Corgi Toys Group Forum: From the Mettoy Era to the latest Corgi Vanguards, here's the place to talk about all those great models named after the Queen's favourite dog!
  • Page:

TOPIC: corgi toy rip off

Re: corgi toy rip off 8 years, 5 months ago #16

Platinum Boarder
Yes that is the main issue. When did Corgi start using screws in the first place.

Their Centurion, Chieftain, AMX Recovery, M60, SU-100 Tiger1 and King Tiger tanks have Philips or star type screw heads in them. The Quad Artillery tractor also has Philips screw heads as well.

The question would be? Did Corgi start fazing screws instead of rivets during the early part of 1970 would also help answer the plex question about the Van. I note that the experience of Vectis would be enough evidence to say those particular Commer Vans should be all riveted and not screwed.

Re: corgi toy rip off 8 years, 4 months ago #17

Fresh Boarder
riveted or not, i cannot recall seeing a Corgi with a base plate in the same color as the body. In those days they where light grey. If you can compare it with the riveted model from Vectis than you know if it is a fake.

Re: corgi toy rip off 8 years, 4 months ago #18

Platinum Boarder
This model is listed in ramsays price guide. I have seen a few of these come up feepay.

Hers one with 55mins to go, from a seller who sells some very rare Corgi and Dinky.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Corgi-Toys-462-Commer-Promotional-very-rare-/350581967497?pt=UK_ToysGames_DiecastVehicles_DiecastVehicles_JN&hash=item51a0504a89#ht_500wt_1156

Re: corgi toy rip off 8 years, 4 months ago #19

Platinum Boarder
mmm, i see that base plate is also riveted and not screwed, so do we have a conclusion on this debate, in that the other one was a fake!

Re: corgi toy rip off 8 years, 4 months ago #20

Platinum Boarder
The discussion point is it fair dinkum or a fake.

Screwed on or are we being screwed.

Re: corgi toy rip off 8 years, 4 months ago #21

Platinum Boarder
Original with rivet

Don't tell us Corgi ran out of rivets.

Re: corgi toy rip off 8 years, 4 months ago #22

Platinum Boarder
Something similar although it has a rivet.

So what does Dick Tracy say about it. I'll contact Sherlock Holmes and let you know about the Code3 fake.
Last Edit: 8 years, 4 months ago by GunnerJim.

Re: corgi toy rip off 8 years, 4 months ago #23

Platinum Boarder
I noticed on the Box that it says, "PlayCraft Toys Ltd  London" Is that an original box as I don't have any Corgi boxes and I have never see that on one before. It usually says "First with Windows"

Re: corgi toy rip off 8 years, 4 months ago #24

Platinum Boarder
The PlayCraft Toys Ltd is on the other box too but cannot see if it is on the Combex as its box is only on the side where First with Windows which is on the ones with PlayCraft Toys Ltd too. I don't know as I am none the wiser on this one.
Last Edit: 8 years, 4 months ago by GunnerJim.

Re: corgi toy rip off 8 years, 4 months ago #25

Platinum Boarder
As I said, I don't have any Corgi boxes but this is the first time I have seen or noticed this at any rate. Not sure if it means anything at all. Maybe one of our Corgi Collectors can set us straight on this.

Re: corgi toy rip off 8 years, 4 months ago #26

Platinum Boarder
Playcraft toys was written on many if not all corgi boxes in the 1960's, but im not sure when they stopped putting it on though
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco, GunnerJim

Re: corgi toy rip off 8 years, 4 months ago #27

Platinum Boarder
Playcraft toys address in 1969 was in northampton this was also mettoys address .so from 1970 onwards was the playcraft london address changed? any one have boxes from 1970 on to confirm this
Last Edit: 8 years, 4 months ago by LUFF.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco, GunnerJim

Re: corgi toy rip off 8 years, 4 months ago #28

Platinum Boarder
Thanks for that.

Re: corgi toy rip off 8 years, 4 months ago #29

Platinum Boarder
Thanks for the info. Hopefully someone has the answer.

Re: corgi toy rip off 7 years, 1 month ago #30

Platinum Boarder
After 1 year and 3 months here's the answer btw those Combex promos come with screw bases and can go into 4 figures 

• Page: