Question for Corgi collectors
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Corgi Toys Group Forum: From the Mettoy Era to the latest Corgi Vanguards, here's the place to talk about all those great models named after the Queen's favourite dog!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Question for Corgi collectors

Question for Corgi collectors 9 years, 2 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
Not sure if it's me and my lack of Corgi knowledge but I thought that only small scale (1:64) Corgi were called Whizzwheels.

A few times now I have bought what was listed as 'Whizzwheels' only to get larger size Corgi vehicles, can someone confirm that Corgi used the term for larger scale as well or not.

Not that I am complaining as have ended up with some nice models although at an unexpected size

Re: Question for Corgi collectors 9 years, 2 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
They also did 1/43 with whizzwheels in the mid 70s on
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scruffyhippo

Re: Question for Corgi collectors 9 years, 2 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
agreed... whizzwheels was the gimmick to counter Superfast and Hotwheels

Re: Question for Corgi collectors 9 years, 2 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
Corgi Whizzwheels are almost always the large scale (1/43).  The lil' ones are often named  Husky/Corgi Jr/Corgi Rockets, in case you see those names...

Re: Question for Corgi collectors 9 years, 1 month ago #5

Platinum Boarder
Thanks for the answers folks, very helpful

Re: Question for Corgi collectors 8 years, 8 months ago #6

Senior Boarder
Corgi Whizzwheels are almost always the large scale (1/43).  The lil' ones are often named  Husky/Corgi Jr/Corgi Rockets, in case you see those names...

And if you see any Gorgi Rockets snap them up there very hard to find

Re: Question for Corgi collectors 8 years, 8 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
"Whizwheels" were Mettoys (Corgi Toys brand owner) name for their version of low friction wheels.

The name was used for both 'Corgi Toys' and 'Corgi Juniors' where this type of wheel was fitted to a model.

The 'Corgi Rockets' line also had low friction wheels but they were a separate category.

The Corgi 'Husky' line never had any models with 'Whizzwheels'.

The 'Husky' range was revamped into 'Corgi Juniors' when the contact to supply Woolworth stores ended. 'Husky' models were only available at Woolworths.

Some 'Husky' castings found their way into the 'Corgi Rockets' line and when this line ceased production models that were only available in the 'Corgi Rockets' line were then transferred to the 'Corgi JUniors' line.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Re: Question for Corgi collectors 8 years, 8 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
re: the Woolworths quote... that explains a great deal. Here in New Zealand we had Woolworths too, although a very distant cousin of the British one it may have been the Colonial connection that made this link possible.

never really saw Husky's in Holland, but the handful I found in garage sales were ones either brought over from England or were sold here in NZ.

Still, at the moment I'm pleased enough with the models I've collected now, especially that #16 Aveling Barford Snowplough from Indrindri

Re: Question for Corgi collectors 6 years, 10 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
Hi there guys, Woolworth's were an American company, not opening a store in the UK until 1909, that's why so many of us think they are/were British.

Many toy and model companies went to Woolworth's for the exclusive distribution of their product lines...Corgi, (with the Husky range), Airfix kits, the "Highway Pioneers" kits in the USA and the models made by Playart, (Corgi Husky sized diecasts), among others no doubt.

So a big loss to our hobby.

Rollerman.

Re: Question for Corgi collectors 6 years, 10 months ago #10

There are a few Woolworth Stores in Germany.

What a coincidence, I am visiting one tomorrow, mainly trying to find some Matchbox bargains

Re: Question for Corgi collectors 6 years, 10 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
A management buyout allows them to seperate from the parent company, so that's why some countries still have a Woolworth's store...Boo! Hoo, Hoo!

We don't have one here in the UK...Boo! Hoo, Hoo!

Rollerman.

Re: Question for Corgi collectors 6 years, 10 months ago #12

Platinum Boarder
We still have Woolworths here in Australia though they are more a grocery chain now the department store side is now called Big W here.

Re: Question for Corgi collectors 3 years, 3 months ago #13

Platinum Boarder
We had Big W too here in the UK - a megastore version of an ordinary Woolworths. These disappeared when the UK Woolworths Company went bankrupt.

Chris
  • Page: