Cranky Frank, Mad Max: Fury Road
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
For all general discussion to do with kits!

TOPIC: Cranky Frank, Mad Max: Fury Road

Re: Cranky Frank, Mad Max: Fury Road 4 years, 10 months ago #16

Gold Boarder
I just removed top detail from the doors. Seam in the middle of the door panel is just scribed line, original car is probably sectioned (meaning it has section removed from body to make it lower) and thus doors have very visible seams.

Re: Cranky Frank, Mad Max: Fury Road 4 years, 10 months ago #17

Platinum Boarder
Ah, thanks for the explanation. It has been so long since I have built any plastic kits.

Re: Cranky Frank, Mad Max: Fury Road 4 years, 10 months ago #18

Gold Boarder
I didn't have correct rear rims for this car, so I decided to build them myself. I used two leftover rims to make one, and new star shape 5 spoke shape from plastic sheet. Now all it needs is bit trimming to make those spokes even, and of course make another just like it

The following user(s) said Thank You: karls

Re: Cranky Frank, Mad Max: Fury Road 4 years, 10 months ago #19

Very clever Tomi, I see you use full wet Dunlops

Re: Cranky Frank, Mad Max: Fury Road 4 years, 10 months ago #20

Gold Boarder
Yep, they are closest thing in size that I have in my stash, also they are 1/24 while car is 1/25 so that also works for my benefit in this case. 100% correct tires are always bit difficult with these builds, so close enough is accurate enough

Re: Cranky Frank, Mad Max: Fury Road 4 years, 10 months ago #21

Gold Boarder
I was test fitting original Chevy chassis and it didn't fit due all body mods, it also didn't quite feel right. Just for giggles I decided to test fit Tamiya Mitsubishi Pajero chassis and hey, it's perfect (well, almost). It has steerable front wheels, working suspension and wheelbase is identical, with bit trimming this is the chassis I'll be using. Of course I leave 4x4 off

The following user(s) said Thank You: karls

Re: Cranky Frank, Mad Max: Fury Road 4 years, 10 months ago #22

Gold Boarder
One of the best moments in a project like this is first mock up. Ride height at rear is too high but front is near perfect.

Re: Cranky Frank, Mad Max: Fury Road 4 years, 10 months ago #23

cool!

Re: Cranky Frank, Mad Max: Fury Road 4 years, 10 months ago #24

Platinum Boarder
There should be some slope to the rear to front look but I think it may be too low if you drop the back so fenders are just over the wheel height. Might need taller tires.

Re: Cranky Frank, Mad Max: Fury Road 4 years, 10 months ago #25

Gold Boarder
In real car rear tires seem to be bigger, but this might be a bit problem as I dont have any in my stash so it just could be that these are the ones I use.

Edit. I did have ones that are bigger but they look wrong, so I'm going with artistic licence here
Last Edit: 4 years, 10 months ago by Tomi.

Re: Cranky Frank, Mad Max: Fury Road 4 years, 10 months ago #26

Gold Boarder
I was also thinking about dropping suspension real low, this image shows how low this car was before it got modified to handle Namibian terrain:

I kind of like this too, althought not very practical in rough conditions of wasteland. Or I go something in between...

Re: Cranky Frank, Mad Max: Fury Road 4 years, 10 months ago #27

That is awesome. Imagine being the driver, you hardly see the road

Re: Cranky Frank, Mad Max: Fury Road 4 years, 10 months ago #28

Platinum Boarder
That is awfully low for a wasteland truck. Maybe half way between what you have now and this would look good. LIke you say, artistic license

Re: Cranky Frank, Mad Max: Fury Road 4 years, 10 months ago #29

Gold Boarder
There is youtube video "snapper and Frank" where they actually drive this thing in a field with that low suspension, it moves surprisingly well

Re: Cranky Frank, Mad Max: Fury Road 4 years, 10 months ago #30

Gold Boarder
Today's effort is ridiculous scoop. This is completely scratch build item, could have been bit longer but as this turned out quite nice for first go I think I can live with it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL
Moderators: scalemodelrestoration