Looking for a part, advice on how to build a custom, how to scratchbuild, paint or do something you've never tried before? Here's where to ask for assistance!

TOPIC: Base fixing screws

Base fixing screws 7 years, 7 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
Hi all. Hoping someone can steer me in the right direction (maybe Jim N?)

Looking for a source of small flat pan head screws to refix modified HW,Corgi jr ,MB , Jl etc ie 1:64 ish scale (3") base plates to the body in black preferably. 100 of. My local hardware doesn't stock them and won't get them in for me, there used to be a fellow on Ebay selling them but not any more it seems.

Re: Base fixing screws 7 years, 7 months ago #2

I think Erwin (Dinkyboy) uses them too, perhaps he can help you out

Re: Base fixing screws 7 years, 7 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
Will ask him Ta Theo.

Re: Base fixing screws 7 years, 7 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
Erwin would be my guess as to whom to ask. He supplied me with a few different ones. Not cheap but they do the trick very well.

Re: Base fixing screws 7 years, 7 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
Drak,       I do have access to small type machine screws. I have not disassembled any 1/64 size toys, although I have many of my son's. Tooooo small for my eyes and dexterity. A few years ago yes, now I will salute those who do that work like Jim from down under and those marvelous trucks he assembles. You as well.

I compared a 4-40NC screw to some of the rivets and it may be to large. it is the smallest screw I use but for one specific other occassion. I can not even remember the size it was so small. The 4-40NC screw diameter is .109 inch., the head diameter is .210 and head height approx .055 What is the diameter of the casting rivet support/boss?

The head is what I call a button head, it is flat an holds a base plate perfectly. The top is slightly rounded, a Torox T6 screw driver fits sloppily but an Allen wrench .061 is perfect.

I am having problems with my computer and the nero picture program so I cannot show you any visual.  There are some pictures of a Dinky Toys Dodge,  I restored using similar but larger screws (6/32). Refer to Topic: DINKY DODGE ROYAL SEDAN SUSPENSION. 

The 4-40NC tap requires #43 drill bit. Tap and bit are an easy purchase not to expensive. I will gladly price them out for you, as well as look for smaller diameter screws, also including the necessary tap and drill and small "T handle" to hold the tap.

Nothing in it for me except to help out a TC/PD fellow toy lover.

Your thoughts ?    ...... and I will be glad to help out if I can.

dinkyboy
Last Edit: 7 years, 7 months ago by DINKYBOY.

Re: Base fixing screws 7 years, 7 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
Thanks for the replies guys

Hi Erwin, just the man it seems.

looking at 1/16 (#53 1-76nf) or (#50 2-56nc) button hd sounds fine and allen key works for me. I have drills of that size already, should also have the tap set in my shed somewhere though I haven't used it in years. So info would be handy in case i've lost it

Re: Base fixing screws 7 years, 7 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
Drak,,             Another topic to review, BASE PLATE SCREWS. a little over a year or so back, but some good pictures of what I use.

i will look for these;     1/16  #53 1-76NF

and/or

1/16  #50 2-56NC

Button Head

What about quantity?

I will also price the taps as well. 

I will get the information to you in a few days, my part time / retired other fun requires my responsibility to my university students. 

dinkyboy
The following user(s) said Thank You: Drak

Re: Base fixing screws 7 years, 7 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
Thanks, I will look that topic up.

Looking for at least 100 to start with. Shouldn't be too heavy for post? or maybe 2 lots of 50 if postage is cheaper that way?

Coolo Ta.

No immediate rush mate , I have a few model making friends who are teachers. Real life has priority .

Re: Base fixing screws 7 years, 7 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
"I use a 6-32 tap and then assemble with button head screws. It allows me to assemble and dis-assemble numerous times as is required. Final assembly I apply a "threadlock" type goop. Since I do not want any one to claim the product as "original", the screws are easy to see vs original rivet. The heads are small but wide enough to resemble the rivet and have the same ground (rug-hardwood floor) clearance.

Back to my 6-32 screws. These also serve as a secure fix. I highlight and emphasis that the toys are "playworthy". I have purchased a few that have the glued in rivet. Good for show, but playworthy - not. My grandchildren are great test drivers and every glued rivet eventually had to be replaced. I did so with my fix."                                                                                                                                                                                     The above is a post from Dinky boy. I agree wholeheartedly. The other benefit to screws is that you can still correct something if you've made a mistake ie: wrong colour shade etc. And if you should accidently drop it on a polished wood floor or harder surface than carpet the car falls apart if it's glued.

Re: Base fixing screws 7 years, 7 months ago #10

Check with your local model railroad shop. The 2-56 screws are the ones most commonly used by the restorers/customisers that take the time to screw their creations together. You can also find them online and on eBay if you are so inclined.

Re: Base fixing screws 7 years, 7 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
Hi Rob, Thanks for that. Good to see you still pop in occasionally

As for local railway shop or even a hobby store. Where I live there aren't any sadly, though will check out the ones i know in the city next time I go there (6hr round trip)

So internet for me is better.
Last Edit: 7 years, 7 months ago by Drak.

Re: Base fixing screws 7 years, 6 months ago #12

Platinum Boarder
Drak,                I visited the store Sat morning.

1/76NF  all sizes

2/56NC  all sizes

Many other sizes the same issue.

All have been back ordered for 2 months +. A recent price change in affect, will not know price until order is delivered. Bulk, usually 50 or 100 is much better than piece meal - meaning a few to a dozen.

My name and  phone number is on his active list.

I will update when I can. Sorry

He said this happened last year about the same time......

dinkyboy
Last Edit: 7 years, 6 months ago by DINKYBOY.

Re: Base fixing screws 7 years, 6 months ago #13

Platinum Boarder
Coolo Erwin Thanks for that. Guess we'll have to wait 'till they come in.

Length i'm looking for will be 1/8th" or 3mm (metric equivalent). Probably the 2-56nc as I can't find my nf tap. And definitely a bulk lot of 100.

Cheers.

Re: Base fixing screws 7 years, 6 months ago #14

Platinum Boarder
Drak,                 ..........update.

A split order has been shipped to the store. It is unknown what is in the order, he called today to harass me. A get-back from Friday.

I called him last Friday, no news then.  

Out of sight but not out of mind.

dinkyboy

Re: Base fixing screws 7 years, 6 months ago #15

Platinum Boarder
Thanks for the update Erwin, appreciate it. With any luck they'll be in this half
Moderators: scalemodelrestoration