Ford Thames police "prisoner" van by Telsalda
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Yes, we know it's a little bit of a contradiction in terms, but here's where you can talk about Norev, Minialuxe, Siku, Polistil, Tomte, Auburn, Sun Rubber or any other ready-made model car that's made of plastic or rubber. Hey, they're still cast in dies!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Ford Thames police "prisoner" van by Telsalda

Ford Thames police "prisoner" van by Telsalda 5 years, 4 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
I bought this toy over 25 years ago at a boot sale for about 20p the roof was broken & I repaired it with some car filler. That is how I left it. I have a few "Airborne" versions & the mini bus of which I have seen quite a few examples of over the years but I have only ever seen one other of the police version. I have a few models which I have made good ones up from in the past & I bought a damaged airborne with rear doors  the other week, so today I decided to cut out the roof from one  & re-fit it to the Police one. After a couple of hours I ended up with the model in the pictures. I have no record of the other I saw so if anyone knows what the removeable roof looked like please let me know, it also had "prisoner" figures.

Re: Ford Thames police "prisoner" van by Telsalda 5 years, 4 months ago #2

I can't help you with any further info, but you did a superb job.
Last Edit: 5 years, 4 months ago by RoutemasterNL.

Re: Ford Thames police "prisoner" van by Telsalda 5 years, 4 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
A wonderful repair job there Andy. Never seen this model before thanks for sharing.

Re: Ford Thames police "prisoner" van by Telsalda 5 years, 4 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
Hello Andy. On this occasion, I can not help you as I have lost access to my 50,000+ files when my laptop had to have a new Hard drive fitted and the shop could not recover any of my data, however, I don't recall having any pictures of the 'POLICE' version Thames you are showing in your pictures above, but as so many of these models were based on contemporary models from Corgi and Dinky, I suspect the missing roof section will be very close to the Corgi Commer 'POLICE' Van, with a single blue lamp on top and the panel was probably just clipped-in to the opening we can see on your model.

Rollerman.

Re: Ford Thames police "prisoner" van by Telsalda 5 years, 4 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
Many thanks for your comments.

The roof was made to come off like the mini bus version I have, so as the figures could be moved around , they were fitted to the seats by pushing them on to the "pins" sticking up from the seats, I don't recall it having a light , or if the plastic was clear or blue tint like the rear windows.

Re: Ford Thames police "prisoner" van by Telsalda 4 years, 2 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
I have some progress in info on this model & have added these correct resto's to the van bars on windows & decals , I have had a great breakthrough with this model & will add pictures next week

The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: Ford Thames police "prisoner" van by Telsalda 4 years, 2 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
Since my last posting here, I have now managed to retrieve all my files and folders from a stricken hard drive, not by letting a professional do it at enormous expense, but by buying an Apple Macbook Pro (Second hand price of £600) and using a docking station plugged into the USB.

What this small outlay has done for me is get me a spare very well made laptop and all my files back, plus I can do the same trick again when needed or help friends do their file retrieval.

As I mentioned in my earlier post above, I did not recall having any pictures of the Thames POLICE Van and now I have checked my original files, I was right, I have nothing on this particular model, but Andy seems to be coping quite well with his restore, just a shame we do not fully know what the top looked like.

Rollerman.

Re: Ford Thames police "prisoner" van by Telsalda 4 years, 2 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
I mentioned here once before on the site that all you have to do to recover an operating system hard drive is make it a slave and attach it to your computer either internally or externally. You then have access to all your files as if it was originally a storage device.

Having said that, you should always divide your hard drive into an operations drive and a storage drive. Called Partitioning. I have a 1 terrabyte hard drive and I made it half and half but should have made it about  1 quarter 3 quarter as I have too much room on the operation partition and not enough on the storage section

Re: Ford Thames police "prisoner" van by Telsalda 4 years, 2 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
Jim, it did not matter how I connected the hard drive, or to which computer (I have 5 computers in my possesion without the VAIO I am using now or the Macbook I brought), and in none of them was I able to use it until it it was re-formatted which would have wiped my files. Only the Macbook saw it as a separate storage area, giving me access to the files without formatting!

Rollerman.

Re: Ford Thames police "prisoner" van by Telsalda 4 years, 2 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
Watch this post.

Re: Ford Thames police "prisoner" van by Telsalda 4 years, 2 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
I bet he's gone and brought another, more complete example. I'll not have to be so far away from mt laptop now in case I miss the next posting from Andy...!

Rollerman.

Re: Ford Thames police "prisoner" van by Telsalda 4 years, 2 months ago #12

Platinum Boarder
If it was a Mac hard drive that makes sense. If it was a Microsoft compatible drive you have to change it from a Master to a slave to read it on a PC. A PC will always see it as a master or bootable drive otherwise. Making it a slave turns it into a storage device from a Bootable Drive. Bootable drives, for those who don't know, are the drive that the operating system is on. Other drives in your computer, if you have any, are always secondary drive of slaves.

I am happy that you got it to work and £600 is not cheap but probably cheaper than an engineer doing it for you.
Last Edit: 4 years, 2 months ago by Nobleco.

Re: Ford Thames police "prisoner" van by Telsalda 4 years, 2 months ago #13

Platinum Boarder
The stricken hard drive came out of the VAIO laptop I am using to type this, but it would no longer work in the same machine it came out of and no matter what other PC or laptop I plugged it into, it was not recognized as a separate storage facility until it was formatted!

Plugging it into the Mac was no problem, so that was the answer.

Rollerman.

Re: Ford Thames police "prisoner" van by Telsalda 4 years, 2 months ago #14

Platinum Boarder
Most hard drives for PC's have some black (usually black) clips that go over pins on the end of the drive where you plug it in. You have to move them to make it a slave. If there is no legend on the drive you can find it at the drive makers site. Make the drive a slave and any PC will be able to read it as a slave or secondary drive, like a CD Player. If you don't do that it won't see it or will want you to formatte it or tell you it is not compatible with your system.

Re: Ford Thames police "prisoner" van by Telsalda 4 years, 2 months ago #15

Platinum Boarder
I have had to wait a long time but I am getting closer with this, it came today & I am over the moon with it, alas the transparent roof is missing & the prisoner is the female from VW camper / Thames minibus set although I suspect that the males from these sets were the "prisoners" form this & the box say's with police officers & prisoners so I take it there was either a standing or seated figure of a policeman other than the driver . I also believe that the removable roof from the VW camper is what went on this model, I don't know why but I have not tried the one from the set I have but I will do, I think it may have been moulded in the blue tint transparent as were the later minibus versions done withe moulded roof rack on.

The quest continues!

• Page: