Goldfinger 50th Anniversary review and photos.
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Corgi Toys Group Forum: From the Mettoy Era to the latest Corgi Vanguards, here's the place to talk about all those great models named after the Queen's favourite dog!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Goldfinger 50th Anniversary review and photos.

Goldfinger 50th Anniversary review and photos. 9 years, 2 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
Goldfinger 50th Anniversary review and photos.
For some silly reason the gold version of this model got sold thru stockists for astronomical prices. Yet all this mayhem could have been avoided if collectors would conduct proper research and gone to the source.

Hornby Hobbies had recently changed some benefits for member at the Corgi Collectors Club whose number had dwindled over the years. One of those benefits was 10% reduction of the Recommended Retail Price on any and all purchases.Cost of becoming a member was also reduced.
IMHO it would be silly not to take advantage of that.
Postage costs are still high for outside of the UK. In the UK you buy direct and postage is free. International buyers to the far reaches of the globe should buy as much as possible as there is a flat fee. Do the math people, and you will save heaps.
So whilst everybody was upbidding each other on eBay, yours truly had a request on a gold one should one become available... and it did. Bought and paid for the super low price of £16.66 (does not include postage).

WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE?
How does one recognize the silver from the gold?
Its a generic box that is mass produced, perhaps for mass production as the model is not a limited model. At least the silver one isn't. There are far fewer in gold.
However, the boxes display a sticker in either gold or silver, hence we know which model should be in the box.

THE UH-OH PROBLEMS
There are several as these models have gadgets. Despite being redesigned to be better there are flaws.
My gold box insert was damaged. I think this is the reason this model was held back and then suddenly became available. As the model was going halfway around the world who was ever going to find out.
Dear Hornby Hobbies, I am a freelance reporter and do reviews on toycars. Shame on you for sending me your worst model. That's called a slap on the wrist.

The gold car has a beige roof. Actually its light metallic beige with a slightly darker met.beige roof. Color difference was not apparent with the silver model, so the flaw may be unique to my specimen.

The Browning and overiders appear not to line up well with the release mechanism, once released may need to wiggle the catch to get it to stay in.
The bullet shield releases on three points; with the ejector seat accidentally, touching on right top edge to straighten it, and the actual exhaust. Again, it may only be with my model only.

EJECTOR SEAT
On my gold model it actually works perfectly. With the roof it clicks in place and the roof lid stays down (unlike my silver models).
Baddy still tends to fall off seat during ejection, but will be thrown quite far nonetheless when it works like it should.

NEW TOOL
Just to add this in that the model is not that new. What they mean with New Tool is that the molds are new. With mass production they wear out and this can be seen on models near the end of production as they will have abrasions and fatigue flaws on the surfaces.
The new molds may be modified to make the model better and been given distinct new features.
There are several changes for the early seventies model from Corgi #270 on which this model is based.

DISPLAY
Would recommend to keep the cars in the box as it is designed to display.

RECOMMENDATION
Collect this model? Absolutely.
The flaws give it character.
Its history.
Its a landmark.
Mass production keeps the RRP real.
As a collector I like to share.
Through sharing we learn.

Richard K

more pictures here:

www.facebook.com/groups/diecastmodelcars...ink/786604671422809/

Re: Goldfinger 50th Anniversary review and photos. 9 years, 2 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
A nice honest review and the beige roof also came on a few 261 models but that was underneath the roof hatch

Re: Goldfinger 50th Anniversary review and photos. 9 years, 2 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
A great article Richard on these Bond Astons. They do look nice and the boxes are great too.

I will not buy these, as much as I love the films of agent 007 these will just fit in my collectikn well, as the price of the gold has sky rocketed another exscuse to avoid.

Re: Goldfinger 50th Anniversary review and photos. 9 years, 2 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
What a pitty I don't have a facebook account

Re: Goldfinger 50th Anniversary review and photos. 9 years, 2 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
Just happy to share.

Re: Goldfinger 50th Anniversary review and photos. 9 years, 2 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
dinkyjay wrote:
A great article Richard on these Bond Astons. They do look nice and the boxes are great too.

I will not buy these, as much as I love the films of agent 007 these will just fit in my collectikn well, as the price of the gold has sky rocketed another exscuse to avoid.

You can order both goor and silver Bond DB5s directly from the Corgi website at the original RRP of £19.95

Re: Goldfinger 50th Anniversary review and photos. 9 years, 2 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
michael77 wrote:
dinkyjay wrote:

You can order both goor and silver Bond DB5s directly from the Corgi website at the original RRP of £19.95

And as a Corgi Collector Club Member you get a further 10% off.

£16.66 is a bargain. And end of February I'll be looking at stocking up myself.

I think the collecting community have missed the boat on the early release. Those few that were savvy enough to stock up are the ones I would avoid.

Also if you collect buses, there are last chance offers at prices as low as £2.50. 

The website of Corgi is easy to navigate

Re: Goldfinger 50th Anniversary review and photos. 9 years, 2 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
The fools are easily parted gotta laugh at them paying £200+ for a 20 quid model

Re: Goldfinger 50th Anniversary review and photos. 9 years, 2 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
It's the human condition.

We go to a shop because we are taught that shops have a direct line to the factory.

The fact is that anybody can make a deal with a factory. They like to sell their stock as quickly as possible.

There are several middlemen between factory to shops.
Some we know about while dealing through auctions.

Cut out the middleman and you get a better price.

Most collectors do not want to take the necessary steps to find the better deal. They do not do research and are stuck on creating a false value system.
Some give up completely and there is no reason to as these will be readily available anyway.

Re: Goldfinger 50th Anniversary review and photos. 9 years, 2 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
But you could get a decent 1960s British made Corgi original with a box for the prices some are selling the Chinese made brand new Bond Astons don't these people realise that? Clearly not by the looks of it but as you say there are plenty of simpletons out there that are happy to be ripped off thinking that the model they've payed way over the odds for has value when in reality it does not but they could get lucky and sell it for even more to somebody with an even lower intellect and more gullible than themselves?
  • Page: