Printing custom waterslide decals in the states?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Looking for a part, advice on how to build a custom, how to scratchbuild, paint or do something you've never tried before? Here's where to ask for assistance!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Printing custom waterslide decals in the states?

Printing custom waterslide decals in the states? 9 years, 2 months ago #1

Senior Boarder
I'm looking for some personal referrals for individuals or companies in the US that can print custom waterslide decals for me. I've done the google search and found some, but before I spend my money was really wanting to know if anyone has any experience (and likes) a company in particular? I'm usually always willing to trust referrals from other hobbyists versus what's on somebody's website.

Thanks in advance.

Russ

Re: Printing custom waterslide decals in the states? 9 years, 2 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
I have never used an outside source. I can't print white and I don't do art work but If I can copy text and logos etc I usually make my own decals. Bubble jet printer, Clear or White (you can get different colors) Decal Paper (About $1.00 per sheet). Just make sure you give them a clear coat as they will run in water. I have done a few for couple members here.

Re: Printing custom waterslide decals in the states? 9 years, 2 months ago #3

Senior Boarder
Cool - thank you. I have often thought that I need to just try buying the right printer and doing them myself.

Re: Printing custom waterslide decals in the states? 9 years, 2 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
That is about what I did. Start simple and then progress. It helps if you know a graphics program but a lot of people tell me they just use MS Word and word art. I use CorelDraw 11 myself.

Re: Printing custom waterslide decals in the states? 8 years, 2 months ago #5

Fresh Boarder
Agree with Jim. It's realy quit easy. I use excel or word. I sometimes find my logo on Google pictures and copy them to word or excel and try to make them smaller of bigger. Than print it on normal paper to find out if the size is right and than print it on decal paper i buy for Ebay. After printing spray a clear coat on it and after a few days cut them out, put it in water and slide it on the model. Afthe that, another clear varnish and it is ready.

Re: Printing custom waterslide decals in the states? 8 years, 2 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
CorelDraw is more accurate than MSWord.

go for a printer with separate colors. Ink printers are better than laser printers as the application is different.

I don't think any individual has mastered the art of layered printing which is what big printing companies used to do.

that's also how you can see the difference between fake and real. The old boxes were layered one color at a time and the final layer was the black lines

anyway. do a few test runs first with greyscale shades. No use wasting colours.
The reason is that some printers tend to reduce the actual size by approx 9%. Not sure why that is, but it appears to affect the modern printers.
the reasoning by using the Word Processor program is that you can zoom or retract the view of the virtual paper sheet to approximately the same size as actual A4 paper when you line the paper to the monitor.

I tend to measure by eye, what I see.

don't use shiny clearcoat. use a semi-matt. just like painting it might require a couple of coats.
ink dissolves in water
  • Page:
Moderators: scalemodelrestoration