S.H Horikawa VW Beetle Fire Cief
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
From Bing to Bandai to Yonezawa, here's where you can talk about all those colourful tinplate cars, buses, motorbikes, trucks and anything else with wheels!
  • Page:

TOPIC: S.H Horikawa VW Beetle Fire Cief

S.H Horikawa VW Beetle Fire Cief 4 years, 2 months ago #1

Junior Boarder
Hi everybody!

I recently purchase a VW Beetle Fire Chief by SH Horikawa. Mystery action, Horikawa Catalogue from 1977 I think. No box, some wear but fully working. I can't find any in google, only one I have seen but it's the Polizei or Police version, don't remember.

Can anybody tell me why this relatively "new" model is never seen around??

Thanks

Re: S.H Horikawa VW Beetle Fire Cief 4 years, 2 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
I don't know why you are not seeing them around apart from the fact whichever version you have is technically a toy. There are quite a number of versions in existance from 'HORIKAWA', 'SH' and 'TAIYO'. The Taiyo versions being the later incarnations

I know of Police, Fire Chief, Rally, normal road car and pretend 'Love Bug' versions.

Rollerman.

Re: S.H Horikawa VW Beetle Fire Cief 4 years, 2 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
Pass... Got a lot of VW.
Just not everything

Re: S.H Horikawa VW Beetle Fire Cief 4 years, 2 months ago #4

Junior Boarder
Thanks again!

The Beetle is exactly the same as shown on danefield: 

danefield.com/alpha/forums/topic/18787-horikawa-catalog-1977/

art. 5018 Mystery action, light and sound, marked SH on the plastic chassis.

No box

I'm new in forum so question: It's better I open another thread for a different question about a different model or can I do it here?

Re: S.H Horikawa VW Beetle Fire Cief 4 years, 2 months ago #5

Junior Boarder
Here he is: search with Bing, Horikawa Maggiolino, select images. That's wath I have!

Re: S.H Horikawa VW Beetle Fire Cief 4 years, 2 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
I don't use Bing and Google did not find it!

Rollerman.

Re: S.H Horikawa VW Beetle Fire Cief 4 years, 2 months ago #7

Junior Boarder

Try picclick.it horikawa volkswagen maggiolino
Last Edit: 4 years, 2 months ago by Tomlang.

Re: S.H Horikawa VW Beetle Fire Cief 4 years, 2 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
Found it and and anyone else searching for these models (toys), try using 'Horikawa Toys' as the parent company is 'Horikawa Toy Ind Ltd' with the 'SH' logo only being used as a 'Brand' for the toys they sold.

Its traditional in Japan to read everything backwards so while SH appears on the toys (SH inside a Diamond), it is actually HS (Horikawa San), a very well established toy retailer starting in 1959.

SAN placed after a company is often refered to as RESELLER (retailer of goods).

The Red VW Beetle looks quite old regards the tinplate body but wih a totally plastic baseplate sems to suggest late 60's early 70's.

You know that SH-Horikawa have mosrlty made Space based and Science fiction toys and so the cars they made are not as well known but this does not completely explain why there are so few of them, perhaps the company thought they could expand their product line by introducing other toys such as the cars we do know of, so I would consider that to be quite a rare model and worth saving.

Rollerman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tomlang

Re: S.H Horikawa VW Beetle Fire Cief 4 years, 2 months ago #9

Junior Boarder
Thanks Rollerman! I collect space toys so I know about Horikawa... The catalogue I took from danefield.com, a good site for reference. Yes, the Beetle is a model from 1977 catalogue and this time the "golden era" of Horikawa was already over. The chassis is plastic, it's cheaper made. I didn't know about SAN, the catalogue I speak is from Horikawa, maybe they used it.

With google I try still to find the same... As you see in italian Beetle is meaning maggiolino and in german kaefer, that's why in english is not coming out. Fortunately I know this languages so I can have a closer look!

Ciao and GRAZIE (thank you)!!

Re: S.H Horikawa VW Beetle Fire Cief 3 years, 11 months ago #10

Junior Boarder
Hi!

Seems to be very rare, could find only one owned by a member of thesamba.com....tried to sell for 90 US but nobody interested....Better I keep mine I think....

Re: S.H Horikawa VW Beetle Fire Cief 3 years, 11 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
As I always say, if it is not wasting space, keep it!

Rollerman.

Re: S.H Horikawa VW Beetle Fire Cief 3 years, 11 months ago #12

never heard of Horikawa

Re: S.H Horikawa VW Beetle Fire Cief 3 years, 11 months ago #13

Junior Boarder
That's why is not so common....only 3 different made, Police, Polizei and Fire Chief. Fire Chief is what I rarely found, sorry, only 1 eventually...

Re: S.H Horikawa VW Beetle Fire Cief 3 years, 11 months ago #14

Platinum Boarder
I find this to be an interesting "mechanism" that applies to not only toys, but all sorts of objects: the plainer, more ordinary, boring, unloved something is when new, the rarer it will become later...

Take toy cars, you can always find any Dinky, Corgi or Tekno for sale and buy it if you have enough money. Lots of them exist, the only problem is the price tags. They were always known as "quality toys", so people tended to save them, rather than discarding after use.

Beach toys and 'simplistic' models, on the other hand, rarely survive, since they weren't treasured from the beginning, so most have been thrown away after use.

The same with 1:1 cars - a large proportion of Porsche, Ferrari, Mercedes, Corvettes, Mustangs etc. have survived. On the other hand, unloved, "plain" or "boring" cars like Austin Allegro/Maxi, Simca 1307/1308, Skoda 105/120, Vauxhall Chevette and so on have all but disappeared.

So the situation tends to be like this: if you have an unlimited amount of money, it will be easy for you to find and buy any classic you want, but even all the money in the world will not make it easy to find a "lesser" item, for the simple reason that very few have survived, and this all means, that theoretically a seller can ask any price he/she wants, because there's little to no alternatives. So ironically, the unloved toys/cars/stuff of the past may end up selling for more than the classics!
Last Edit: 3 years, 11 months ago by Teebodk.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: S.H Horikawa VW Beetle Fire Cief 3 years, 11 months ago #15

Junior Boarder
That's right!! But even in nature the stronger will survive....humans strongness is unfortunately many times about money...

Anyway, we are the normal people but sometimes we are able to find something the rich people can not find....up to us to make money with this....
  • Page: