Corgi Toys Group Forum: From the Mettoy Era to the latest Corgi Vanguards, here's the place to talk about all those great models named after the Queen's favourite dog!
  • Page:

TOPIC: corgi toy rip off

corgi toy rip off 8 years, 5 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
Found this over priced what i believe to be repaint even as late wheels and even the box looks to be a very good repo whats your verdict guys .

www.ebay.com/itm/CORGI-COMBEX-Ind-Ltd-CO...;hash=item2571901b22

Re: corgi toy rip off 8 years, 5 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
Hmmm, very strange wheels for a 1970 Corgi and why would Corgi use a screw for the baseplate on a model that normally uses a rivet?

I've never heard of a Combex-variant before so have nothing to compare with, and I guess this is the real pitfall of the 'rare variants' market. So many claims of super-rare ones, but who knows what's real and what's not? One thing I can say for sure: there's no way I'd buy this one!

Re: corgi toy rip off 8 years, 5 months ago #3

I agree Tee,

also the box looks too new to me and there is neither a drawing of the van nor a number on it.

The issue with the screw instead of the rivet is suspicious too.

Can't find anything on it in the great book of corgi

Perhaps Mr van Cleemput can shine a light on this

Re: corgi toy rip off 8 years, 5 months ago #4

Administrator
Never heard of this one. Those are the wheels they used on the pop-art Mustang stock car and some of the Mustang 2+2 racers, among others.

Re: corgi toy rip off 8 years, 5 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
I would be very wary of this one and be asking the seller a few questions. Where did he get it and how many were produced. LOL bet he can't answer that. If it was a limited edtion, I thought all Corgi had a certificate to state it was say, 0540 of 2500 or something like that.

Re: corgi toy rip off 8 years, 5 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
It seems that vectis sold one of these in 2005 .

can not find out the price as i am not a member of their website

Last Edit: 8 years, 5 months ago by LUFF.

Re: corgi toy rip off 8 years, 5 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
Did a bit of a field search and found this Promotional Vehicle for Combex Industries Ltd in 1970 based on the standard Corgi 462 Commer Van and one recently sold for 1250 British Pounds. Yep I'll have two of them with my fish & chips.

It is suggested only a small batch were produced for this company. Anyway it might be true and it might not be true.

Re: corgi toy rip off 8 years, 5 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
A quick search within the Vectis website shows they've sold about a dozen of these in the last five years. Hammer prices range from £500 to £2000 !!

Dave.

Re: corgi toy rip off 8 years, 5 months ago #9

Administrator
Whoops. Looks like we may all have jumped on the seller a bit too fast!

Re: corgi toy rip off 8 years, 5 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
I looked at the certificate and realised it belonged to Combex Ltd then followed my fingers.

Re: corgi toy rip off 8 years, 5 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
If you read the descriptions on the Wothpoint screenshots, there's one thing that really stands out... "rivetted base"!!!

The one on eBay is held together by a screw. To me, this says it all!

Re: corgi toy rip off 8 years, 5 months ago #12

Platinum Boarder
Good eyes there Tee. We all have to be very careful and do our home work when it comes to items like this.

Re: corgi toy rip off 8 years, 5 months ago #13

Platinum Boarder
It would be nice to see a box from the vectis sales aswell !

Re: corgi toy rip off 8 years, 5 months ago #14

Platinum Boarder
Sure, why not, I can't see Vectis objecting to our borrowing their pix for this purpose, can you?

All the vans and boxes are identical as far as I can see.

Last Edit: 8 years, 5 months ago by DaveF.

Re: corgi toy rip off 8 years, 5 months ago #15

Platinum Boarder
It seems that they could be code 2, but the one on ebay with a screwed base still suspect.
  • Page: