Corgi Toys Group Forum: From the Mettoy Era to the latest Corgi Vanguards, here's the place to talk about all those great models named after the Queen's favourite dog!

TOPIC: Corgi - Jaguar 2.4 Litre

Re: Corgi - Jaguar 2.4 Litre 6 years, 4 months ago #46

Fresh Boarder
Another pic. I see the wheels are different as well

Re: Corgi - Jaguar 2.4 Litre 6 years, 4 months ago #47

Platinum Boarder
Hi Ammaj - welcome to the board and good luck with your restoration.

You may find it difficult to restore the plastic windows but I think replacements are available and with different wheels, no interior and a different baseplate (pressed stell) it looks to be an earlier model but I am no Corgi expert - any thoughts from anyone??

Hugh

ps: keep it in white think that will look good.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ammaj

Re: Corgi - Jaguar 2.4 Litre 6 years, 4 months ago #48

Platinum Boarder
Just checking the "Great Book of Corgi'.

Your Jag is No. 208 and first released in 1957.

Re-Issued in 1960 as No. 208S with cast base plate, suspension and seats.

White would look great but I personally favor code 3 tv/film conversions.
Perhaps Inspector Morse with a code 3 repro box.

Stuff like that often does really well on Ebay.
Last Edit: 6 years, 4 months ago by CorgiCrossEyed.

Re: Corgi - Jaguar 2.4 Litre 6 years, 4 months ago #49

Fresh Boarder
Thanx for the welcomes. I was thinking black as below. Perhaps I could fit the seat from a later model if I can get it? But first I need a toolkit. Haven't modelled for a while and never Corgi/Dinky. 

Can I ask how you removed those jewelled headlights from the Mk10? OR do you just sacrifice them

Re: Corgi - Jaguar 2.4 Litre 6 years, 4 months ago #50

Hi Ammaj,
a warm welcome from The Netherlands. Nice project you have got there. If you are going to restore the car, you need to make sure all the paint comes off. Depending on what you use, the headlights will dissapear. I know for sure
New jewels are available too. But you could try using a sharp pen knife and pop them out. There is a chance of breaking them, so be careful
Last Edit: 6 years, 4 months ago by RoutemasterNL.

Re: Corgi - Jaguar 2.4 Litre 6 years, 4 months ago #51

Platinum Boarder
Hi Guys, 'Jewelled headlights'...

There is no easy way to remove them from Corgi and Dinky models of this period. You will most certainly have to prize them out with a fine miniature screwdriver or modelling knife and find you then have to try and smooth the remaining grey plastic Jewel holder to even up the look of it.

In the past I have gently drilled into the metal area with a 'Pin-Vice' drill, exactly behind where the Jewel sits in the front of the body, this part of the casting can be quite thin and will allow you to push the Jewel and it's plastic holder out of the casting in one piece, using a fine piece of stiff wire (a filed down old axle would do), and therefore making them re-usable. If you have not tried this I suggest you try it on something less important, because it does not always work but worth a try, good luck.

TheRollerman.

Re: Corgi - Jaguar 2.4 Litre 6 years, 3 months ago #52

Fresh Boarder
My 2.4 finished

Not happy with it as too many novice mistakes. But better than it was

Re: Corgi - Jaguar 2.4 Litre 6 years, 3 months ago #53

Platinum Boarder
Looks ok to me, welcome to the site.

Re: Corgi - Jaguar 2.4 Litre 6 years, 3 months ago #54

Platinum Boarder
Welcome to the site and you did a good job on the Jag. First time is always a learning experience. You could always strip it and start over now that you know what you did wrong, or not right. I too have one of these cars but mine has no jewels for headlights, just a cast in bump. Mine is also white and has been overpainted white again as it is on the window unit.
A little tip for you on Windows and plastics. Easy Off Oven Cleaner or Automotive parts Degreaser works very well on plastic and rubber for removing paint etc. It will not harm plastic or rubber. To clean up and polish the window unit I use Furture Clear Floor Wax. Dip and shake off the excess and I use a second set of hands to hold it while it dries.
Have fun with your restorations as that is what it is all about.

Re: Corgi - Jaguar 2.4 Litre 6 years, 3 months ago #55

It looks much better than the white. We all have to learn from our mistakes, so keep on trying and show us your progres.....

Re: Corgi - Jaguar 2.4 Litre 6 years, 3 months ago #56

Fresh Boarder
I did polish up the windows with toothpaste so thanks for the tip. This also has the solid headlights.

A previous poster mentioned his Mk 10 which is my next project. However the headlamps have simply refused to come out at all. I wanted to replace them with the clear rather than the yellow. I have painted mine white with black roof as below.

Has anyone used Letraset type pens for chrome before?

Re: Corgi - Jaguar 2.4 Litre 6 years, 3 months ago #57

Platinum Boarder
I have not used Letraset for chrome but I did use the letters and numbers of various sizes when I was a draftsman.

Edit: Almost forgot to mention that I use Dupli-color Chrome paint and it works very very well for bumpers, grilles etc. I used it on the doors for the Corgi 1128 Express Delivery Chrome doors.
As to the Jewel headlights, I have had good suscess with prying (not prizing or pry not prise) them out using a dental tool I have. Like a thin very stiff wire on a rod that the dentists use to clean your teeth. Next time your into the dentist, ask him if he has any old dental pick you can have. One or two is all you need. Soaking in very hot water first may help release the glue that was used too.
Good Luck
Last Edit: 6 years, 3 months ago by Nobleco.

Re: Corgi - Jaguar 2.4 Litre 6 years, 3 months ago #58

Platinum Boarder
I agree with Nobleco with regards hot water & carefully teasing the jewels out, only thing I have found is that you loose the backing paint from the jewel as it normally sticks to the surround.

Re: Corgi - Jaguar 2.4 Litre 6 years, 3 months ago #59

Platinum Boarder
This is true Andy. I think that if you clean off the old paint you can repaint the back of the jewel with Testors Silver and get it to look good again. I have not tried this myself but it should work. As most of you know, I have my ebay store and sell most sizes of Jewels and can get the rest forom 2mm to 6mm some in various colors, even red tail lights. I can also get the square jewels that some models use. I have always just replaced the jewels and sometimes the holders too.

Re: Corgi - Jaguar 2.4 Litre 6 years, 3 months ago #60

Platinum Boarder
Hi Ammaj - I think the Jag looks ok - keep it as it is - I've kept all of my restorations from when I started because I like to look back and see how much progress has been. Your techniques change with experience and plenty of help and tips from fellow boarders.

I look forward to seeing your next project.

Hugh