Corgi Toys Group Forum: From the Mettoy Era to the latest Corgi Vanguards, here's the place to talk about all those great models named after the Queen's favourite dog!

TOPIC: Corgi Finds

Re: Corgi Finds 5 years, 2 months ago #136

Platinum Boarder
Two more with no holes at the front axle area. Is it because the axle was going through something different to hold them? Kees has shown some with bosses for the axles to go through and others that have a pinched set of tabs to hold the axles.
I guess you would have to open one to see the difference.
Kees, do you have any pictures of the two different models from the inside?

Re: Corgi Finds 5 years, 2 months ago #137

Platinum Boarder
My one has no holes but you can clearly see four circles on the base where they have been filled in at the factory.

Last Edit: 5 years, 2 months ago by Andy66.

Re: Corgi Finds 5 years, 2 months ago #138

Platinum Boarder
It shows that Corgi was experimenting a lot. The DS was the first 'foreign' model, and one of the first after the tinplate period. I think those holes were made to save material. The same as the part between the two rear pillars, where a piece of the base is taken out. The holes at the axles were not typical for the DS, because there were a lot of Corgi's at that time with holes. 

In my earlier picture, on the right a DS base with 2 holes per axle, 4 in total. Here the inside.You can't see the holes, because they are covered by the axles.

The model 'with the ball', in the earlier picture on the left, was still closed, so I opened it up. Here the inside.The front axle is 'loose', like with some earlier tinplate models.  You can see the ball under the axle, but again, you cannot see the holes. Strange is, that this model did not have an interior, but it DOES have the inner stand to hold the interior in place. 
Last Edit: 5 years, 2 months ago by Keesie.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco, RoutemasterNL

Re: Corgi Finds 3 years, 10 months ago #139

Platinum Boarder
CorgiCrossEyed wrote:
The Lions of Longleat collection is growing.

I found another Safari Landrover

It's the one on the left and has Jimson No. 115 Hong Kong on the base.

The other in the more modern blue box is made in China.

Continuing with the Safari theme, I also picked up a Jeep and Lion Cage trailer set by Majorette and another by Tootsietoy.

But I may be clutching at straws for some connection with Corgi's Lions of Longleat.

-------

It was nice to add another Longleat copy to the collection.

Blue-Box Safari Set No. 6034

Along with the more common Blue-Box Zoo Set No. 6057

Made in Singapore

The following user(s) said Thank You: GunnerJim, CollectorandrestorerMark

Re: Corgi Finds 3 years, 10 months ago #140

Platinum Boarder
Great collection of Land Rover toys based on Longleat Lion park.
Last Edit: 3 years, 10 months ago by GunnerJim.