Corgi "Red Rose" Routemaster repair...only in Canada you say, pity
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Corgi Toys Group Forum: From the Mettoy Era to the latest Corgi Vanguards, here's the place to talk about all those great models named after the Queen's favourite dog!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Corgi "Red Rose" Routemaster repair...only in Canada you say, pity

Corgi "Red Rose" Routemaster repair...only in Canada you say, pity 2 years ago #1

Expert Boarder
<p>I picked up this Red Rose Routemaster at a yard sale in my neighborhood for a great price, because it had a broken lower window and body damage.</p>
<p>It looks like some Anti-Tea kiddies back in the 60’s did some target shooting on this with a bow and arrow. When I removed the rivet from the chassis, I found part of a broken arrow and the arrow's tip inside.</p>
<p>
</p>
Last Edit: 2 years ago by gcladd.

Re: Corgi "Red Rose" Routemaster repair...only in Canada you say, pity 2 years ago #2

Expert Boarder
I had an extra Outspan Routemaster (auction find) that was missing the upper section for the seats. The original plan was to use the Red Rose as a “parts” vehicle.
Glad I researched this vehicle before acting. The Outspan became the parts and Red Rose became the repair.

Re: Corgi "Red Rose" Routemaster repair...only in Canada you say, pity 2 years ago #3

Expert Boarder
I used some metal forming techniques after removing the chassis plate and carefully cold formed the damaged side to the lower body contour without disassembly of any other portion of the vehicle.

Bit of paint damage still visible where the arrow hit the body…a bit of patina associated with this model’s past history.

Re: Corgi "Red Rose" Routemaster repair...only in Canada you say, pity 2 years ago #4

Expert Boarder
The Red Rose needed a new lower window section that came from the Outspan. I also replaced a couple of decals on the front and rear of the Red Rose with ones that were carefully steamed off the Outspan

Re: Corgi "Red Rose" Routemaster repair...only in Canada you say, pity 2 years ago #5

Expert Boarder
I left the original patina still intact. I definitely have no plans to tamper with the originality of this Corgi. Only visible repair is a 2-56 stainless steel pan head machine screw in the bottom, that threads into a tapped hole in the rivet post.

I have seen others in better paint condition than mine, but this only cost me 8 bucks and about 30 minutes of repair time while watching a documentary on the History Channel.

I know these were released by Corgi for Expo 67, in Canada as a mail order item, and supposedly there were not a great number available. This is even better than the Dinky Shado 2 (missing the missile, another machining project)) that I got the other day at a local second hand store.

Re: Corgi "Red Rose" Routemaster repair...only in Canada you say, pity 2 years ago #6

Platinum Boarder
That is a great score and you got to like Yard sales here in Canada. They come few and far between with toys here in my area of BC but looks like it is alive an healthy in Ontario. Good work and I like the idea of leaving some tell tale marks from its history. Good work.

Re: Corgi "Red Rose" Routemaster repair...only in Canada you say, pity 2 years ago #7

Expert Boarder
<p>test...can't get rid of those annoying p's</p>
Last Edit: 2 years ago by gcladd.

Re: Corgi "Red Rose" Routemaster repair...only in Canada you say, pity 2 years ago #8

Platinum Boarder
GLaddiator, Only use Quick Reply on the bottom right of the page. That will not put the HTML in you post. DON'T edit either as that also puts it in. I am using Quick Reply right now and no HTML

Re: Corgi "Red Rose" Routemaster repair...only in Canada you say, pity 2 years ago #9

And interesting find... Thank you for showing. I have not seen this Red Rose Tea RM before and it is one I have to find for my vollection.
  • Page: