem does not count either as it is part of Solido and has only ever produced re-issued Solido models with slightly higher detail levels. (If we were counting British diecasts, we wouldn\'t count Matchbox and Super Kings as two separate manufacturers!)

Normal service may now resume!

Re:50 French diecast manufacturers 11 years, 4 months ago #26

Platinum Boarder
How about Matchbox and Mattel as two separate manufacturers?

And as Dinky Toys were originally English, would that clash with the Dinky Toys made in France?

Re:50 French diecast manufacturers 11 years, 4 months ago #27

Administrator
Matchbox is now part of Mattel, but Matchbox & Hot Wheels will always be two separate brands. The thing with Verem is that Verem is part of the Solido group and has only ever produced models that were first made as Solidos, but with a bit more detail - I have two Verems, one is the Ferrari 250GTE, the other the Porsche 928 (the extra detail is usually not worth the hassle - the Porsche has tabbed-on plastictail lamps that stick out too far and the Ferrari has horrid plastic wire wheels that don\'t look as good as the original Solido ones!). HW doesn\'t make old Matchboxes, so it\'s a separate thing.

French Dinky definitely counts because most of the product was different to British Dinky and they were manufactured in France.

Re:50 French diecast manufacturers 11 years, 4 months ago #28

Platinum Boarder
I can live with all of those qualification (I will win anyway), but dispute the ruling on Verem.  It does not matter that they might be not good value for money, they are a brand in their own right - so should count.

Re:50 French diecast manufacturers 11 years, 4 months ago #29

Platinum Boarder
So that settles that so let us see the pictures.

Re:50 French diecast manufacturers 11 years, 4 months ago #30

Administrator
Joschik wrote:

I can live with all of those qualification (I will win anyway),

No, you won\'t.

but dispute the ruling on Verem.  It does not matter that they might be not good value for money, they are a brand in their own right - so should count.

No they don\'t - the issue is not the value for money, the issue is that they are a range created by Solido themselves to re-issue old Solido models. If another company had created them, then they would count. For example, I am not sure if Imit\'Toys are mazak or white metal - if they are mazak, then they would count, even if they are re-issuing old Dinky Toys as exact copies because they are a different parent company. However, Solido is the Verem parent company and there is not one single \"New\" Verem model, so they only count once. This is MANUFACTURERS, not ranges - Majorette has had about 5 different ranges, including Edocar (which are plastic, so don\'t count double), but is only one manufacturer, hence they only count once, and so should Solido/Verem. Similarly, the new Spot-On reissues don\'t count, even though they are made by Norev, which is a French company, beause Norev only counts once.

And even if I let you have Verem, if we\'re working to the Mazak-only ruling, you still won\'t win!

Last Edit: 11 years, 4 months ago by Baskingshark.