Bentley... or Rolls... which would you say it is...
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Corgi Toys Group Forum: From the Mettoy Era to the latest Corgi Vanguards, here's the place to talk about all those great models named after the Queen's favourite dog!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Bentley... or Rolls... which would you say it is...

Bentley... or Rolls... which would you say it is... 6 years, 4 months ago #1

Gold Boarder
is this a common Factory error with this model...

I got it in a lot for some projects I am working on... I want it to be a Rolls... or a Bentley

I think the easiet way is to switch the Grill... if I can find one...

Re: Bentley... or Rolls... which would you say it is... 6 years, 4 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
What a nice find Code3_Customs, I have collected many of these and the Rolls-Royce version over the years and I have not seen this type of factory oops! before!

Are you intending to re-work this model or keep it 'as-is', it would be a shame to change it from how it left the factory and I would love to have found it myself.

Rollerman.

Re: Bentley... or Rolls... which would you say it is... 6 years, 4 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
it is your model but best left as it is as may be rare, the Rolls is not rare & can be bought at a reasonable price.

Re: Bentley... or Rolls... which would you say it is... 6 years, 4 months ago #4

Fresh Boarder
Yes if it came that way out of the factory I would not touch it - very rare and important to preserve as is.

Re: Bentley... or Rolls... which would you say it is... 6 years, 4 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
Factory cock up and very rare nowadays but it's  up to you what to do...

Re: Bentley... or Rolls... which would you say it is... 6 years, 4 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
I think it has way too many touch-ups to be a definite candidate for preservation.
I'd actually like to have a closer look at those rivet heads.

I really like this model.

Last Edit: 6 years, 4 months ago by CorgiCrossEyed.

Re: Bentley... or Rolls... which would you say it is... 6 years, 4 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
Yeah, I was also thinking that maybe it could be a code 3? The rivets look okay, but not 100% certain. It has very obviously received some degree of touch up, but how much? Is ANY of the paint original, or could it have been silver from the factory, then repainted pink to look like the Bentley?

Even if the rivets are okay, there might still be a chance that a previous owner has removed the grille/bumper/headlight-assembly by force - I remember doing that to some of my childhood cars, and no... don't ask why

Sometimes the bumper would break, but not every time. And if you remove the baseplate on a Bentley, you can salvage the grille/bumper/headlight-assembly intact, file off the part of the unit that's supposed to lock behind the rivet, then glue the whole assembly on, and you'll have a Bentley/Rolls mix like this.

Not saying this is what's happened, but when the model has obviously been tampered with to some degree (the touch up), I think one should consider the possibility that more has been done.

Re: Bentley... or Rolls... which would you say it is... 6 years, 4 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
Corgi did make mistakes with the paint and touched in parts that needed doing like this 349 pop art minor

And no the rivets haven't been tampered with 

Re: Bentley... or Rolls... which would you say it is... 6 years, 4 months ago #9

Gold Boarder
Well I don’t think I was ever going to use this for a project...

I need a “full” Rolls or Bentley...

I know it’s not mint with the added silver trim and painted
bumpers...

but on the whole it’s all original... the Pink is all original factory
paint...

the Grill hasn't been removed or messed with (besides a little silver paint
added) and it’s factory riveted...

from what I can tell the previous owner decided to... paint the cills
silver along with the back and front bumpers... and the scuttle panel grill silver...

the front and rear skirts have been painted Black... the wheels look
like they were painted pink before a coat of silver....

I will see if I can get the majority of the “added” paint off the car,
properly starting with T-Cut then what ever it takes...
I don’t think I’ve have anything to loose as the way
it is with the touch ups it is border line whether it is a
good example of a Factory Error...

this is the group I got it with (listin pic.)

here’s a couple more photos of the Bent-Roller....

Andy

Re: Bentley... or Rolls... which would you say it is... 6 years, 4 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
Thanks for the extra pics.

Clear that the rivets and the Pink are factory.

Good luck with getting some of that paint off.

It will be magic if you can successfully reveal the original chromework.

Looking forward to see how it turns out but be really patient with it.

Re: Bentley... or Rolls... which would you say it is... 6 years, 4 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
There are several liquid based methods to removing paint from commercially available models such as these. The original paintwork is likely to have been baked-on at the factory, but it will still be damaged if you use household paint stripper or too strong, car brake fluid.

It may be possible to just work on the areas with the silver paint by constant wiping with cloth soaked in White Spirits. Matchbox models can be left in brake fluid for several hours and this will remove over-painted detail, leaving the original factory paint un-harmed.

I have not done any of this myself, this is just from restorers own experiences on another website, so be very careful with your own experiments and I strongly advise trying it on some old bangers first, just to get the feel of what you can and can not do.

The fine black coach-line on this pink Bentley is original as shown in the pictures by "Corgicrosseyed" but will be very hard to replicate, so if you are successful in restoring this model back to almost as it left the factory, I would leave off the coach-line as unless your'e an artist, you won't have a steady un-wavering result (un-less you want to prove me wrong...!).

Rollerman.
  • Page: