Morris Minor - the Portugal question
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Corgi Toys Group Forum: From the Mettoy Era to the latest Corgi Vanguards, here's the place to talk about all those great models named after the Queen's favourite dog!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Morris Minor - the Portugal question

Morris Minor - the Portugal question 8 years, 10 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
ok then, I've only ever seen this model once way back in 1993 when I was still in Holland, and I still regret not buying it then.

It was an original pre-production Morris Minor van in red with Royal Mail livery.

Flip it over and it say Corgi on one edge, and Made in Portugal on the other edge.

Currently ebay sellers are selling 'Portuguese' Morris Minor's without checking if this is so. One seller argued with me that he didn't want to spoil the model by taking it out of the box for fear of damaging it.

His reluctance to check leaves me with no doubt it was the British transition model in a box which was printed in Portugal.

Not that he was asking much for it.

My last one I recently won I posed the same question, but forgot to ask the seller to check the model. So I have a transition 'Made in G.Britain' model in a box printed in Portugal.

In comparison with the other grey box that seems to be ok.

What sellers don't realise is that these boxes with loose flaps and the model with the key attachment are made for display, but also for easy removal to admire the model in the hand.

The whole 'unspoiled' spiel they come up with does not apply to this particular model.

so then... has my memory forced me to be delusional of the two 'Portugal' made Morris Minors?

If so, do I already own them and 'Made in Gt.Britain' was just as much a Corgi trademark?

Re: Morris Minor - the Portugal question 8 years, 6 months ago #2

Fresh Boarder
Corgi originally contracted out the Morris Minor Van production to Vitesse in Portugal since Vitesse already had dies for it. The initial production was indeed made in Portugal but with Corgi on the baseplate (even though it was actually produced by Vitesse.) Corgi soon found out that they were having quality and supply issues and bought the dies outright. Subsequent models had the Made in Great Britain baseplate. Transitional releases with Portugal boxes and GB models could have been released, but that would be impossible to verify due to the easy removal of the model from the box.

At the same time that Corgi bought the Morris van dies, they also bought the dies for the Mack box truck and pumper, and the White (Sauer) box truck and open Lorry. There are a number of Vitesse versions of these two models prior to the sale, with subsequent versions released in the Corgi line. Corgi did not buy the dies for the Sauer coach, and that remained in production for some time afterward as a Vitesse model.

Bill
The following user(s) said Thank You: DaveF, RoutemasterNL

Re: Morris Minor - the Portugal question 8 years, 6 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
Thanks Bill, that clears up real nicely.

The model I saw all those years ago was a Vitesse then, with a Corgi logo.

I'm glad it wasn't my imagination.

Re: Morris Minor - the Portugal question 8 years, 6 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
like finding a needle in a haystack.

Re: Morris Minor - the Portugal question 8 years, 6 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
Very interesting subject as these sort of deals are done from time to time.

Re: Morris Minor - the Portugal question 8 years, 6 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
having seen the real one back in '93 I feel regret at not having purchased it at the time.

Re: Morris Minor - the Portugal question 8 years, 6 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
Yes Richard.  I have walked by and stopped for glance and then later on kick myself for not buying the toy concerned.

Re: Morris Minor - the Portugal question 8 years, 4 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
I don't think there was a quality issue with the 'Made in Portugal' models. When this was discovered collectors were outraged that Corgi Classics went to a third party to manufacture these models. Fearing that UK customers wouldn't buy Corgi products unless they were made in the UK Corgi bought the dies back and made them in Swansea.

Chris

Re: Morris Minor - the Portugal question 8 years, 4 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
Hi Chris,

yes, this mystery has frustrated me for sometime. Was it just the van that was designed and manufactured by Vitesse???
Or the little sedan variant as well?

Both my Police panda-cars have some subtle differences

Re: Morris Minor - the Portugal question 7 years, 11 months ago #10

Fresh Boarder
I have two of them. When Corgi introduced the Minor van, if started collecting them. I kept on collecting them untill Corgi moved production to China. The first two have plastic base plates and differ from the UK production which have metal bas plates. The "made in portugal" sign is in the bottom middle of the base plate. The base plate of the Royal mail is black and the Post Office telephone one is brown. I kept all the boxes in storage and still have all my models on the shelve. I think i might have all the Minor models untill China including the Guernsey Postoffice van. If you want i can make pictures of the base plates to prove. I don't know iof i want to sell/swap the models but i might be tempted by a good offer.
Last Edit: 7 years, 11 months ago by rplanken.

Re: Morris Minor - the Portugal question 7 years, 11 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
Depends on your bottom price. Will happy with good photos for now.

Re: Morris Minor - the Portugal question 7 years, 11 months ago #12

Fresh Boarder

The following user(s) said Thank You: RVREVO

Re: Morris Minor - the Portugal question 7 years, 5 months ago #13

Platinum Boarder
After reading this topic  I went upstairs to check the 3 Minors I have :

the Post Office one is from Portugal the Pick up is from China and the car is from England

Have you got a Portugues one yet Rvro ? If you want I can look for one on marktplaats ed.

the one in the garage is a Traveller (days gone)
Last Edit: 7 years, 5 months ago by blackstone.

Re: Morris Minor - the Portugal question 7 years, 5 months ago #14

Fresh Boarder
Well, Nobody was trying to tempt me to sell my two examples. I might be tempted by a nice swap offer. I'm now thinking about disposing my whole Minor collection due to lack of room and i already have them a million years so it is time for something else. I'm open to sencible offers.

Cheers, Ron

En ik zal echt niet het vel over de oren trekken. Dat is beloofd.

Re: Morris Minor - the Portugal question 7 years, 5 months ago #15

Platinum Boarder
Helaas ben ik nog steeds totaal blut.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GunnerJim
  • Page: