Corgi Toys Group Forum: From the Mettoy Era to the latest Corgi Vanguards, here's the place to talk about all those great models named after the Queen's favourite dog!

TOPIC: Some of my Corgi Toy's

Some of my Corgi Toy's 6 years, 1 month ago #61

Platinum Boarder
Do you have a street light to go with it?

Some of my Corgi Toy's 6 years, 1 month ago #62

Platinum Boarder
No, although it would be nice to have one but the set here does not list it on the box, I have seen it with light in both the Hong Kong  & Corgi versions.

Some of my Corgi Toy's 6 years, 1 month ago #63

Platinum Boarder
I found an ad with the light and man. It is for a near mint model truck that comes with the man.

www.ebay.ca/itm/CORGI-TOYS-ANCIEN-CAMION...;hash=item2ee00cd181

Some of my Corgi Toy's 6 years, 1 month ago #64

Platinum Boarder
Very nice, they are asking top dollar for it.

I have the later Mazda set complete , the drop back in the box with a motorway sign made it cheaper for Corgi as they did not have to add an extra piece to the set.

Some of my Corgi Toy's 5 years, 7 months ago #65

Platinum Boarder
I waited to get a bad condition one of these Commer Ice Cream vans as I did not want to change a good one into a Mr Whippy version , just waiting for the decals & a new window to come so as I can finish it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: karls, RoutemasterNL

Some of my Corgi Toy's 5 years, 7 months ago #66

Platinum Boarder
Indeed the ice cream van needed a make over!

Looking at your earlier postings, I wanted to add this:

The Jeep tower wagon was done in several versions. Nr 478 was done in two box variations: one with just the model, and one with the model and lamp stand with mechanic.

There was also a giftset, nr 14. It contains the same model, with mechanic, and lamp.Note on the box the lower surround of the lamp is drawn upside down, the wrong way!

To make things even more complicated, also a double lamp was available. Here two versions.

Last Edit: 5 years, 7 months ago by Keesie.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Some of my Corgi Toy's 5 years, 7 months ago #67

Platinum Boarder
Andy, that is a Smith's Karrier Van, not a Commer. I think matchbox did the Commer Ice cream truck. I have done probably 15 or so of these vans and still have one here to do but it is going to stay a Mr Softee for my collection. I did put a number of my restorations and Code 3 vans up here in the Restoration and Code 3 threads.

Some of my Corgi Toy's 5 years, 7 months ago #68

Platinum Boarder
Was commer the truck make & Smith's the converter? I may have this wrong. I will have to look at the Code3 thread.
Last Edit: 5 years, 7 months ago by Andy66.

Some of my Corgi Toy's 5 years, 7 months ago #69

Commer was car maker, that is for sure. I think you are right suggesting that Smith made the conversion with the icecream part

Some of my Corgi Toy's 5 years, 7 months ago #70

Platinum Boarder
Karrier trucks was taken over by Commer in the 30's so I suppose it's a Commer Karrier  

Some of my Corgi Toy's 5 years, 7 months ago #71

Platinum Boarder
Main difference is the grill. Micro Toys Commer knocker on the left while the American rounded cab design was maintained during this period as shown by the Matchbox Karrier.

Edit: If Smiths was a the body builder like Body Craft was who converted light truck or Utes with their body styling would be called a Smith Karrier icecream van.

We still called it a Ford Ambulance thou.

Last Edit: 5 years, 7 months ago by GunnerJim.

Some of my Corgi Toy's 5 years, 7 months ago #72

Platinum Boarder
Karrier was the maker of the Van and Smith's what the company who did the Coversions to Ice Cream and I think others too like military and the shops series.

Some of my Corgi Toy's 5 years, 7 months ago #73

Platinum Boarder
They also called those Body Craft Ambulances bodgie craft ones too. Probably the reason for just being called Ford Ambulance as each State built their own. Like in Queensland the ambulance drivers converted their own. Here in Victoria there was J Cab as well and New South Wales had another body builder too. Anyway Smith's Karrier van it is as in Great Britain they had lots of coach builders in those days.
Last Edit: 5 years, 7 months ago by GunnerJim.

Some of my Corgi Toy's 5 years, 7 months ago #74

Platinum Boarder
Thanks for replies it is the same as Dormobile , Martin Walker , Hooper & Wood & Pickett they were all car converters.

Keesie many thanks for the picture of the Jeeps I would like to get a street lamp.

I put the van temporarily back together to see what it will look like

Some of my Corgi Toy's 5 years, 7 months ago #75

Platinum Boarder
Temporarily? Definitely I would say! 

I got the lamp from Model Car parts.