Corgi 226 Morris Mini-Minor resto
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Corgi Toys Group Forum: From the Mettoy Era to the latest Corgi Vanguards, here's the place to talk about all those great models named after the Queen's favourite dog!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Corgi 226 Morris Mini-Minor resto

Corgi 226 Morris Mini-Minor resto 2 years, 10 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
Here we go with another toy from Cam. I had to replace the window unit and of course give it a paint job. Here it is as rec'd.

Blasted clean.

Primed.

Second coat of primer and ready and mounted for painting.

Some Blue paint.

Forgot to take pics of the detailing but....

Here we are finished up.

Screen does not fit too well at the rear.

Cam made the rivets and I cut them from the Aluminum nails he made them with. He turned down the shank and shaped the head. I just cleaned them up a bit and gave a bit of a polish.

This was started Dec 22 and I ordered the window on Jan 2. It arrived on Jan 24 and I had the car ready to go so done today.
Last Edit: 2 years, 10 months ago by Nobleco.

Re: Corgi 226 Morris Mini-Minor resto 2 years, 10 months ago #2

Looking good! A shame about the rear window fit
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco, 143Madness

Re: Corgi 226 Morris Mini-Minor resto 2 years, 10 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
The model sure looks fresh, and although underneath, also the rivets look good. 

I can understand Theo's comment though. The early Corgi's, especially the 200-209 series and the small ones like the Mini had the tendency to have windows which are a bit too big. If so, they tend to go down a bit, showing the upper ridge. This problem is worse with most repro windows, because they are vacuum formed. The maker took an original unit and formed a new unit OVER the old one, which made the new one even bigger.

As I might have mentioned before the solution could be to plaster the inside of an original, then take the original off, and then use the plastered unit as a vacuum form. The problem then however vould be that the plaster is bot smooth enough, which will show on the new vacuum form. Also, a vacuum form is made of softer plastic, so you can carefully cut away the parts which do not show. You can cut the windows behind the pillars, still leave them attached to the inner part touching the roof. This gives the unit room to stay in place when glued in. This takes a lot of experimenting of course, and you could ruin the new unit.
Last Edit: 2 years, 10 months ago by Keesie.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: Corgi 226 Morris Mini-Minor resto 2 years, 10 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
Very nice job & great colour choice.

Re: Corgi 226 Morris Mini-Minor resto 2 years, 10 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
Theo, yes it is a shame.
Kees, it is not a problem of the window unit being vacuuformed wrong as it is a cast piece, pressure molded in a machine or mold. It is made of Hard plastic and I don't doubt what you say about the size being wrong as mine is wrong. It is Too Small. Does not go all the way to the rear and could be extended by a couple mm. It fits up into the roof just fine and contacts the surface well. It is just a bit to narrow and too short. First time I have had this happen to me. All of Steve's windows over the years have been exactly like the originals in looks and fit. Not sure why this is not correct unless there were casting differences in the base model and mine is not from the same batch as the window unit was taken from to make the first mold at Steve's shop.
Andy, Thanks and I always try to match up the original color on my restorations. This one came bare so I just compared the color in the Great Book of Corgi to the paints I have and came up with a close enough match. I think it looks great on the car too.

Re: Corgi 226 Morris Mini-Minor resto 2 years, 10 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
Looks a very nice job Nobleco, I remember having similar trouble with window fit with replacement window units

Re: Corgi 226 Morris Mini-Minor resto 2 years, 10 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
Really nice colour and the detailing is spot on

Re: Corgi 226 Morris Mini-Minor resto 2 years, 10 months ago #8

Senior Boarder
michael77 wrote:
Really nice colour and the detailing is spot on

Just what I was thinking. Excellent!
  • Page: