Corgi FC-150 Instruction to Replace Conveyor Belts
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Corgi Toys Group Forum: From the Mettoy Era to the latest Corgi Vanguards, here's the place to talk about all those great models named after the Queen's favourite dog!

TOPIC: Corgi FC-150 Instruction to Replace Conveyor Belts

Corgi FC-150 Instruction to Replace Conveyor Belts 3 years, 5 months ago #1

Fresh Boarder
I've located only one supplier who manufactures replacement rubber conveyor belts for the Corgi FC-150 and I've looked at the conveyor castings and how they are attached and am concerned about reassembling the mechanism after its disassembly. In order to replace the two (2) Belts that appear to come in an already attached loop, the following need to be taken apart.  The two halves of the main support body are held together by two standoffs that each have one sided dimples on the tip end. Once this dimple is drilled away, what would be the accepted procedure to reattach these ends without the benefit of re-dimpling the support? The other issue is that both “upper” and “lower” conveyors have “U” Shaped cast arms that allow for up and down adjustment. These two arms are attached to the conveyors swivel on two points and I think they are zinc. It will require the U shaped support to be spread apart to allow for removal, but will they spread without the Zinc cracking?

Requests to the supplier for instructions before ordering these have gone unanswered thus far as I don’t wish to attempt this without first knowing this is within my capabilities to successfully replace and restore it.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated as this Little Corgi is in great condition after it was gifted to me me 55 years ago…

Last Edit: 3 years, 5 months ago by marc-rob.

Re: Corgi FC-150 Instruction to Replace Conveyor Belts 3 years, 5 months ago #2

Hello marc-rob,
Welcome to the forum.
You have got quite a project taken on. Can't help you with any answers to your questions, but I am sure some of our fellow members can.
Do you collect Corgi only?

Re: Corgi FC-150 Instruction to Replace Conveyor Belts 3 years, 5 months ago #3

Fresh Boarder
Thanks for the kind welcome!

As I mentioned I'm hoping the dealer will send the instructions... Since he's the only one I could find making these belts (And Instructions) I didn't think it was asking too much....

My parents kept my original Matchbox Carrier filled with all my cars and I never played with them roughly so they are in brilliant condition. I only have the two Corgi's that were special buys for me circa 1964 or so......  The Simon Snorkel sits above me on my desk... again it great shape. Hoping to do the same with the Jeep Conveyor.....

I've just received two replacement rubber tracks that I ordered for two of my MB's that time dried up. Now appear just out of the box.  Who knew we should have kept the boxes!

I get to play again with them all as my grandkids 2 & 5 yrs enjoy them greatly. I'll pass them on to them when they turn 18, as I could not bare seeing them treated without the same care as I gave them.

Cheers!

Last Edit: 3 years, 5 months ago by marc-rob.

Re: Corgi FC-150 Instruction to Replace Conveyor Belts 3 years, 5 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
A big welcome from Belgium.

Re: Corgi FC-150 Instruction to Replace Conveyor Belts 3 years, 5 months ago #5

Fresh Boarder
Thank you Karma!

Re: Corgi FC-150 Instruction to Replace Conveyor Belts 3 years, 4 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
Welcome to Planet Diecast, good luck with the fitting.

Re: Corgi FC-150 Instruction to Replace Conveyor Belts 3 years, 4 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
Welcome from Holland!

Re: Corgi FC-150 Instruction to Replace Conveyor Belts 3 years, 4 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
The zinc-arms will crack no doubt, as they are also very thin. If you are really determined to get it back to restored working order, and a part will crack, you no doubt need other parts or donor models (which are easy to find......but they will also crack). What I am getting at is this: Why go through all that, with the possibility to break parts of your original model, if things can be done far easier? I took an old inner tube of a bicycle, and this has the same thickness as the original rubber. I cut two parts (of different lengths) and glued them on. The model functions as it should, only a bit stiff when the parts glued together reach the end of each line. Here the model.

Last Edit: 3 years, 4 months ago by Keesie.
The following user(s) said Thank You: chaccamacca

Re: Corgi FC-150 Instruction to Replace Conveyor Belts 3 years, 4 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
I found this on the fleamarket in my hometownfor 0,50€: Siku.

Maybe i can use this belt to restore the conveyor belt, cut it and glue it.

Thank you for the idea.

Re: Corgi FC-150 Instruction to Replace Conveyor Belts 3 years, 4 months ago #10

Fresh Boarder
Thank you Keesie for the details!  I too had thought about finding a THIN inner tube but could not imagine the glued ends even passing the rollers on that tight of a radius.

I'll certainly give it a try as your sharing  your experience is very helpful .

Thanks again!

Re: Corgi FC-150 Instruction to Replace Conveyor Belts 3 years, 4 months ago #11

Fresh Boarder
What were the chances to find what appears is the exact belt? I need to come to your Flea Market!
The following user(s) said Thank You: chaccamacca

Re: Corgi FC-150 Instruction to Replace Conveyor Belts 3 years, 4 months ago #12

Platinum Boarder
This is a very good solution by Keesie & it will work, if you look at the My Triang Pedal car collection, I have put a a piece on there where I made new tyres for one of my pedal cars, I made them from rubber gas tube & glued them with rubber glue & there was no residue which stuck up & they are sill bonded solid to this day.

Re: Corgi FC-150 Instruction to Replace Conveyor Belts 3 years, 4 months ago #13

Platinum Boarder
You are more than welcome for going to the fleamarket in my hometown. Every saturday and soon a nocturn fleamarket. That is from friday 28/07/2017 19.00 hour to saturday 29/07/2017 13.00 hour.

Re: Corgi FC-150 Instruction to Replace Conveyor Belts 3 years, 4 months ago #14

Platinum Boarder
You are welcome. I did several of those in the past. Maybe I can dig up some pictures.

Re: Corgi FC-150 Instruction to Replace Conveyor Belts 3 years, 4 months ago #15

Fresh Boarder
Thanks for looking for those, as trying to join two ends of the rubber together and still achieve a rolling action over the tiny radius roller is still hurting my brain.

The idea of using a rubber sheet is practical, but I would then lose the molded rubber sections that carry the little plastic sacks up its length.... Too much?

For some reason I'm thinking that in order to allow for that smooth action, I would have to "skive" the ends to reduce their thickness, thereby allowing for the two tails ends to be half as thick then when they are mated the joined point will be the same overall thickness..

Take a look at the picture attached... I've always wondered why one roller is grooved . while the other has smooth plastic around it. At first I thought mine was damaged but others it appears to have this same arrangement. How can the smooth roller engage the conveyor being so smooth, while the other is grooved for that very purpose?