OK Toys battery operated 1/20 Hong Kong
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Yes, we know it's a little bit of a contradiction in terms, but here's where you can talk about Norev, Minialuxe, Siku, Polistil, Tomte, Auburn, Sun Rubber or any other ready-made model car that's made of plastic or rubber. Hey, they're still cast in dies!

TOPIC: OK Toys battery operated 1/20 Hong Kong

OK Toys battery operated 1/20 Hong Kong 6 years, 2 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
These models were possibly aimed as a cheaper toy to the Triang Minic Electric 1/20 cars. The ones I have & know of were Morris cars & there is a lovely model of a Rover 2000 which is on my wish list. These cars came with the base models with just motorized forward & reverse & the dearer cars with working head lights & lighted features. All models had steerable front wheels. My set towing a sailing dinghy is the only one other than one sold by Vectis is the only one I have ever seen.

the boxed example does not have working lights it has "gem" head lights

blue light illuminates with head lights

roof light illuminates with head lights

very scarce set

beautiful artwork on box

opening doors & bonnet

battery compartment like the Triang models
The following user(s) said Thank You: blackstone

Re: OK Toys battery operated 1/20 Hong Kong 6 years, 2 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
'KADER' in Hong Kong are the original company to make the toys which are often marketed as 'OK', often with the 'OK' logo on the baseplate and boxes. Their total toy product line can compete with many of the bigger toy companies like Tri-Ang, Merit and Tudor Rose.

In the UK, they date back to 1962, with a slot racing set based on the 'SCALEXTRIC'  sets of the time, but once they hit upon vehicles, there was no stopping them.

I agree with you "Andy66", that those big models were based on the Tri-Ang 'MINIC' cars as a cheaper version range, but with a few working features.

'OK' toys were distributed in the UK by Don Bricks in East London. I don't know how long they were available in the UK, but like most of the other Hong Kong toy vehicles ranges, four or five years seems to be the norm.

I have been keeping a running listing of 'OK' toy cars, so when I can, I will post it here for you,

TheRollerman.

Re: OK Toys battery operated 1/20 Hong Kong 6 years, 2 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
Very nice indeed.

The A60,A40 farina style cars were what got me hooked as a child.

Frame.

Re: OK Toys battery operated 1/20 Hong Kong 6 years, 2 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
Thanks for the info Rollerman I look forward to your running list

Re: OK Toys battery operated 1/20 Hong Kong 6 years, 2 months ago #5

Another collection of beautiful cars, my favorite is the set with the boat. thanks for sharing Andy

Re: OK Toys battery operated 1/20 Hong Kong 6 years, 2 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
Another super collection these Andy, thanks for sharing.

Re: OK Toys battery operated 1/20 Hong Kong 6 years, 2 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
Many thanks, I am glad they are of interest.

Re: OK Toys battery operated 1/20 Hong Kong 6 years, 2 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
One very impressive collection, I can look at those for hours. My favorite the red one, the dad of my childhood friend had the very same car and I sat in it many times. Nifty automobile.
Last Edit: 6 years, 2 months ago by Ecclesley.

Re: OK Toys battery operated 1/20 Hong Kong 6 years, 2 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
I agree, "Andy66" has the most comprehensive collection of plastic vehicles I have ever seen and he really should consider putting them into a book, and by having such a collection, it automatically affords him some expertise in the subject.

I personally don't have a collection to compete with that, more a historical researcher of the companies making those toys, but am happy to help "Andy66" in supplying information towards him enjoying his collection further and as mentioned in an earlier post, here is a listing of the vehicles I know of to be made and or marketed as an 'OK' product, and they include models with the 'OK' logo moulded onto the baseplate or have been sold in boxes with the same logo printed on the main face or end-flaps.

There are some models in boxes not marked with the 'OK' logo and I believe these were intended for other distributors to use, but they do not always put a 'Brand' name or logo on them.

