Yes, we know it's a little bit of a contradiction in terms, but here's where you can talk about Norev, Minialuxe, Siku, Polistil, Tomte, Auburn, Sun Rubber or any other ready-made model car that's made of plastic or rubber. Hey, they're still cast in dies!

TOPIC: Marx Toys Cadillac

Marx Toys Cadillac 6 years, 6 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
I believe this large scale Cadillac was a kit by Marx Toys

Re: Marx Toys Cadillac 6 years, 6 months ago #2

Andy

How big is that one, can you put a Dinky beside it for scale...Great looking item...and in great condition as usual....

Niall

Re: Marx Toys Cadillac 6 years, 6 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
Thanks Niall, It is 370mm long , it does have some bits missing & a bit of glue residue on it but it displays well

Re: Marx Toys Cadillac 6 years, 6 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
Jesus that's big. Nice motor too.

Re: Marx Toys Cadillac 6 years, 6 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
It's small compared to the pedal cars!

Re: Marx Toys Cadillac 6 years, 1 month ago #6

Platinum Boarder
I bought this today at an Auto Jumble, it is a Mercury" Woody" Station Wagon from the same series,  it is still complete with the metal jack & spanner for wheels with it's spare wheel . This one has moving engine parts , bright coloured in a perspex casing which operates by the back axle when the car is moved along .

Just needs a good clean & the front grill etc re-painting

Re: Marx Toys Cadillac 6 years, 1 month ago #7

Platinum Boarder
WOW mate not seen that one before, very nice, well done. What else did you get? Any pedal cars over there? You always do well there. Shame about the weather.

Re: Marx Toys Cadillac 6 years, 1 month ago #8

Platinum Boarder
Due to the weather it was disappointing although I was well pleased with this one as it is so unusual, I only bought a Dinky toy Pontiac Parisienne , will put picture on Dinky topic & a Telsalda Sunbeam Rapier which needs a wheel. No pedal cars apart from some recent ones.

Re: Marx Toys Cadillac 6 years, 1 month ago #9

Platinum Boarder
After a clean & grill paint

Re: Marx Toys Cadillac 6 years, 1 month ago #10

For me a first too, beautiful car

Re: Marx Toys Cadillac 6 years, 1 month ago #11

Senior Boarder
First time that I see those models but they are looking great, I like the mechanical parts of the Woody, Congrats

Patrick

Re: Marx Toys Cadillac 6 years, 1 month ago #12

Platinum Boarder
Andy66,     I remember seeing the Merc Wagon in a Candy - NewsPaper - Cigar - Toy Store (all the same store) when I was young. It remained on the top shelf for a long time, then one day it was gone. It was around '54. Bummer! 

Thanks for sharing your '53 Merc.

dinkyboy
Last Edit: 6 years, 1 month ago by DINKYBOY.

Re: Marx Toys Cadillac 6 years, 1 month ago #13

Platinum Boarder
Great story Dinkyboy, that helps me with the age of it, I had a look at a couple on Google & a couple of boxed ones sold on Ebay USA, one was complete with all the tools & the water slide wood transfers still on there backing card. They are really nice toys.

Re: Marx Toys Cadillac 6 years, 1 month ago #14

Platinum Boarder
Andy66, The Merc design for three years began in '52, it had the bumper with upright bumperets. Below the bumperets were round lights. The '53 had the "Marilyn Monroe's" replacing the bumperets and lights. The '54 had a refined grill / bumper and tail-light change. The "V8" on your hood(bonnet) and "V8" on the tailgate was really a Ford emblem. The Merc's all had a badge with the Mercury profile on it. As a youth and teen, I liked Merc's.

Your cleaned up nicely. 

dinkyboy

Re: Marx Toys Cadillac 6 years, 1 month ago #15

Platinum Boarder
thanks Dinkyboy, when I first looked at the car on the stall I thought it was a Ford because of the badge the seller, who was Dutch told me he had bought it in America but he did not know any history of the model of what it was.I bought it on instinct as I knew it would not be there for long , after agreeing a price which I thought was very good it was mine.