Marusan Cadillac, "queen" of tinplate cars
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
From Bing to Bandai to Yonezawa, here's where you can talk about all those colourful tinplate cars, buses, motorbikes, trucks and anything else with wheels!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Marusan Cadillac, "queen" of tinplate cars

Marusan Cadillac, "queen" of tinplate cars 4 years, 12 months ago #1

24c

Fresh Boarder
I collect Japanese and German tin cars up to 1963, when the dreaded plastic made its apparition and ruined what were beautiful toys. 
In 1953, the Marusan toy company, in collaboration with a genial tool maker named Matsuzou Kosuge,  produced what is possibly the finest tinplate toy car ever, despite that is is far from being rare, the 1951 Cadillac "Fleetwood". It became available in friction or battery powered and also with remote, cable controlled models. The most desirable are the battery powered versions with electric head and taillights. There are rare colors for that model, but here is the more common pale yellow with green roof. Takes 3 big fat "D" cells to get it to move. 

Rarer color schemes, single color or two-tone, are much more elusive, but the standard and beautiful, friction powered model in gray is very available as many are offered at online auctions, but for a price! 

Re: Marusan Cadillac, "queen" of tinplate cars 4 years, 12 months ago #2

Another superb car, high quality! The chrome detailling is stunning

Re: Marusan Cadillac, "queen" of tinplate cars 4 years, 12 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
Looks like a very well made model and true to the Cadillac design. It may be the angle of the photos but the only thing I can find that looks wrong on this car is the wing or no draft windows. The rear bar for the window to slide up and down in and the no draft to close against seems to be at a forward angle. This should be straight up and down. Minor point but that is what it looks like to me. It leans too far forward.

Re: Marusan Cadillac, "queen" of tinplate cars 4 years, 12 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
I used to love those pressed steel tin cars made in Japan. The first one I ever bought was the Edsel wish I still had it now, then again I would only wish my life away my mom would say.

Re: Marusan Cadillac, "queen" of tinplate cars 4 years, 12 months ago #5

24c

Fresh Boarder
Gentlemen, please remember that these tinplate cars were TOYS and not "scale models"!  If they were exacting models, I would not collect them because for me they would not have the charm and flavor they possess, which has made them so collectible. 

For Gunner Jim, there were quite a few Edsel tin toys made by quite a few companies but the finest is by ATC Asahi, and it took me a long time to find a decent one, and here it is:

The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco, GunnerJim, blackstone, RoutemasterNL

Re: Marusan Cadillac, "queen" of tinplate cars 4 years, 12 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
Toys or models, they are superb examples of the designers work in Japan.

Rollerman.

Re: Marusan Cadillac, "queen" of tinplate cars 4 years, 12 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
Yes ever part had to be designed and tooling dies made. I doubt if they did the part pressing with one die, while I would say the first one would be the draw die, followed by the shaping and punch die then the trim die for blanking off the scrap.

Re: Marusan Cadillac, "queen" of tinplate cars 4 years, 12 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
These are fabulous to see and it was nice how they made the cars recognisable to the real car but still as rather nice toys to have too.
  • Page: