For tanks, armoured cars, half-tracks and all other military vehicles!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Panther D

Panther D 4 years, 11 months ago #1

Gold Boarder
After two Mad Max vehicles it was time to get back on military subjects, and what's better than iconic tank like Panther. Tamiya has just released brand new D variant, and with it I'm going to use Tamiya's own aftermarket parts (gun barrel, single link tracks, engine deck grilles) designed for this kit.

This is very fast tank to build, everything fits perfect and there's very little clean up to do. I'm going to make minor battle damage but nothing too fancy, main focus will be on painting and weathering.
Last Edit: 4 years, 11 months ago by Tomi.

Re: Panther D 4 years, 11 months ago #2

Another one of you high quality projects. I shall follow it closely, because I really admire your work
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tomi

Re: Panther D 4 years, 11 months ago #3

Gold Boarder
Tools in place

The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: Panther D 4 years, 11 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
Looking good so far. Will it stay the desert Tan color?

Re: Panther D 4 years, 11 months ago #5

Gold Boarder
Color scheme will be dark yellow base with green mottling. I have this Kagero Topcolor series book about Panthers, it has color profile pics of several variants and I found suitable for this project from there. Really nice touch with that book is that it includes decal sheet with decals for each tank seen in book, in three different scales. So decals are really only non Tamiya item with this build, and probably going to replace side armor with thinner plastic sheet.

Re: Panther D 4 years, 11 months ago #6

Gold Boarder
Cat is now almost ready for primer, just some minor clean up to do. I replaced kit's schurzen (side armor) with thin plastic sheet for more scale appearance, I'm also leaving most of it out. Missing in action Normally I paint tools separately but in this case I'm just going to pick them out with brush after tank is painted.

Re: Panther D 4 years, 11 months ago #7

It is very detailled. I took a closer look at the tools on the side and it is impressive. That axe looks so real, even when it is not painted yet.

Re: Panther D 4 years, 11 months ago #8

Gold Boarder
Latest Tamiya kits are real treat. Not that they were bad earlier but level of detail has certainly gotten better with these latest efforts, and still they manage to keep part count relatively low compared to some other brands.

Re: Panther D 4 years, 11 months ago #9

Gold Boarder
Red brown primer now airbrushed on. Instead of grey Tamiya primer I tried this Vallejo product, seems to be ok stuff. It's also quite handy that it comes in few different colors, especially germans used red brown primer in their vehicles.

Re: Panther D 4 years, 11 months ago #10

Never heard of this brand, do you have to dilute it or is it a ready mixed product?

Re: Panther D 4 years, 11 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
Acrylic polyurethane is what it says on the bottle so I would think so, Theo

It looks similar to my wife's Acryl paints that are thinned with water.
Last Edit: 4 years, 11 months ago by Nobleco.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: Panther D 4 years, 11 months ago #12

Gold Boarder
RoutemasterNL wrote:
Never heard of this brand, do you have to dilute it or is it a ready mixed product?

This particular product is ready to use, just pour it into airbrush and you are good to go. Vallejo has quite nice range of acrylics, white cap bottles are for brush use (can be used for airbrushing too but have to be thinned) and black cap bottles are airbrush ready. I use Vallejo paints whenever I need to brush paint something as Tamiya acrylics are best suited for airbrush use.

Re: Panther D 4 years, 10 months ago #13

Gold Boarder
Ok, after small break camo is now sprayed, dark yellow is 50/50 mix Tamiya dark yellow and deck tan, green motling is nato green. These are sprayed over two layers of hairspray.

After camo is done and let dry for some time, chipping begins. I'm trying to keep it very subtle and mostly areas of damage and crew wear. Exhaust gets most treatment because of heat.

Re: Panther D 4 years, 10 months ago #14

It looks so realistic, that is great crafsmanship
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tomi

Re: Panther D 4 years, 10 months ago #15

Gold Boarder
Decals, next step is to seal them in with thin layer of matt varnish.

• Page:
Moderators: Modelguru