to be continued - Pocher 1/8th scale - 1934 Rolls Royce Phantom II Torpedo
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
For all general discussion to do with kits!
  • Page:

TOPIC: to be continued - Pocher 1/8th scale - 1934 Rolls Royce Phantom II Torpedo

to be continued - Pocher 1/8th scale - 1934 Rolls Royce Phantom II Torpedo 7 years, 1 month ago #1

Platinum Boarder
Thanks to Dinkyfan (Terry) I had received his Pocher Rolls Royce kitset. As far as I can ascertain it appears complete. It will take some time to build so I thought I'd begin the photo session of parts one would normally not see with your average kitset.

First off, 80% of this model is primarily plastic. Quite highgrade stuff as the model will me quite heavy. The metal are shaped tinplate, springs, various screws and spokes, but I will disclose those later on. The metal is mostly in the trimming, lights, wheels, bumper and grille.

The stickers are silver foil or silver plated, and printed on to show logos. These will most likely not be copied so easily.

Details of the dials exquisite.

These are the decal transfers for the doors. Quite a few of them.

roof is a thin material precut.

Carpet and leather seats are precut, even the foam for the seats.

Thirty years of creases does create a wee problem. There was a little trick of the trade to get a crease out of leather... can't recall at the moment, but it does need to be done.

So here's the first lot of parts.

Kind Regards, Richard K
Last Edit: 7 years, 1 month ago by RVREVO.

Re: Pocher 1/8th scale - 1934 Rolls Royce Phantom II Torpedo 7 years, 1 month ago #2

Platinum Boarder
This looks like quality stuff and should be a real challenge for any model builder. Good luck and looking to progress pictures when you get started, probably this winter. Maybe an Iron will get the creases out. Place between to pieces of cloth though

Re: Pocher 1/8th scale - 1934 Rolls Royce Phantom II Torpedo 7 years, 1 month ago #3

Platinum Boarder
yes Jim, that was the method. But there's also a bit of time involved and I think a couple of my big heavy books may help flatten the creases.

Re: Pocher 1/8th scale - 1934 Rolls Royce Phantom II Torpedo 7 years, 1 month ago #4

what a detail in the few parts shown, Richard. Thanks a lot for showing and good luck with the project.

Re: Pocher 1/8th scale - 1934 Rolls Royce Phantom II Torpedo 7 years, 1 month ago #5

Platinum Boarder
Hoi Theo,

Yes, only a small amount of collectors or outset builders would see this impressive kitset.

Perhaps tomorrow I may show some more.
I still need to make space to build it.
Once I begin it will be completely focussed on getting it done.
The preparation is key, also takes a wee while, and also a save place to store while taking a few rest periods between frustrations.

Re: Pocher 1/8th scale - 1934 Rolls Royce Phantom II Torpedo 7 years, 1 month ago #6

Platinum Boarder
Initially when I opened the box noticed some bags had come loose from the flaps with the metal parts. Today have identified them all, and I'm missing one bag which had me poring over the book, exhaustive research on google to get a glimpse what parts #432 were.

#432 are not parts... they are tools, a couple of spanners and a hydraulic jack.

That's why they weren't in the instructions.

Re: Pocher 1/8th scale - 1934 Rolls Royce Phantom II Torpedo 7 years, 1 month ago #7

Platinum Boarder
whoops, posted too soon. #432 definitely missing.
But strangely not so important for the build.

so no need to worry.

Re: Pocher 1/8th scale - 1934 Rolls Royce Phantom II Torpedo 7 years, 1 month ago #8

Platinum Boarder
Seeing all those parts brought back so many memory's of me and my brother sitting around the table watching my dad scratching his head trying to piece is model together, oh happy days they were.

Re: Pocher 1/8th scale - 1934 Rolls Royce Phantom II Torpedo 7 years, 1 month ago #9

Platinum Boarder
Yeah, definitely need to be older to build this. Still, reasonably priced on ebay, but they will only ship to the US.

I'd love to add more, but am dependant on importers and they only do bulk.

Of course if I win lotto, then it will be interesting.

UPDATE July 2014: Pocher 1/8th scale - 1934 Rolls Royce Phantom II Torpedo 6 years, 2 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
Almost a year gone by and made little progress on the model.

1. out of the box, divided in categories, bigger body panels into a display cabinet to check size.

2. sorted out spokes into six groups.

3. first attempt making a wheel, ran into two major snags.

4. bought a soldering iron.

5. bought a secondhand already build wheel, to have a good study idea on how it all fits.

Some bits are so tiny I can't see them.

So that's my lack of progress.

Re: UPDATE July 2014: Pocher 1/8th scale - 1934 Rolls Royce Phantom II Torpedo 6 years, 2 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
One very complicated build, good luck Richard await the results of this. Looks like it may take a few years or more to complete.

Re: UPDATE July 2014: Pocher 1/8th scale - 1934 Rolls Royce Phantom II Torpedo 6 years, 2 months ago #12

Platinum Boarder
Yes Jay, it does appear that way.
All I really need is time to get started.
Couple days a week.
Phones off so that those slavedrivers at work leave me alone.
Rosters are constantly changed around the few who work a couple of days forcing the full timers to work every day.
And this is just the first week.

I found one completed wheel.

Perhaps I should start the nuild on the coachwork.

Re: to be continued - Pocher 1/8th scale - 1934 Rolls Royce Phantom II Torpedo 6 years, 2 months ago #13

Platinum Boarder
So this is what the finished article looks like hmm some serious model skills needed for this build...

Re: to be continued - Pocher 1/8th scale - 1934 Rolls Royce Phantom II Torpedo 6 years, 2 months ago #14

Platinum Boarder
michael77 wrote:
So this is what the finished article looks like hmm some serious model skills needed for this build...

I hope you will succeed in finishing this very complicated model one day and show it to the world.

Last Edit: 6 years, 2 months ago by Ecclesley.

Re: UPDATE July 2014: Pocher 1/8th scale - 1934 Rolls Royce Phantom II Torpedo 6 years, 2 months ago #15

Platinum Boarder
It's a very nice model indeed, amazing detail to it.
  • Page:
Moderators: scalemodelrestoration