Re: Comparing The Great Book of Corgi Volume 1 versus Volume 2
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Corgi Toys Group Forum: From the Mettoy Era to the latest Corgi Vanguards, here's the place to talk about all those great models named after the Queen's favourite dog!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Re: Comparing The Great Book of Corgi Volume 1 versus Volume 2

Re: Comparing The Great Book of Corgi Volume 1 versus Volume 2 5 years, 10 months ago #1

Fresh Boarder
First edition is better in my eyes...sold my second edition to a friend.

Re: Comparing The Great Book of Corgi Volume 1 versus Volume 2 5 years, 4 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
Sorry, this post is quite old, but as I am quite new here, I just discovered it.

Fett's remark deserves at least ONE reply. Because I have the new and the older edition, I think I can compare.You can find my complete review on Amazon, and it was also sent to the editor (Cavendish books) and via them to Mr van Cleemput. There was no reply.

As short as possible: when you don't have the old version, BUY the new one.

When you have old one, you know it goes from 1956-1983. The new one includes 1983 till the present, so you might think you are more complete. You are, but only if you are also interested in the models past 1983. Certain parts of the older version are left out in the new one, like written lists Corgi supplied or made in certain periods, but this might be only of interest to the fanatics.

They announcements for the new one said it was 're-written', but it is not. The old part was simply redone with modern techniques: some pictures made smaller, some bigger, text all the same but replaced. Also, a lot of mistakes were made in the old one, and they missed the chanche to correct them in the new one. Biggest mistakes are just a blank spot on a page (not a misprint, it is part of the page with just nothing on it) and a big picture printed.......mirrorwise! In the new version the part from 1983 till now is just summed up, no reall nice stories like the old models had.

So as I said, if you don't have any, buy the new one. It has a handier format than the old one. When you have the old one, buying the new one is not worth it, although the price probably dropped a lot. Since I bought the new one, I opened it once or twice, just to compare. I will stick to the old one.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GunnerJim

Re: Comparing The Great Book of Corgi Volume 1 versus Volume 2 5 years, 4 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
I have read many reviews of the two books and have decided that the old book is best for me. I have some Corgi models in my collection but not that many. Mostly the Karrier Vans as I like the Mr Softee and I have converted it into the Mr Whippy Van, many many times. 14 or 15 times now actually. I have a couple of the Land Rovers too and some newer Mini's Also a few models that were restored by others whom I have known from other sites.
I will stick with the first book as I don't see the practicality of owning both when there is not much change.

Re: Comparing The Great Book of Corgi Volume 1 versus Volume 2 5 years, 4 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
I have neither, although I used to use one from our local Library.

Re: Comparing The Great Book of Corgi Volume 1 versus Volume 2 5 years, 4 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
I had neither and found the first waaaaaay to expensive on ebay and Amazon. Got the newer one brand new for a better deal

Re: Comparing The Great Book of Corgi Volume 1 versus Volume 2 5 years, 4 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
If you are really into Corgi toys, I would buy the first one as it is much better than the first. As Kees has said, the second one leaves out a lot from the first. I have looked at the pictures here from another thread from last year or the year before and decided not to buy the second issue. First does me just fine. I should get the Dr Force book on Corgi though.

Re: Comparing The Great Book of Corgi Volume 1 versus Volume 2 5 years, 4 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
Here is a link to when Andrew Adamides was owner of this site.
He did a book review on the Second version of the GB of C.
Just scroll down a bit to see it.
www.planetdiecast.com/index.php?option=c...87355&Itemid=502
Here is another link to the free draw we had in 2010
Finally found what I was looking for. Started by RoutemasterNL 2 years and 9 months ago on Comparing the first book against the second book.
www.planetdiecast.com/index.php?option=c...6&Itemid=0#62686

Re: Comparing The Great Book of Corgi Volume 1 versus Volume 2 5 years, 4 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
Here is the tread for the give a way of a signed copy of the Great Book of Corgi II
www.planetdiecast.com/index.php?option=c...d=23975&Itemid=0

Re: Comparing The Great Book of Corgi Volume 1 versus Volume 2 5 years, 4 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
I see there were a lot of Corgi lovers here who wanted the book, and they are all gone now. Also, LaToya says in her last post to tell soon who won the book. Well, who did?

It seems as if my comment on the book has dissapeared from Amazon (.....)

Luckily also stored it on Modelauto krant:

modelautokrant.nl/2011/12/28/eten-met-marcel-van-cleemput/
Last Edit: 5 years, 4 months ago by Keesie.

Re: Comparing The Great Book of Corgi Volume 1 versus Volume 2 5 years, 4 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
Me still waiting.

Re: Comparing The Great Book of Corgi Volume 1 versus Volume 2 5 years, 4 months ago #11

Gold Boarder
I am looking forward to getting the second edition. It should be here in a few days.

Re: Comparing The Great Book of Corgi Volume 1 versus Volume 2 5 years, 4 months ago #12

Platinum Boarder
Interesting write up on the Corgi Book Kees. I also wonder who won the book as Christian never did tell us most of the winners on these contests. Maybe the winner did not want his name published.
I do know that 3 of the 4 people who won the bidding could not make the dinner with Marcel. I think Christian and Andrew made it and one member but can't remember who.

Re: Comparing The Great Book of Corgi Volume 1 versus Volume 2 5 years, 4 months ago #13

Platinum Boarder
Thanks Jim. About the book itself: in my opinion if you do a thing like that, do it at your best. This was just a 'poor' 2nd edition, after the original. Don't get me wrong, if you don't have the original, the new edition is good enough. As I said, NO mistakes (see my posting about the Ford Thames Walls Ice Cream for a start) are revised, and they did not listen to users/customers, at least not to me. 

So, the least that could have been done was that the organizer said that the book was won by 'someone'. Why didn't anyone ask who won? Obviously no one was interested. Also it stroke me that several members who said they wanted the book have ONE posting only.......Just my simple thoughts as a newbie on this forum.

Here an interview with Mr van Cleemput:

www.planetdiecast.com/index2.php?&op...age=0&Itemid=918

I just found the report of the dinner evening with Mr van Cleemput:

www.planetdiecast.com/index.php?option=c...html&Itemid=2435

Re: Comparing The Great Book of Corgi Volume 1 versus Volume 2 5 years, 4 months ago #14

Platinum Boarder
For me it has to be the original 1989 version plus you don't get the free bus with the reprint 

Re: Comparing The Great Book of Corgi Volume 1 versus Volume 2 5 years, 4 months ago #15

Platinum Boarder
There were actually two 'versions' of the 1989 book: one with and one without the bus.

In fact, there were two versions of the first book; one plain edition, one with the bus and the little red book, in which the models were in a list. I have the little red book.
  • Page: