Looking for a part, advice on how to build a custom, how to scratchbuild, paint or do something you've never tried before? Here's where to ask for assistance!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Masking over acrylics.

Masking over acrylics. 11 years, 6 months ago #1

Junior Boarder
I\'m taking the plunge and replacing all my Enamel paint with Testors Model Master Acrylics.

What would be the best procedure to mask and apply different colors?

Re:Masking over acrylics. 11 years, 6 months ago #2

I use both enamel and acrylics on my builds. Use an adhesion promoter and you shouldn\'t have any issues with paint lifting when you mask. As with any paint, allow plenty of dry time between coats. Use a good quality masking tape when you mask the model for painting. Same rule goes for making masks. The better the quality of the tape you use, the better the results.

Re:Masking over acrylics. 11 years, 6 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
one thing i do for masking is to use a aotomotive grade vinyl tape they come in very narrow guages and are about 5 dollars a role any shop that cateres to auto body will have these ....they are very good and very flexible

Re:Masking over acrylics. 11 years, 6 months ago #4

Junior Boarder
What is an \"adhesion promoter\"?
Also, I think Tamiya makes a thin, flexible, vinyl masking tape in a variety of widths.

Re:Masking over acrylics. 11 years, 6 months ago #5

Tamyiya makes excellent masking tape for models.
The adhesion promoter is also called an intercoat. Think of it as a clear primer that you spray between coats. It helps the paint stick better. Some of the diecast customizers and restorers use it over bare metal, polished castings when painting \"spectraflame\" paint.

Re:Masking over acrylics. 11 years, 6 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
now that is something new I learned.

better put the intercoat on my wishlist.

Re:Masking over acrylics. 11 years, 6 months ago #7

Junior Boarder
Where would you buy this \"intercoat\"?
Any brand names or links?

Re:Masking over acrylics. 11 years, 6 months ago #8

House of Kolor inner coat SG100 a clear used between coats with House of Kolor paints. I\'m not sure about the others, I\'ve only used this one before. Some of the guys on another board mentioned Bulldog, I can\'t say if it works or not. Make sure you use the proper thinner/reducer! I\'ve seen some real trainwrecks with guys using the wrong thinners.

Re:Masking over acrylics. 11 years, 6 months ago #9

Junior Boarder
Perhaps I should just stick with Testors Dullcoat/Glosscoat or Finish acrylic floor wax.

Re:Masking over acrylics. 11 years, 6 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
Very interesting, thanks for sharing all your knowledge.

Re:Masking over acrylics. 11 years, 6 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
i have used the hok before it is a little pricy but it is good .....basically all it dose is create a clear barrier for masking the next coat or it can be used as a sealer ....it can be had at a reasonable price from bearair .... i deal with them for all my airbrush stuff .

Re:Masking over acrylics. 11 years, 6 months ago #12

Platinum Boarder
RVREVO wrote:
now that is something new I learned. better put the intercoat on my wishlist.

Same here Richard, never heard of intercoat. Ihave heard of people clear coating before masking but I have never done that. I use Tamiya masking tape and it come is various widths. Flexible to a degree and works well for me. I let models dry for 2 or 3 days before masking anyway. I also try to mask along a body line if possible and run the first coat over the primer beyond where the mask line is so as to make the masking line less detectable after removing. Body lines hide the line but on flat metal I usually cut polish the line down.
  • Page:
Moderators: scalemodelrestoration