Yes, we know it's a little bit of a contradiction in terms, but here's where you can talk about Norev, Minialuxe, Siku, Polistil, Tomte, Auburn, Sun Rubber or any other ready-made model car that's made of plastic or rubber. Hey, they're still cast in dies!

TOPIC: Tudor Rose England

Tudor Rose England 6 years, 8 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
Here are some "polythene" plastic toys from Tudor Rose The smaller scale are rarer. The tipper truck is clockwork, the company eventually added friction drive models one of which is a large scale Mini Traveller.

These Thames Trader's are Tudor Rose style they may be by Rosendale Toys

Re: Tudor Rose England 6 years, 8 months ago #2

Nice,

that 15 ton dump truck is very similar to the Euclid by Dinky

Oh and I remember, I have a few plastic Routemasters, I think one of them is by Tudor Rose

Re: Tudor Rose England 6 years, 8 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
Very very nice mate ..............But love that box for the delivery van (C A Bedford).

Re: Tudor Rose England 6 years, 8 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
Many thanks all, if anyone has pictures of Tudor Rose toys please post.

Re: Tudor Rose England 6 years, 1 month ago #5

Platinum Boarder
Just got this very nice Tudor Rose friction drive plastic Routemaster bus, reg no. is VLT8. Another nice piece of artwork on the box showing a couple of MK2 Ford Consuls with the buses in Trafalguar Sq.

The Rosedale one , made by Tudor Rose.

Re: Tudor Rose England 6 years ago #6

Yep, that is the one I have too, thanks for sharing

Re: Tudor Rose England 6 years ago #7

Platinum Boarder
Here is one of my all-time favourite TUDOR ROSE models. Made in the soft Polythene plastic in Silver-Grey and first appearing on the UK market in 1967. It comes from a range of similar models to include a Ford Model 'T', Morris Oxford 'Bullnose' and the 1904 Darracq, "Genevieve".

It is based on "AX 201", 'The Silver Ghost' in 1/18th scale. 

Rollerman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: blackstone

Re: Tudor Rose England 6 years ago #8

Platinum Boarder
'TUDOR ROSE' was the trading name used by 'Rosedale Associated Manufacturers Ltd' set up by a Mr Islyn Thomas in the mid-40's. He eventually had factories in London, gloucester and Glamorgan.

Their product line was vast, not only the type of toys we have seen posted here already, but toddler's toys, household goods and several ranges of friction powered toy vehicles.

They had many collaborations with other companies including Mettoy, Marx, Ideal and Kleeware.

A huge range of toys were made from tooling borrowed from the United States, from companies also set up by Mr Thomas (lending his name to one of these as...'Thomas Toys'), and 'PYRO'.

I have been collecting Tudor Rose for many years while researching the company, I have also been trying to keep a running list of the products they have produced, but as I mentioned earlier, it is vast!

Some vehicles were made from tools originating from France and you can collect both versions, the Tudor Rose version with Silver-Grey wheels or the French version with coloured wheels, but without any 'Branding' moulded into the plastic!

Tudor Rose also made toys for the Spanish 'NACORAL' company including some Veteran car models based on their own range that the Rolls-Royce comes from.

They have made several versions of the London 'RM' bus including a musical 'Pull along', a 'Friction Powered' version marketed as 'TUDOR ROSE' a 'Friction Powered' version marketed as 'ROSEDALE', a 'Silver Jubilee' version and a version made for 'METTOY', this last one is not that surprising, as 'METTOY' purchased 'TUDOR ROSE' during 1978.

That will do for now as there is so much more, maybe some more later with more pictures.

TheRollerman.

Re: Tudor Rose England 6 years ago #9

Platinum Boarder
Many thanks for sharing your knowledge on Tudor Rose , Rollerman, there were some very nice toys produced by this company. I have been told that a Batmobile was made but I have yet to see one, the other model which is very nice is the Mini traveller which was available as friction drive or battery operated, this model commands a high price hence missing from my collection.

Re: Tudor Rose England 6 years ago #10

Platinum Boarder
Tudor Rose made a Batman flying platform and the Batmobile in 2 sizes also the Bat plane too and if you ever come across any of the above expect to pay big money for them as they are VERY expensive nowadays

Re: Tudor Rose England 6 years ago #11

Platinum Boarder
I was told by a guy who only collects Tudor Rose that there was a fire at the factory which he lived near, this destroyed a lot of  the stock of Batmobiles, he told  he can remember as a kid he & his friend used the  bodies of the Batmobile which they found dumped at the factory as skates! He said he had wished he had kept them.

Going back to the Routemaster bus, I had a large scale one made of tougher plastic about the same scale as the Triang sit on one as a kid it was also made by Tudor Rose, I also had a large canon which fired yellow plastic balls which were the same size as tennis balls , so gives you an idea of the canon size.
Last Edit: 6 years ago by Andy66.

Re: Tudor Rose England 6 years ago #12

Platinum Boarder
There was only 600 of the DC Comics caped crusaders Batmobiles made by Tudor Rose and they where salesman's samples and are holy grails for Batman collectors and these go for five figure sums

Re: Tudor Rose England 6 years ago #13

Platinum Boarder
Michael, do you believe the factory fire was true ? if so this answers to the rariety of these models & why only the salesman's samples exist.

Re: Tudor Rose England 6 years ago #14

Platinum Boarder
The  Cinderford plant was totally destroyed by fire in 1968 and had to be demolished and was never rebuilt there is documented evidence it happened in the London papers of the time

Edit; some photos of the factory blazing away in August 68 

www.sungreen.co.uk/Cinderford/Rosedales-Fire-1968.htm
Last Edit: 6 years ago by michael77.

Re: Tudor Rose England 6 years ago #15

Platinum Boarder
That is brilliant history reading to the history of these toys , many thanks Michael, the guy I spoke was right in what he said about the fire so I don't doubt his story on the Batmobiles!