Two Rare Corgis: Purple Rover & Stunt Bike!
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Corgi Toys Group Forum: From the Mettoy Era to the latest Corgi Vanguards, here's the place to talk about all those great models named after the Queen's favourite dog!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Two Rare Corgis: Purple Rover & Stunt Bike!

Two Rare Corgis: Purple Rover & Stunt Bike! 11 years, 4 months ago #1

Administrator
I\'ve been after one of these for a very long time!

This is the last incarnation of Corgi\'s Rover P6, which started life as a 2000 with Trans-O-Lite, then became the Monte Carlo Rally car with added jewelled foglights up front, then got modified with a big sunroof, plastic grille, jewelled headlamps, take-off-wheels and boot-mounted-spare, then got modified again to run on WhizzWheels. Let nobody say Corgi didn\'t get some mileage out of those moulds! According to Great Book of Corgi, they made just 48,000 of these!

And here\'s a weird one: the Corgi Stunt Bike.

Corgi apparently came up with this with the idea that it could be used in track sets. But it didn\'t work out and they only made 19,000 of them, so this is even rarer!

Re:Two Rare Corgis: Purple Rover & Stunt Bike! 11 years, 4 months ago #2

The motorbike looks like one similar to the Hot Wheels series done in the 70s, I think the Rrumblers was the name. The Hot Wheels had a clear plastic wishbone shaped base that snapped onto the bottomof the bike in a similar fashion, to keep the bikes on the track.

Re:Two Rare Corgis: Purple Rover & Stunt Bike! 11 years, 4 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
I have seen sets like that before. Hard to keep a bike on the track, I would think, with out some set up to carry it. Nice models, by the way, and thanks for sharing them with us.

Last Edit: 11 years, 4 months ago by Nobleco.

Re:Two Rare Corgis: Purple Rover & Stunt Bike! 11 years, 4 months ago #4

Expert Boarder
These purple Rovers are lovely, I remember paying 39p for mine way back in 1973 and I still have the box plus the repainted well used car alongside a very good condition replacement now in the box.The Great Book of Corgi says that 48,000 were sold boxed as no 281, however these figures exclude thousands more which were sold in Car Transporter sets.M Van C tells us that there were minimum production runs of 50,000 peices for new castings in the range - so I wonder what happened to the rest of those stunt bikes.....perhaps they were used in the Wall of Death sets!

Re:Two Rare Corgis: Purple Rover & Stunt Bike! 11 years, 4 months ago #5

Administrator
Was this the same bike that was in the Wall of Death set? I thought it was, but have never actually seen a pic of the set, so wasn\'t sure. 
I can\'t help thinking Corgi did miss a trick by not doing a 2000TC Police Car (odd, since they\'d already done so many versions of it!) Especailly as all they\'d have needed to do would be to cast a new plastic moulding of a roof with police sign and lights to snap in in place of the clear sunroof, and maybe add a couple of holes on the boot for a plastic boot sign!

Re:Two Rare Corgis: Purple Rover & Stunt Bike! 11 years, 4 months ago #6

Expert Boarder
There are some great pix of the Wall of Death set in the archive on MCCH.It is the same dolly, and there are 2 versions of the bike, the earliest of which was purchased from Britains by Corgi.The WOD set for Woolies sold much better than the bike alone, and I am not surprised!
  • Page: