Corgi Toys Group Forum: From the Mettoy Era to the latest Corgi Vanguards, here's the place to talk about all those great models named after the Queen's favourite dog!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Corporal Erector

Re: Corporal Erector 3 years, 4 months ago #16

Gold Boarder
Thanks Jim the decals will be the last touch for the missile. The population explosion here has truly been immense . I moved to Tucson in 1967, it will be 50 years this August. And with the excepttion of 10 years have been in Tucson the whole time. The population here within the city limits will probably break 1 million on the next census. It was around 100 thousand when we moved here. But hey when we were out  about 60 miles east of Flagstaff and looking for a short cut to Winslow we got really lost and ended up on a dirt road that was just a couple of ruts, so you can still be in the middle of nowhere out here. It has been a great run in the Southwest for us. Diane and I will be going to San Fransisco in the near future as yet we have never been there.

Re: Corporal Erector 3 years, 4 months ago #17

Platinum Boarder
San Fran is a great place. Visit Fisherman's Wharf for great sea food and lots to shop for. Coit Hill has Coit tower, great visit is you don't mind some walking and lots of stairs. Watch out for the street salesmen on the way up the windy hill to Coit tower as they are persistent. Then there is Lombard Ave which is steep and windy. I think you can still drive it but it is not easy with its tight corners. Lots to see and do there. Visit Alcatraz in the bay and drive over the Golden State Bridge and visit Sausilito for a great afternoon of sight seeing and shopping. Great restaurants there too. Been some time since I was there (2013) and it had changed immensely since I was last there in 1976. You will enjoy the trip, I am sure.

Re: Corporal Erector 3 years, 4 months ago #18

Gold Boarder
A bit off-subject, I know, but great memories of the San Francisco area came flooding back reading these posts. My first visit was in 1981, covering 3500 miles in 15 days from Tijuhana to 'Frisco, then down the Central Valley and across to Las Vegas before returning to Los Angeles and flying back to England. My second (and last) visit came in 1988, landing in LA and taking a more leisurely trip up the beautiful coastal highway, taking in Santa Monica, Topanga Canyon, Santa Barbara, Carmel, Cypress Point, Pismo Dunes, Santa Cruz and San Francisco, then over the Golden Gate Bridge to Mill Valley and Mt Tamalpais State Park. Highlights included riding a hired dirt bike on the beach and dunes at Pismo, and at Santa Cruz, chatting with the driver of a very hot Brockway truck which had just been driven from upstate New York in a little over six days. I remember having a beer with two disabled Vietnam vets just outside of Santa Barbara - they were pleased to meet an Englishman who had learned more about the Vietnam war from BBC news reports whilst still at school than many of their fellow-countrymen seemed to know. I watched the pearl divers at Pier 54, and drove Lombard Street Hill - we have lots of twisty steep hills in my part of England, so it wasn't a challenge! I was driving a hired Chevy Beretta GT, and had some difficulty finding the campgrounds in Mt Tamalpais State Park. At one point, I came across a military facility of some kind, with big gates, searchlights and lots of huge guns. I got out of the car and asked where I was - "lost" was the reply! I eventually found the campgrounds and curled up for the night in the back of the car, not realising how cold it got up in the hills. A very kind lady in a motorhome alongside took pity on me, letting me sleep in her camper and feeding me an excellent breakfast next morning. On the trip back south, I called in a bar in the hills between SF and Santa Cruz, attracted by a sign advertising "Newcastle Brown", a favourite strong Northern English ale. The owner was indeed from Newcastle, and pleased to meet another Northerner in such a remote place. Happy memories, indeed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: Corporal Erector 3 years, 4 months ago #19

Gold Boarder
Wow what an experience! My wife and I will be doing a California coast trip  some time in the near future.

Re: Corporal Erector 3 years, 4 months ago #20

Platinum Boarder
Watch out for that Coast Highway down to San Francisco as it is very windy and the cliff edge is right at the road edge for a lot of it. You know the white line that runs on the right side of the road? Well that line was missing for a great amount of the drive. That is how close you get to a 500 ft drop to the beach below. Scared the Poop out of my wife.
Last Edit: 3 years, 4 months ago by Nobleco.
  • Page: