Corgi Toys Group Forum: From the Mettoy Era to the latest Corgi Vanguards, here's the place to talk about all those great models named after the Queen's favourite dog!
  • Page:

TOPIC: VW 1500 Karmann Ghia

VW 1500 Karmann Ghia 11 years, 6 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
This is a pretty little model.

Re:VW 1500 Karmann Ghia 11 years, 6 months ago #2

Administrator
Great model, with lots of interesting stuff about it, most notably that it was the first Corgi toy to have a moulded plastic interior rather than a simple, thin vacuum-formed one. Note also that the steering wheel is moulded in, rather than being a separate piece, unlike every other Corgi car that came after it.

Also, it was rather an odd choice for the Corgi range, seeing as virtually no 1500 Karmann Ghias were sold in the UK (the Beetle-based K-G was more popular) and there\'s one design feature that\'s always struck me as odd - at the back, the moulded hook on the baseplate that slots into the body to hold the back of the baseplate in goes into a slot below the licence plate, making it look like there\'s a chrome bar under the rear plate. On the real car there isn\'t, it\'s just flat metal, so I wonder why they didn\'t put the hole where the number plate is supposed to be so the hook part could represent the number plate (if you see what I mean!)

Re:VW 1500 Karmann Ghia 11 years, 6 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
wow... a lot of insight on this unusual car... what are the chances that one of the General Manager\'s at Corgi Toys owned one and wanted a model for himself and his kids???

Re:VW 1500 Karmann Ghia 11 years, 6 months ago #4

Administrator
Possible!
Siku made a model of it too, but that made more sense as they\'re German!

Re:VW 1500 Karmann Ghia 11 years, 6 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
Siku too??? I\'ve checked it out

note that the van has an unusual front too...

could this be the DKW van that was based on the VW Bulli???
Last Edit: 11 years, 6 months ago by RVREVO.

Re:VW 1500 Karmann Ghia 11 years, 6 months ago #6

Administrator
If I remember this right, that\'s the Tempo Matador which was indeed based on the VW, but I think it was actually mid-engined...

Re:VW 1500 Karmann Ghia 11 years, 6 months ago #7

Administrator
Yes, I checked and I was right! That is a Tempo Matador, which was powered by a VW engine that drove the front wheels and was positioned just behind them - making it the only mid-engined, front-wheel-drive minibus ever!

ETA:
Actually, I\'ve just discovered that apparently this is the 1958 version, which had an Austin A50 engine!
Last Edit: 11 years, 6 months ago by Baskingshark.

Re:VW 1500 Karmann Ghia 11 years, 6 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
either or... I did not know that... which is unusual for me... you\'d think with my VW collection I would\'ve come across this van sooner...

now I want one.

Re:VW 1500 Karmann Ghia 11 years, 6 months ago #9

Administrator
I\'m on the lookout for one myself - the good news is that it\'s not one of the rare Sikus and good unboxed ones seem to go pretty cheap when they show up. (Probably because nobody knows what they are!)
I read up a little - the VW powered version was made up to 1951 and looks a bit different to this one. VW decided to discontinue the arrangement when they introduced the Transporter. After that, they switched to other engines, including the Austin unit. According to Wikipedia. Tempo was founded as Vidal & Sohn Tempo-Werke in 1924 in Hamburg and made small military vehicles before collaborating with an Indian firm called Bajaj Ltd to make 3-wheeler trucks. The Matador (which had four wheels) was made from 1949 until 1967 and in 1966, Tempo joined up with Hanomag, and all the vehicles were badged as Hanomags or Hanomag-Henchsels after that. In 1971, Hanomag-Henchsel & Tempo were bought by Mercedes, who continued production of their vehicles until 1977, although the Tempo name never re-appeared as the vehicles were badged as Hanomags, Rheinstahl-Hanomag, Hanomag-Henschel, or Mercedes.

Some of the VW Tuners have made mad custom Matadors, especially out of the pickup versions!

Last Edit: 11 years, 6 months ago by Baskingshark.

Re:VW 1500 Karmann Ghia 11 years, 6 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
so that\'s why the later matador vans look like hanomag-henschel\'s. I can relate to that one, one of my uncle\'s in holland had one as a campervan.

Re:VW 1500 Karmann Ghia 11 years, 6 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
Great info on that toy, Andrew. I hope that is in Toypedia. Quite indepth too.

Re:VW 1500 Karmann Ghia 11 years, 6 months ago #12

Platinum Boarder
wicked van - as a front wheel drive. Not necessarily the first FWD van in the world... There was the Citroen van with Traction Avant, and the Peugeot J7/J9.

Re:VW 1500 Karmann Ghia 11 years, 6 months ago #13

Administrator
Definitely not the first FWD, but the first (and I think, probably the ONLY) mid-engined FWD van since the engine was behind the front wheels.

Thanks Jim - as soon as these brands are up, I\'ll be adding it all!

Re:VW 1500 Karmann Ghia 11 years, 6 months ago #14

Platinum Boarder
What about the Jeep FC150?

Re:VW 1500 Karmann Ghia 11 years, 6 months ago #15

Isn\'t that the little cab over pick up?
  • Page: