Cranky Frank, Mad Max: Fury Road
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
For all general discussion to do with kits!

TOPIC: Cranky Frank, Mad Max: Fury Road

Cranky Frank, Mad Max: Fury Road 4 years, 10 months ago #1

Gold Boarder
This will be my next Mad Max project, Cranky Frank from movie Mad Max: Fury Road. This is vehicle based on '48(?) Holden Utility Coupe and as you might guess there's no injection model available of such car (at least I don't know one). So, plan is to use '53 Chevy panel wagon as base and we'll how it turns out, if it turns out at all...

Anyway, this is going to be major build due all body mods needed so I reserve right to bin this if it drives me bonkers, but it probably will be most fun build to date. Here's pic of Frank so you know what I'm aiming for:

The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: Cranky Frank, Mad Max: Fury Road 4 years, 10 months ago #2

Show your magic there Tomi, you can do it
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tomi

Re: Cranky Frank, Mad Max: Fury Road 4 years, 10 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
Yes, go for it Tomi, tackle it while you are still on a high from the success of your last one, that was simply fantastic.

Rollerman.

Re: Cranky Frank, Mad Max: Fury Road 4 years, 10 months ago #4

Gold Boarder
Thanks for support guys Here's work so far, I have cut rear of the panel wagon top so that we now have basic pick up shape:

Some more cutting and fitting amt's '50 Chevy fenders and also forming rear of the roof from original panel wagon roof, crude shape is emerging:

Everything is very crude at this point, I'm going after basic shape first and finesse comes later.
The following user(s) said Thank You: karls, RoutemasterNL

Re: Cranky Frank, Mad Max: Fury Road 4 years, 10 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
This is going to be a very interesting project and I will be watching, for sure.
Good job so far with the fenders and the roof removal.

Re: Cranky Frank, Mad Max: Fury Road 4 years, 10 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
You have set yourself one hell of a task. Good luck with it Tomi.

Re: Cranky Frank, Mad Max: Fury Road 4 years, 10 months ago #7

Gold Boarder
Today's cut and glue resulted corrected shape on windshield area (cowl...?), same wedge shape continues on top section on windshield too but as there is sheet metal "sun vizor" that hides incorrect shape I don't see the need to fix that part of the roof. Also there is no actual windshield on this car so that makes things simpler.

Next step is to chop roof and glue it back to the body. Like dinkyjay said, this is one hell of a task but strangely enjoyable.
The following user(s) said Thank You: karls

Re: Cranky Frank, Mad Max: Fury Road 4 years, 10 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
It may be a little late to mention it but you can buy a 1/24th resin FJ body from Rick's Model Kits

Being an FJ you would need to make a grille but that may be easier.

Re: Cranky Frank, Mad Max: Fury Road 4 years, 10 months ago #9

Gold Boarder
Thanks mate, but I hate working with resin. And where's the fun in that Speaking of fun... Roof is chopped, narrowed and glued back to body... I took about 3mm slice off from rocker panels... Also I noticed that front fenders sit too high, so I sliced them off and glued back on lower position...

Now it needs that sheet metal sun vizor and front is starting to look like real thing.

Re: Cranky Frank, Mad Max: Fury Road 4 years, 10 months ago #10

Tomi, what are rocker panels?

Re: Cranky Frank, Mad Max: Fury Road 4 years, 10 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
Theo, they are under the doors and hold the floor to the front fender and firewall and to the cab of the truck. They are one of the first areas to go on older vehicles. You can see a seperation line front and rear on the older vehicles under the door lines. IN the case of this truck it would extend further back to the body of the cab.
Did I make that clear?

Re: Cranky Frank, Mad Max: Fury Road 4 years, 10 months ago #12

Yes Jim, thank you

Re: Cranky Frank, Mad Max: Fury Road 4 years, 10 months ago #13

Gold Boarder
Remember folks, english isn't my native language so feel free to correct if I get techical terms wrong. Rocker panels I did google up though Moving on, if you look original pictures of movie car you notice that rear fenders are way more bulkier than on stock Holden. In the spirit of the rat rod, I once again used rough and ugly to get where I'm going and sawed off rear fenders from Revell '54 Chevy sedan. Sliced them into three pieces per side and just glued them top of original fenders, once they are cured I will remove originals with Dremel tool.

Now with body parts from three different kits, this truly is one Frankenstein.

The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: Cranky Frank, Mad Max: Fury Road 4 years, 10 months ago #14

Gold Boarder
Body is now roughly shaped and it's time to start working with more finer details.

Re: Cranky Frank, Mad Max: Fury Road 4 years, 10 months ago #15

Platinum Boarder
Coming along nicely. I see you have the inside of the rear fenders chopped out now too.
Did you take out the top of the side doors and reshape them or use other left over material from the roof?
Moderators: scalemodelrestoration