Corgi Toys Group Forum: From the Mettoy Era to the latest Corgi Vanguards, here's the place to talk about all those great models named after the Queen's favourite dog!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Latter Day Saints

Latter Day Saints 5 years, 7 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
2 late issue Saints cars the one on the right with the bonnet decal is the 1970-72 issue the one on the left without the saint sticker is a bit of a mystery regards to its year of manufacture and any concrete info will be much appreciated 

Re: Latter Day Saints 5 years, 7 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
not all Volvo P1800 cars were for the Saint TV show. plain issues did come out as plain cars

Re: Latter Day Saints 5 years, 7 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
I know that but both mine have the not very accurate Saint aka Simon Templer figure  at the wheel plus both are in Whizzwheels Saint boxes

Re: Latter Day Saints 5 years, 7 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
ok... factory errors are collectible.

got a couple really good factory errors.

Re: Latter Day Saints 5 years, 7 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
Corgi did some fantastic cock ups and are quite rare nowadays with price tag to boot but according to this I've found on the web it was sent out the factory gates like this 

corgitoys.free.fr/English/CORGI_201_THE_SAINT.htm

Re: Latter Day Saints 5 years, 7 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
The one with out the sticker looks more like the Saint's car, I tried to pick the sticker off the one I had as a kid.

Re: Latter Day Saints 5 years, 7 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
Must admit it looks better without the sticker more show accurate but the then licensing agreement dictates otherwise...

Re: Latter Day Saints 5 years, 7 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
Hi Guys,

I understand the last Year of production for the 'Whizzwheels' version Volvo was 1972, long after the initial licensing period would have been agreed for this model and while the box still showed Saint logos and wording, the model did not have to have the same and the baseplate only ever had...VOVLO P.1800...anyway, so did not need re-tooling to remove any 'SAINT' reference and despite this, I don't know why they were still able to use the same box, maybe in the licensing agreement the packaging was exempt, it does happen.

TheRollerman.

Re: Latter Day Saints 5 years, 7 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder

The licensing agreement was still in place as the bottom of the box shows and the baseplate on the 1970-72 issue has the word WHIZZWHEELS cast into the base as the 1965-69 issues don't 

Last Edit: 5 years, 7 months ago by michael77.

Re: Latter Day Saints 5 years, 7 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
It will have the 'WHIZZWHEELS' name because it was fitted with those wheels and the patent number is for that feature, but the model never had any reference to 'The Saint' on the baseplate and as I said in my post above, the box (packaging) may have been exempt from the licensing agreement allowing it to remain in use after the license had expired.

Two options for CORGI on this model as it neared it's end of production, was to design a new Non-Saint box (expensive), or stop putting the Saint logo on the bonnet (much cheaper) and leave it in the box they still had stocks of!

Rollerman.

Re: Latter Day Saints 5 years, 7 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
The 1965-1969 Corgi Saints Volvo P.1800 never had the word Saint cast into the the baseplate and neither did the all card picture box have any copyright notice it was just the whizzwheels  window box that had "The Saint "Registered User The Mettoy Company Ltd on the bottom of the box and on a side note the Corgi Rockets verion had no reference to the tv show at all on the backing card,golden tune up key or the car apart from the white on blue saint matchstick man on the bonnet

Re: Latter Day Saints 5 years, 7 months ago #12

Platinum Boarder
Interesting observations, making those Two you mention, non-licensed products!! Very odd when their Avengers, James Bond, Batman and Man From Uncle TV tie-in models, were licensed products!

Rollerman.

Re: Latter Day Saints 5 years, 7 months ago #13

Platinum Boarder
The agreement they had was certainly flexible enough for them to include it in a car transporter set and for me it just doesn't go well at all and why just put the Saints Volvo on the back of the truck why not Bonds Aston or the Batmobile? 

Re: Latter Day Saints 5 years, 7 months ago #14

Platinum Boarder
Absolutely no logic behind that decision and to do it Twice (pre and post 'Whizzwheel' versions), is mystifying and suggests Corgi had run out of normal road cars to fill the transporter, which if they had, why not just put on another example of the other cars in a different colour?

Rollerman.

Re: Latter Day Saints 5 years, 7 months ago #15

Platinum Boarder
It is a bizarre choice and it's not a random model to fill the gap like in most cases with gift sets as it made it to the box artwork 

• Page: