Aston Martin Competition Model restoration
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Corgi Toys Group Forum: From the Mettoy Era to the latest Corgi Vanguards, here's the place to talk about all those great models named after the Queen's favourite dog!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Aston Martin Competition Model restoration

Aston Martin Competition Model restoration 9 months, 3 weeks ago #1

Expert Boarder
<p>It took a long time and still I am not 100% happy with the finish around the headlamps. Two window pillars missing and a bent hood, no headlamps and very poor paint.<br /><br />I wonder if all the work was worth it. New window pillars soldered into place, and repairs to the roof, hood and headlamp surrounds. All the parts were present, even the spring to hold the hood. New decals on inkjet waterslide paper (don't forget to coat it with clear acrillic spray).<br /><br />And, well, I will redo or tidy up the headlights, and the windows need repair and polish. But I have spent a lot of time on this already.</p>
Last Edit: 9 months, 3 weeks ago by mrjeff.

Re: Aston Martin Competition Model restoration 9 months, 3 weeks ago #2

Expert Boarder

Re: Aston Martin Competition Model restoration 9 months, 3 weeks ago #3

Expert Boarder

Re: Aston Martin Competition Model restoration 9 months, 3 weeks ago #4

Expert Boarder

Re: Aston Martin Competition Model restoration 9 months, 3 weeks ago #5

Expert Boarder

Re: Aston Martin Competition Model restoration 9 months, 3 weeks ago #6

Platinum Boarder
That is a lot of work that has gone into the wretched toy. Those headlights are tough to get right. Have you though of using Headlight holders instead of just putting jewels into the holes? They are available from SF or MCP. When I did this car for a customer it was in much better shape than yours. Yours looks pretty good for what you started off with. I do agree that the headlight areas need some work.
I did the engine a different way and did not remove it from the car. Easy enough to do if you have patience for the masking. Here are a couple pictures for you.

Re: Aston Martin Competition Model restoration 9 months, 3 weeks ago #7

I think it looks very good Mr Jeff. How did you replace the A pillar and what material did you use?

Re: Aston Martin Competition Model restoration 9 months, 3 weeks ago #8

Platinum Boarder
Great work, colours look true to Corgi

Re: Aston Martin Competition Model restoration 9 months, 3 weeks ago #9

Expert Boarder
The A Pillar was made using a piece of copper wire soldered in place and coated with a metal epoxy resin (JB Weld) and filed into shape. Groves were cut into the body to provide a good key. The copper and the body should be tinned with a little solder before soldering the wire into place.

Re: Aston Martin Competition Model restoration 9 months, 3 weeks ago #10

Platinum Boarder
<p>[quote="mrjeff" post=387782] [
<a href="https://mrjeffsplace.com/blogimg/AstonMartinC/8.jpg[/img][/quote">https://mrjeffsplace.com/blogimg/AstonMartinC/8.jpg[/img][/quote</a>]<br /><br />Very good, note the hole in the front of the nose cone, looks very sorry for itself before you worked your magic on it.</p>
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: Aston Martin Competition Model restoration 9 months, 3 weeks ago #11

Platinum Boarder
I agree, it is a job well done. Colors are right on as Theo says and it looks the part again. This was sure one played with and probably loved toy at one time. Nice to see it back together.
  • Page: