ncc-1701 contract build
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Here's where to talk about everything from model kit renderings of The Starship Enterprise to Barbarella figures!

TOPIC: ncc-1701 contract build

Re:ncc-1701 contract build 10 years, 5 months ago #106

Platinum Boarder
The business end of the deflector array ......that was always my favorite view on the tv series
022-a336edb7c2610272203de6b284882d45.JPG

Re:ncc-1701 contract build 10 years, 5 months ago #107

Platinum Boarder
just another image that I liked .......it is a huge ship
023-caddc1e86bdeed81516ae77d4e9eda8f.JPG

Re:ncc-1701 contract build 10 years, 5 months ago #108

Platinum Boarder
Amazingly large. This has really captured my interest, being a Trekkie myself.

Re:ncc-1701 contract build 10 years, 5 months ago #109

Platinum Boarder
It is 34 inches from stem to stern.......at first i was unsure if i wanted to tackle the reliant for the same client that i am doing this one for , now i know what to look for and i believe if he still requires my services that i will do the reliant for him as well ......the only problem with the kit that he has is the lack of aztec decals .....so that is something that a frisket will need to be made for......the reliant will measure 36 inches

Re:ncc-1701 contract build 10 years, 5 months ago #110

Platinum Boarder
Yes, very large models indeed. Frisket? Don\'t know that term. I assume aztec is a decal maker or the model maker themselves. If so could you not contact them for a new set?

Re:ncc-1701 contract build 10 years, 5 months ago #111

Platinum Boarder
I\'ve got a Dinky sticker sheet of the Enterprise. Will this help with redesigning?

Last Edit: 10 years, 5 months ago by RVREVO.

Re:ncc-1701 contract build 10 years, 5 months ago #112

Platinum Boarder
I believe that the Reliant and the Enterprise are of different classes of ship so would have different markings etc. Not sure how many of those decals would cross over to the Reliant. I still have those decals you sent me by the way. maybe now with the new printer I can get them done for you. Just need measurements again as I think I lost those. Full scale scan of the whole sheet, no cropping and then the actual dimensions is best. That way I can scale to any scale I want. Takes some trial and error but the licence plates you sent me scaled at 43% look really good. Just have to print some on decal paper.

Re:ncc-1701 contract build 10 years, 5 months ago #113

Platinum Boarder
frisket is a low tack masking film that can be used tfor airbrush patterns
The aztec that was spoken of is the slightly darker panels on the outside of the starships , which resembles a aztec pattern ....hence the name

Re:ncc-1701 contract build 10 years, 5 months ago #114

Platinum Boarder
Thanks for explaining, that clears it up for me.

Re:ncc-1701 contract build 10 years, 5 months ago #115

Platinum Boarder
Low tack masking film. Does it come in rolls or in sheet form. While you were using the food rap on the model when airbrush spraying was the main purpose to shield the non painting area from over-spray. With the very fine needle in the airbrush can one get an clear straight line. All is new to me as I only used to use a six inch brush in a shake rattle can.

Re:ncc-1701 contract build 10 years, 5 months ago #116

Platinum Boarder
frisket is available in sheet form or larger rolls it is either clear or opaque .......basically you cut the desired shape from the frisket to use as either a positive or a negative mask ....apply to the piece being painted , burnish it down and apply paint with a airbrush.......A positive mask is when the cut out shape is the color to be applied and the frisket covers all else and a negative mask is when the shape is covering what you dont want to be done with the new color
Frisket can also be elevated slightly from the surface to be painted and this will create soft edges if sprayed from a look down angle ....or a more feathered edge is sprayed across the raised frisket at a 90 degree anfle......
Hope this helps .....i know alot of it sounds like giberish ....but experiment with the angles and the positive/negative and you will have a good idea then.

Re:ncc-1701 contract build 10 years, 5 months ago #117

Platinum Boarder
Does this come in a standard sheet, say 8.5 x 11 or A4? Can it be reused? Or is it a one time use like masking tape. Sure would be a lot easier to mask with this and plain masking tape.
Jim

Re:ncc-1701 contract build 10 years, 5 months ago #118

Platinum Boarder
and masking tape has other risks as well... like the glue

Re:ncc-1701 contract build 10 years, 5 months ago #119

Platinum Boarder
Where might a hobbiest buy this masking material. Is there an on line link?

Re:ncc-1701 contract build 10 years, 5 months ago #120

Platinum Boarder
I did a bit of search online in Australia and found a couple of places where I can get the fisket from.