Corgi Toys Group Forum: From the Mettoy Era to the latest Corgi Vanguards, here's the place to talk about all those great models named after the Queen's favourite dog!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Mr Retailer

Mr Retailer 6 years, 9 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder

Here is a 277 Corgi Monkeemobile with the correct "Mr Retailer" card (it's in fact the rear of the detachable header card) and wondered if anymore single models had these I know the gift sets had them also the Holmes wrecker did any more window boxed single items have them? 

Last Edit: 6 years, 9 months ago by michael77.

Re: Mr Retailer 6 years, 9 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
I have the Chipperfields menagerie set no1139 with the retailer card still in.

Re: Mr Retailer 6 years, 9 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
I'm aware they had the card in I'm on about single models ie non gift sets as there must be more than just the Monkeemobile?

Re: Mr Retailer 6 years, 9 months ago #4

Can't help you out on this question Michael, sorry.
But the box and its contents are beautiful

Re: Mr Retailer 6 years, 9 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
The inner tray has the number printed on it at the bottom left corner which means its an early issue later issues are all white at the bottom and have no number printed

Last Edit: 6 years, 9 months ago by michael77.

Re: Mr Retailer 6 years, 9 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
Does this extra piece of card also help with the strengthening of the box? Its first I've seen of this.

Re: Mr Retailer 6 years, 9 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
The header card was for shop display purposes only and it does add a bit of strength to the box when it's inside but when slotted into the back no strength whatsoever and only one came with a trade pack of six models shrink wrapped together

Re: Mr Retailer 6 years, 9 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
So only there for display purposes then. I see there has been a bit of paint rubbing on that insert, may want to wrap the model  in tissue to keep it nice.

Re: Mr Retailer 6 years, 9 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
I'm not putting tissue around it as the paint will discolour and go a pinkish red plus the window in the box will yellow very quickly even with acid free tissue and as you can see it's survived all these years in pretty much unscathed 

Re: Mr Retailer 6 years, 9 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
Just thought with all that red paint rubbing it might have affected the model, but looks to be still pristine.

Re: Mr Retailer 6 years, 9 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
The paint rubbing has took a bit of the shine off it but that's only to be expected plus if you don't see a box that's not got any paint rubs or tyre marks on the base I'd ask questions as a 46 year old model does not remain in a box without leaving any traces...

Re: Mr Retailer 6 years, 9 months ago #12

Platinum Boarder
Traces like how can it remain dust free if it was stored under the stairs or in the attic... The dustiest places? LOL

Re: Mr Retailer 6 years, 9 months ago #13

Platinum Boarder
Dust can be easily cleaned by the use of a groomstick or similar product plus if you look inside any Corgi window box from the 60s onwards check around the glued bit of the window inside as original ones go a yellow colour where the glue has aged and another trick is check the cellophane itself if it has a blue/purpleish tinge to it then it is more than likely a replacement these are usually thicker too as the original window is thinner and more flimsy to the touch

Re: Mr Retailer 6 years, 9 months ago #14

Platinum Boarder
The only other vehicle to incorporate the removable header card is the 1143 La France aerial rescue truck by the looks of it...

Re: Mr Retailer 6 years, 9 months ago #15

Platinum Boarder
Forgot about these 2 they have the slots in the back of the card to fit the header cards in must be more? 

• Page: