What is this tin race car?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
From Bing to Bandai to Yonezawa, here's where you can talk about all those colourful tinplate cars, buses, motorbikes, trucks and anything else with wheels!
  • Page:

TOPIC: What is this tin race car?

What is this tin race car? 6 years, 10 months ago #1

Fresh Boarder
HI,

I'm new to this group but hope that someone can help. I was given this small tin car today. It is about 1 3/4" in length and has angled axles so that it will only run in a circle. I'd like to know its origins.

Thanks in advance,

Fairbs

Re: What is this tin race car? 6 years, 10 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
Welcome to the forum Fairbs, there are some well informed collectors here and happy to jump at identifying odd and obscure toys and models and you have shown just an example.

My first impression was it may have been by the German 'ESSBEE' company, but they tended to make separate items and by your description of angled wheels suggests it is One of a pair of models designed as a racing set.

If there are no marks, names, numbers or tiny logos anywhere on the model, I would put it down as being a 'Penny Toy' designed as really cheap toys made for market stalls and 'Woolworth's' type of stores and likely to have come from one of the better known Japanese brands who used to supply cheap toys to the stores and 'ICHIMURA SHOTEN' is a likely company.

TheRollerman.

Re: What is this tin race car? 6 years, 10 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
Hello & welcome fairbs, I too looked at this & thought it was German & from a tinplate racing set.

Re: What is this tin race car? 6 years, 10 months ago #4

Welcome to the site from The Netherlands

.Can't help you out on this one, sorry

Re: What is this tin race car? 6 years, 10 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
How's this for a stroke of luck. Found this entry on Vectis auction site and they have attributed the toys in the picture as 'Pennytoy'.

(There is meant to be a picture here but it will not load)

These are typical cheaply made tinplate toy vehicles and while the model shown by "Fairbs" is not identical to the Two at the front, it is very similar in it's design.

Rollerman.
Last Edit: 6 years, 10 months ago by TheRollerman.

Re: What is this tin race car? 6 years, 10 months ago #6

Fresh Boarder
Hi,

Thanks for the responses so far. Penny Toy had closed my mind as had something used on a track or tracked board game. The offset axles which mean it will only move in  circle is the thing that is throwing me. It makes me think 'track or board game'. 

There was no picture in the reply from Rollerman. Was it from a forthcoming Vectis auction or a past one?

Re: What is this tin race car? 6 years, 10 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
Hello, the forum has stopped allowing me to upload images, I have tried several things, but none of them are getting through, so I will just say here, the Vectis auction was a past event.

Rollerman.

Re: What is this tin race car? 6 years, 10 months ago #8

Fresh Boarder
Thanks. Can you remember how you worded the Search on Vectis?

Re: What is this tin race car? 6 years, 10 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
Sorry no, because I was not searching for those but the image came up as part of another item I was looking for, usually something Rolls-Royce.

Rollerman.

P.S. Fairbs, I have sent you a message. Look at your tiny avatar at the top right corner of the screen and it should be showing NEW impyling you have a new message, click on it and it will take you to your messages.
Last Edit: 6 years, 10 months ago by TheRollerman.
  • Page: