Revival 1:20 diecast T35 Bugatti kit
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
For all general discussion to do with kits!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Revival 1:20 diecast T35 Bugatti kit

Revival 1:20 diecast T35 Bugatti kit 7 years, 6 months ago #1

Junior Boarder
I have had this Italian kit for around 30 years, and have just got round to building it.

Has anyone else had a go? some of the diecast parts such as the steering ball joints are impossibly thin, and break off readily. I don't like the front axle either- looks crude, so have made up my own in nickel, with the springs passing through it as fullsize.

Annoyingly, I have lost one of the four-branch exhaust manifolds, so I will have to make this up too.

I am a bit surprised they didn't replicate the body retaining screws and their lock-wires- the 1:18 CMC type 35 diecast has these in detail, so I will have a go at adding these. The locking wires need to be about .003", so I will see if I can find an old transformer or something with thin copper wires.

Will post pics when I get somewhere!

Re: Revival 1:20 diecast T35 Bugatti kit 7 years, 6 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
I have two of these, both the original Casadio Models versions. A P3 Alfa and Merceds W154 M163. The Alfa I have put together but I did have issues with the quality of some parts, the bonnet in particular ( I have included a photo of how it arrived ) and also the paint which I think is sub standard.

The Mercedes I still haven't finished the assembly (It's only 30 years you can't rush these things  

Revival are still in business and I see they have done away with the ugly plastic wheels in favour of aluminium.

Re: Revival 1:20 diecast T35 Bugatti kit 7 years, 6 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
Those hood hinges do look like they have seen better days. What happened there or did it arrive that way?

Re: Revival 1:20 diecast T35 Bugatti kit 7 years, 6 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
The bonnet arrived like that with the incomplete boss for the pin to fit

Re: Revival 1:20 diecast T35 Bugatti kit 7 years, 6 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
Wow, that is a suprising lack of quality control for such a large scale like this. Shame it happened.

Re: Revival 1:20 diecast T35 Bugatti kit 7 years, 5 months ago #6

Junior Boarder

Progress so far:

Just about ready to mount the body. I've drilled about 90 holes for the body screws; just got to glue them in next.

The front axle is my nickel replacement, which I think looks better.

I lost one of the 4-branch manifolds, and had to scratch build one of those.
Last Edit: 7 years, 5 months ago by tobermoryphil.

Re: Revival 1:20 diecast T35 Bugatti kit 7 years, 5 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
Looking good so far. Thanks for the update.

Re: Revival 1:20 diecast T35 Bugatti kit 7 years, 5 months ago #8

Looking good, thanks for the photos

Re: Revival 1:20 diecast T35 Bugatti kit 7 years, 5 months ago #9

Junior Boarder
A frustrating kit!

The bolts holding the front stub axles are too long, and bottom out, leaving about 30 thou clearence and a whole lot of wobble. I can't shorten them as there is not enough thread, so I have had to replace with 14 BA bolts and a bit of brass tube.

The propshaft cannot be assembled as per instructions- once you have fixed the engine and gearbox, you are faced with spigots on both ends. One has to go the get the shaft in.

The screw holes in the undertray do not line through with those to the upper body, so I have had to glue things together.

The bonnet fouls the front carburettor, so I will have to grind it a bit.

The magneto drive shaft has a pulley for the rev counter belt- whichever way you fit it, it doesn't line through with the other pulley.

But we are slowly getting there.

Re: Revival 1:20 diecast T35 Bugatti kit 7 years, 5 months ago #10

Junior Boarder
Nearly there!

I have still

got to fit the bonnet and bonnet straps; the bonnet (hood to you colonials!) needs the inside grinding away a bit to clear the front carb.

Wheelnuts still to be fitted.

I will add front brake levers and cables, plus the belt to the tacho drive; the keen eyed will note that there are body screws and petrol pipes added already. The locking wires do not show up much in this pic- they are .003" copper.

I enclose a pic of the box art for comparison- I think I am reasonably happy so far; I certainly prefer my plugleads!  I don't know whether or not to add the racing numbers- I think it looks better without.

Re: Revival 1:20 diecast T35 Bugatti kit 7 years, 5 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
Looking really good so far and almost done. NIce. and really looking the part.

Re: Revival 1:20 diecast T35 Bugatti kit 7 years, 5 months ago #12

Very nice work.

When it it finished it will look great. I tend to agree on not adding the racing number.

Re: Revival 1:20 diecast T35 Bugatti kit 7 years, 5 months ago #13

Junior Boarder
Now finished!

My only crit now is the front wheel track is a bit wide- I copied the original axle when I made up the replacement nickel one- if I made another I would correct things.

Shown alongside my CMC T35 for comparison.

The latter is a great model, but could have been even better. The excessive front wheel camber is easily  (but carefully) fixed, and I have removed the string from the steering wheel. The steel centre should not show at the rim of the wheel, so I will get the brown paint out.

The alloy wheels are disappointing- the spokes are outside the plane of the rim, and the ends curve into the rim. The spokes should be flat, and meet the wheel well inside the plane of the rim. Can't fix that one!

However the main gripe is- it's too shiny! All that chrome, even on bits that should be aluminium. There was no chrome on original T35's, something some American restorers forget- all brightwork was nickel, nickel plate, or polished bright steel. Chrome just looks wrong.

I will respray the wheels aluminium; paint the bonnet hinge and front crossmember body colour, and try and put some sort of wash over the radiator.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Dublin6

Re: Revival 1:20 diecast T35 Bugatti kit 7 years, 5 months ago #14

It IS looking great, well done

Could you show us some fine detailed photos of the engine please?

Re: Revival 1:20 diecast T35 Bugatti kit 7 years, 5 months ago #15

Junior Boarder
I don'y know why this has gone to a new topic, but the engine is shown on post 10 of the previous one.
After struggling for hours making the buckles from .010" brass wire, and getting holes in the strap to suit, I am reluctant to undo them for a while!
Sorry.
  • Page:
Moderators: scalemodelrestoration