Comparing The Great Book of Corgi Volume 1 versus Volume 2
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Corgi Toys Group Forum: From the Mettoy Era to the latest Corgi Vanguards, here's the place to talk about all those great models named after the Queen's favourite dog!

TOPIC: Comparing The Great Book of Corgi Volume 1 versus Volume 2

Re: Comparing The Great Book of Corgi Volume 1 versus Volume 2 7 years, 11 months ago #16

Platinum Boarder
Interesting interview with the man himself! 

www.modelcollector.co.uk/news/article/th...-cleemput-video/8100

Re: Comparing The Great Book of Corgi Volume 1 versus Volume 2 7 years, 10 months ago #17

Platinum Boarder
I just can't say anything else. A marvelous book.
A little bit difficult to read streched out in bed.
Last Edit: 7 years, 10 months ago by Corky.

Re: Comparing The Great Book of Corgi Volume 1 versus Volume 2 7 years, 10 months ago #18

i have not tried that Corky, the book is far to heavy, so when I am reading the book it is placed on the dinner table. The book is very good and I enjoy reading it very much

Re: Comparing The Great Book of Corgi Volume 1 versus Volume 2 7 years, 10 months ago #19

Platinum Boarder
I was joking. I didn't try this neither.

Re: Comparing The Great Book of Corgi Volume 1 versus Volume 2 7 years, 10 months ago #20

Re: Comparing The Great Book of Corgi Volume 1 versus Volume 2 5 years, 10 months ago #21

Platinum Boarder
As my former volume of the great book has now got into an unreadable state mainly by falling to bits I decided to get another as I searched feebay the prices where beyond ridiculous so I searched Amazon and found this complete edition with free bus etc and surprised that it also came in its original postal box from back in 1989!

Re: Comparing The Great Book of Corgi Volume 1 versus Volume 2 5 years, 10 months ago #22

Platinum Boarder
Well done!

Re: Comparing The Great Book of Corgi Volume 1 versus Volume 2 5 years, 10 months ago #23

Platinum Boarder
Thanks and the bus is minty fresh too 

Re: Comparing The Great Book of Corgi Volume 1 versus Volume 2 5 years, 10 months ago #24

Platinum Boarder
Sorry to steer this thread towards Dinky, but while we are on the topic of model books, can anyone offer their opinion as to which Dinky Book is a good resource.

I understand the Great Book of Dinky is equally as detailed (text and photo) as the Great Book of Corgi. Problem, it is hard to find and way too expensive for me.

I have learned of the following books but have not been able to see anything on line that shows  detail on the amount of pictures, text and completeness of coverage for the entire Dinky model line up. They all seem to claim every model is included, but which one has the best photo library and details such as release dates etc.

Collecting Dinky Toys by Mike Richardson

Dinky Toys and Modelled Miniatures by Mike Richardson

Dinky Toys by Edward Force (7th edition)

Other suggestions?

Thanx

Re: Comparing The Great Book of Corgi Volume 1 versus Volume 2 5 years, 10 months ago #25

Platinum Boarder
Dinky Toys and Modelled Minatures is the widely regarded as the best book on Dinky but these can now be expensive even the 1991 reprint the other 2 you mention are paperbacks and have a lot of photos in them

Re: Comparing The Great Book of Corgi Volume 1 versus Volume 2 5 years, 10 months ago #26

Platinum Boarder
Dinky Toys and Modelled Minatures is widely regarded as the best book on Dinky but these can now be expensive even the 1991 reprint the other 2 you mention are paperbacks and have a lot of photos in them

Re: Comparing The Great Book of Corgi Volume 1 versus Volume 2 5 years, 10 months ago #27

Platinum Boarder
Thanx Michael

So does the Dinky Toys and Modelled Miniatures cover up to the demise of Dinky before Matchbox or would it include their re-issues?

From I have gathered it covers up to 1979 right?

I also see there 3 editions, is that correct or is there more?

I assume the latest edition would be the one to look for
Last Edit: 5 years, 10 months ago by Tick.

Re: Comparing The Great Book of Corgi Volume 1 versus Volume 2 5 years, 10 months ago #28

Platinum Boarder
The Dinky Toys And Modelled Minatures book covers the 1931-79 era Dinky Toys  and the 3 editions are just reprints with the last one having more colour photos and The Dinky Toys compendium that was available seperatly and no new material is included in the main body of text.

Re: Comparing The Great Book of Corgi Volume 1 versus Volume 2 5 years, 10 months ago #29

Platinum Boarder
I have the Great Book of Dinky and the Modelled miniatures Dinky book, The hornby Companion Series Vol. 4, that you refer to above. I also have Dr Forces Dinky Toys paper back. That is good for side shots, info on the toys and what colors they came in and years of production. Also has a price guide, mine is 2006 so a bit out dated but still valid non the less. The Great Book of Dinky Toys is good on many points, like the shop drawings and the numerical order of the content. The pictures are larger and seem to be clearer but there is not much new content over the Modelled minitatures version. I have worn mine out and if I was to spend $70 to $100 on a good dinky book, I would buy the modelled miniatures over the Great Book.
As a Side note. the Great Book of Dinky does not hold a Candle to the Great Book of Corgi. I don't think there has ever been a more comprehesive book on any Toy.
Good on Marcel Van Cleemput. Sure wish I could have been at the lunch with him that was up for Auction on Toy Collector back when, but could not afford the plane fare. Had a place to stay and all.

Re: Comparing The Great Book of Corgi Volume 1 versus Volume 2 5 years, 10 months ago #30

Platinum Boarder
[quote="michael77"]Interesting interview with the man himself! 

This is a very good interview and if you like Corgi toys you should really watch it. 

Immensely informative and a good look into the man himself
Last Edit: 5 years, 10 months ago by Nobleco.