I also thought I would post a picture of a Rolls-Royce set from 'OK' just because I think it looks fantastic.

These were sold seperately and you can see the two model's catalogue numbers on the end-flap'.

'OK' MODELS LISTING:

3744.....Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud saloon.

3744 3750.....Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud saloon and Horse Box.

3744 3745.....Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud saloon and Caravan.

3750.....Horse Box.

3745.....Caravan.

3744.....The Gold Rolls-Royce (model 3744 in gold vacumn finish).

3356.....Morris Oxford saloon.

33??.....Morris Oxford 'Police Car'.

33??.....Morris Oxford 'Taxi'.

3356 33??.....Morris Oxford saloon and Boat on trailer.

3311.....Jaguar E-Type.

3318.....Rover 2000 saloon.

3368.....Morris 1100 saloon.

3368A.....Morris 1100 saloon (working lights).

3369.....Jaguar Mk10 saloon.

3316.....Morris Minor Van 'Royal Mail'.

3316A.....Morris Minor Van 'Telephone Exchange'.

.....Ford Mustang coupe (Friction Power).

.....Mercedes-Benz 220 SE saloon (Friction Power).

.....Mercedes-Benz 220 SE saloon (Battery Power).

.....Jaguar XK 120.

.....MG 1100 saloon.

.....Citroen DS saloon.

....."Dreamliner" Futuristic open top car.

....."Route-Master" Double deck bus.

.....Turntable Fire Escape appliance (copy of Dinky Toy version).

.....Albion Tipper Truck.

.....Albion Pipe Transporter (this is 13 inches long!).

As you can see, I don't have all the catalogue numbers, but I am sure you can fill these in from your own models and you will have models not on the list, so please add them so we can compile a fuller listing.

There only seems to be two sizes of models made, those around the 1/32 nd scale with the '37' series catalogue numbers and those around 1/20 th scale with the '33' series catalogue numbers, but please correct this if you find this is not the case.

They also have variation models like the Morris Oxford where they have done the saloon car then a police car and then a taxi and while I don't have all catalogue numbers the fact that the saloon car is '3356' the others may well be '3356A' and '3356B', but again if you know this is not the case, let me know, so I can update this listing for my own records, thank's.

TheRollerman

Re: OK Toys battery operated 1/20 Hong Kong 6 years, 2 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
Many thanks Rollerman, the taxi & police car are both marked 3356 so the boxes which I don't have for these, may have the numbers on ,the box I have for the base saloon with gem lights is numbered 3356.

I like the Rolls set & have been out-bid many times for this set.

Here are some friction models which I have & the numbers as on base. I saw a yellow Telephone Minor van on E-bay a couple of weeks ago. 

No number on base

Last Edit: 6 years, 2 months ago by Andy66.

Re: OK Toys battery operated 1/20 Hong Kong 6 years, 2 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
Good collection there well done.

Re: OK Toys battery operated 1/20 Hong Kong 6 years, 2 months ago #12

Platinum Boarder
I like these toys but the scale is too large for me. Don't see them around here anyway. Thanks for showing as I don't get to see good examples very often

Re: OK Toys battery operated 1/20 Hong Kong 6 years, 2 months ago #13

Platinum Boarder
I have found the catalogue number for the Albion Cement mixer...

It is...3747.

Re: OK Toys battery operated 1/20 Hong Kong 6 years, 2 months ago #14

Platinum Boarder
Some wonderful stuff Andy. I really like the Morris Minor post office telephone van.

Re: OK Toys battery operated 1/20 Hong Kong 6 years, 2 months ago #15

Platinum Boarder
I have found the catalogue number for the 'Route-Master' and to be honest, this is possibly the worst model marketed by 'OK' and clearly not originally made by them. It is a red double decker, but not at all based on the real 'RM' that we all know and love, however, the number is...

...3358, oh look at that front and extra door!!!

Rollerman.