Corgi Toys Group Forum: From the Mettoy Era to the latest Corgi Vanguards, here's the place to talk about all those great models named after the Queen's favourite dog!

TOPIC: Corgi - Jaguar 2.4 Litre

Corgi - Jaguar 2.4 Litre 7 years, 3 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
I've just been asked to restore a Jaguar 2.4 L as a commission for someone.

Not being a Corgi collector any thoughts or tips from the Corgi fraternity.

Hugh

Re: Corgi - Jaguar 2.4 Litre 7 years, 3 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
The hubs are a press on type. I use a pair of wire cutters to pry the hub off one end of the axle so I can remove and polish the axles and hubs and also so I can strip and paint the base. Most Corgi Bases are a light grey so I use a grey primer and clear coat it. Looks really good.

Corgi 234 Ford Consul

Re: Corgi - Jaguar 2.4 Litre 7 years, 3 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
I am not a Corgi collector, but do have a few.  Have not seen too many of those 2.4 litre sedans, so just for fun am showing an older photo of mine that I purchased around 1959.  This one also has the friction motor that was available on some of them, but it does not work anymore.  I always liked the metallic blue color.

As a side note, my dad bought a brand new 2.4 litre sedan in 1956 when they were first introduced.  It was a lovely car, but beset by many problems that almost broke my father's heart............(soryy about this old photo, taken years ago with my older camera....I need to re-take a better one!)

Terry

Last Edit: 7 years, 3 months ago by dinkyfan.

Re: Corgi - Jaguar 2.4 Litre 7 years, 3 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
Many thanks for the tips re the base plate - I certainly like the idea of using primer. I'll take some shots as it progresses and post them as we make headway.

While on I don't recall getting a copy of yours or Terry's reply on this subject - maybe I'm doing something wrong but it seems to have happened on a couple of other items??? Help!

Hugh

Re: Corgi - Jaguar 2.4 Litre 7 years, 3 months ago #5

I am in the process of restoring a Corgi 238 Mark X jaguar at the moment.

it was already repainted, the base was bare metal, but I still gave it the same treatment with the grey primer.

how are you progressing Hugh?

Re: Corgi - Jaguar 2.4 Litre 7 years, 3 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
Hugh wrote:
Many thanks for the tips re the base plate - I certainly like the idea of using primer. I'll take some shots as it progresses and post them as we make headway.

While on I don't recall getting a copy of yours or Terry's reply on this subject - maybe I'm doing something wrong but it seems to have happened on a couple of other items??? Help!

Hugh

Hugh, if your subscribed to the topic you should get emails telling you about new posts. Check at the top or bottom so see if it says subscribe or unsubscribe.

Re: Corgi - Jaguar 2.4 Litre 7 years, 3 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
Routemaster

Since I got those few tips from Nobleco I've cracked on and made reasonable progress on stripping it to its componenet parts - will get a photograph, or two, over the next day or so and post it.

How are you progressing with your MarkX Jaguar - any shots to post yet or any tips to pass on?

Anyone else out there restoring a Corgi Jaguar (or already has restored) how about a few shots and some narrative.

Hugh

Re: Corgi - Jaguar 2.4 Litre 7 years, 3 months ago #8

Hugh,

thanks mate, the Jag is not finished and I have no photos yet. I am still in doubt about the with of the headlights. The inner ones on the bonnet seem to be 4mm in diameter, but are the ones on the fenders larger? from what I can see on the net they are but I cannot find larger ones

Re: Corgi - Jaguar 2.4 Litre 7 years, 3 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
Theo, I have 5mm and 6mm are available in silver backed jewels. You know who has them.

Re: Corgi - Jaguar 2.4 Litre 7 years, 3 months ago #10

Thanks Jim,

I went over to Houten to visit him today, but the ones he has are silver backed too, and I need yellow ones

Re: Corgi - Jaguar 2.4 Litre 7 years, 3 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
He also has yellow in 2, 3, 4 and 5mm. You should have asked but he may not have brought any. I am out of yellow.

Re: Corgi - Jaguar 2.4 Litre 7 years, 3 months ago #12

Platinum Boarder
Progress as promised.

The underside showing the rivets have been popped and the hubs eased from the axles. Then I eased away the rivet securing the windows - I never use a drill for this so as not to damage or crack the perspex, I use dental drills to tease away the rivet head.

The body which needs to have the rivet pillars drilled out then stripped and primer applied.

The hubs and axles need to be cleaned and polished.

The baseplate which needs to be cleaned on both sides then the outer face sprayed with grey primer so as to match the existing colour.

The interior and windows which if knackered are so difficult to replace. Fortunately the interior is perfect and the windows cleaned up really well.

Not sure when the next update will be??

Hugh

Re: Corgi - Jaguar 2.4 Litre 7 years, 3 months ago #13

Take your time Hugh, good preparation is half the job done.

Here is an update of the Mark X, as you asked

The body is painted light green metallic, but the light was wrong so the color looks too dark in the photos

The front axle+ the wheels were missing, had to replace them. I bought a new vacuum formed window and 4 new tyres with the Corgi name too

Last Edit: 7 years, 3 months ago by RoutemasterNL.

Re: Corgi - Jaguar 2.4 Litre 7 years, 3 months ago #14

Platinum Boarder
This is the Corgi 208 jag and the window units I can get are not Vaccumm formed but cast in clear plastic. Just a thick as the originals. You know who has them and I am sure Rob does as well although I have not checked. Yup, he has them too.

Re: Corgi - Jaguar 2.4 Litre 7 years, 3 months ago #15

Jim,

the vacuum formed windows were, much to my surprise, made of rather thick plastic. They are sold for half the price of the clear cast ones. The only thing is you have to cut them to the right size. I picked them up at Rob's last Saturday