For all general discussion to do with kits!

TOPIC: Mad Max 2 cars

Mad Max 2 cars 5 years, 4 months ago #1

Gold Boarder
So, my armor model projects are currently at stand still and no motivation to continue them whatsoever. So, something different is in order, and as new Max Mad movie opens in two weeks what would be more appropriate than Interceptor... Except this is not Interceptor. So, I guess most of you have seen Mad Max 2, there is opening chase where Max is chased by three vehicles. One of them is quite menacing looking black Ford Landau, dual wheels at rear and turbos sticking trough the hood. Less than two minutes this car is totalled...

I decided to give this a go since it's one of my favorite vehicles from that movie. Landau is more luxurious version of Falcon, and wasn't very succesful so injection model is non existent. Fortunately Aoshima used to make MM2 Interceptor model and that is good base to start. Obviously needs some bodywork:

This is where I'm now with this, it requires loads of scratch building and this seems to be just what I needed. Originally I was planning this to be ready when new movie opens, and although I'm making quite good progress I just don't see that happening.

As a bonus here's picture how tank wheel is perfectly ok as hub cap:

That's first and bit rough version, but still looks pretty fine. I almost have all the needed parts, still waiting '57 Buick front bumper and '59 Pontiac rear bumper and driver figure but other than that I'm sorted. Thanks for watching, updates will follow.

Tomi
Last Edit: 5 years, 2 months ago by Tomi.

Re: Mad Max 2 Ford Landau 5 years, 4 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
Very nice start Tomi. Keep up posted.

Re: Mad Max 2 Ford Landau 5 years, 4 months ago #3

That is a nice project you are working on Tomi. It is an all plastic model I assume?

Re: Mad Max 2 Ford Landau 5 years, 4 months ago #4

Gold Boarder
RoutemasterNL wrote:
That is a nice project you are working on Tomi. It is an all plastic model I assume?

Yes, if you don't count all the filler and putty
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: Mad Max 2 Ford Landau 5 years, 4 months ago #5

Gold Boarder
Rear light assembly done. Bit rough but I think that it'll do, specially after it's weathered and full of desert dust.

Re: Mad Max 2 Ford Landau 5 years, 4 months ago #6

Is that plastic or brass

Re: Mad Max 2 Ford Landau 5 years, 4 months ago #7

Gold Boarder
That's 0,5mm plastic sheet. It gets awfully brittle when it gets thinner so I left it bit on thick side, then again I don't have any actual measurements of real Landau available so I guess it don't really matter if it's bit off scale.
Last Edit: 5 years, 4 months ago by Tomi.

Re: Mad Max 2 Ford Landau 5 years, 4 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
Hello Tomi, being into modelling myself, I am finding this interesting having worked with a lot of plastic sheet over the Years.

Not being a fan of the 'Mad Max' movies, could you post a picture of the vehicle your model is based on, as most of us here are probably aware of those cars, it would still be nice to see what you are aiming for and yes, keep posting your progress pictures.

Rollerman.

Re: Mad Max 2 Ford Landau 5 years, 4 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
Something like this, I think.

1973 Ford Landau.

From the rear.

Last Edit: 5 years, 4 months ago by Nobleco.

Re: Mad Max 2 Ford Landau 5 years, 4 months ago #10

Gold Boarder
Exactly. Lower picture is of replica car, so rear bumper is wrong but if I hadn't found suitable part I would have gone with that configuration also.

Re: Mad Max 2 Ford Landau 5 years, 4 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
OK Thank's for that Guys.

Rollerman.

Re: Mad Max 2 Ford Landau 5 years, 4 months ago #12

Gold Boarder
Correct rear bumper arrived today ('59 Pontiac), it seems to be 1/25 as it doesn't need to be narrowed but that's just fine (Aoshima kit is 1/24). Quick chrome removal and some cutting and I was able to do test fit, it needs to sit bit higher than in picture but otherwise it looks just like it should look.

Re: Mad Max 2 Ford Landau 5 years, 4 months ago #13

Platinum Boarder
Looking good.

Re: Mad Max 2 Ford Landau 5 years, 4 months ago #14

Platinum Boarder
Here is an Airfix 12th scale 'Blower' Bentley engine I am building for my Father and those little link arms around the bottom of the Magneto are thin plastic sheet with Five little holes drilled and it was your earlier picture of the drilled holes for your rear lights unit that prompted me to put this here, sorry to hijack your thread...!

Rollerman.

Re: Mad Max 2 Ford Landau 5 years, 4 months ago #15

Platinum Boarder
That looks like quite the project. How long have you been working on it?
Moderators: scalemodelrestoration