Comparing The Great Book of Corgi Volume 1 versus Volume 2
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Corgi Toys Group Forum: From the Mettoy Era to the latest Corgi Vanguards, here's the place to talk about all those great models named after the Queen's favourite dog!

TOPIC: Comparing The Great Book of Corgi Volume 1 versus Volume 2

Comparing The Great Book of Corgi Volume 1 versus Volume 2 8 years, 1 month ago #1

Last Friday I received the New Great Book of Corgi Volume 2.

I thought it would be a good idea giving it a quick comparison with the first volume.

Volume 1 - 512 pages size of the page 285 x 270mm
Volume 2 - 492 pages size of the page 240 x 293mm

Both are heavy books, so reading/browsing them is best using your dinner table for supporting the book (IMHO)

I found that the typeface used on Volume 2 reads more comfertably, it is not printed in bold and the spacing between the lines makes it more easier to read.

The information is almost the same, from what I read just now, photos are much the same or made bigger in the second Volume. Ofcourse there is the additional information about the years 1984-2010. Makes life easier finding answers on questions.

I am happy with the purchase and have something to read for the rest of the year

Some (not so good) images. As you can see I am a bit biased liking the first Volume cover more than the second 

Volume 1 in its presentation box on the left / Volume 2 on the right

Volume 1 top Volume 2 bottom:

Volume 2

Volume 1

And the Corgi Routemaster that came with Volume 1, in the yellow upper deck/light blue lower deck version. It is said that there are also a few buses issued in the light blue upper deck/yellow lower deck livery, but I have not seen them ever

Re: Comparing The Great Book of Corgi Volume 1 versus Volume 2 8 years, 1 month ago #2

Platinum Boarder
Hey Theo is the book worth getting then? Does it have a lot of info in it? With regards to the other colour variant of the bus I have seen it on ebay but it is not cheap.

Re: Comparing The Great Book of Corgi Volume 1 versus Volume 2 8 years, 1 month ago #3

Yes Jay, I think it is worth getting it

Re: Comparing The Great Book of Corgi Volume 1 versus Volume 2 7 years, 12 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
I've just got this the first edition (1989) and chose this version for its very striking cover now to educate myself in all things Corgi...... 

Re: Comparing The Great Book of Corgi Volume 1 versus Volume 2 7 years, 12 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
What has been left out as the page count is less in the reprint than the 1989 edition

Re: Comparing The Great Book of Corgi Volume 1 versus Volume 2 7 years, 12 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
I think someone said that the fonts are smaller in the new one, so nothing has been left out, it's just more 'compressed'.

Re: Comparing The Great Book of Corgi Volume 1 versus Volume 2 7 years, 12 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
These "cutbacks" appear everywhere...

Re: Comparing The Great Book of Corgi Volume 1 versus Volume 2 7 years, 12 months ago #8

Enjoy the reading Micheal

Re: Comparing The Great Book of Corgi Volume 1 versus Volume 2 7 years, 12 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
Thanks Theo I will and the amount of detail within its pages are astounding it even has the actual sales figures for each model I'm glad I got it very glad indeed

Re: Comparing The Great Book of Corgi Volume 1 versus Volume 2 7 years, 12 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
This the original ad for it in the June/July 1989 edition of model collector magazine it cost £49.99 back then! 

Re: Comparing The Great Book of Corgi Volume 1 versus Volume 2 7 years, 12 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
I have the first edtion of the Great Book of Corgi and I find it unvaluable. So much so that my index is fallout out of the binding and the binding is about to completely fall away from the book. I use it almost daily and have had it for about 6 years now.

Re: Comparing The Great Book of Corgi Volume 1 versus Volume 2 7 years, 12 months ago #12

Platinum Boarder
Mine is still fresh give it a few months and it won't be fresh just like my Dinky toys and modelled miniatures that has lost it's dust jacket and the binding went west years ago....

Re: Comparing The Great Book of Corgi Volume 1 versus Volume 2 7 years, 12 months ago #13

Platinum Boarder
Same with my Dinky and Modelled Miniatures. Right out of the binding and pages falling out. Another book I use pretty much daily, like 20 or more a day some days.

Re: Comparing The Great Book of Corgi Volume 1 versus Volume 2 7 years, 12 months ago #14

Platinum Boarder
My dinky book is held together with bits of tape and fresh air! But the great book of Corgi certainly has opened my eyes and how Cleemput and his team went that extra mile to stay ahead of Dinky

Re: Comparing The Great Book of Corgi Volume 1 versus Volume 2 7 years, 11 months ago #15

Platinum Boarder
The hearse complete with dead body would have been a winner with the morbid depressants etc....