Corgi Toys Group Forum: From the Mettoy Era to the latest Corgi Vanguards, here's the place to talk about all those great models named after the Queen's favourite dog!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Corporal Erector

Corporal Erector 3 years, 5 months ago #1

Gold Boarder
I finally obtained one of the Corgi's I have always wanted. The missile erector. It was really dirty and had some problems when it arrived. The rear missile clamps were broken, the frame would not lift, the spare was missing, the exhaust pipe was gone and the whole vehicle was bent in the middle so the cab was angled up. Here is what I did and some photos of it. I am getting ready to restore the missile.

I now would really like to find a launch pad in any shape, so if you see one let me know. I have my 5 ton International to tow it. 

First this is how it looked on arrival. You could kind of lift the missile cradle up but not using the crank. And it was real dirty and covered with a mouldy crud. So first was a good warm water scrub with a tooth brush and soap. 

This is in the process of fixing the lift gears. Once I figured out they were all the same I switched them around to fix it. Thank goodness Corgi screwed this part of the vehicle together. 

The next 2 photos show the way I had to file off the rivets of the clamp and flip the arms around to get them to mesh. The stripped teeth ended up out side and the good teeth on the inside to mesh with the screw and each other. 

The filing was tough but I did as little damage as I could to the rivets and the plate snapped back on after and is held further by CA glue. A little oil helped smooth out the gears. Amazing engineering for a toy. Way too delicate for a little ones hands. Next is a close up of more amazing engineering, the steering. Fortunately no damage there at all. 

The exhaust pipe was fixed by gluing a piece of solder to the the muffler and trimming it to fit. 

Other things I did were ,made a nose cone for the missile. Found a model truck tire and made a wooden hub for the spare. I touched up the paint with some Testors Model Master green. I also used a silver Sharpie pen to paint the hubs. So far I am really happy with it.  I will put up a couple of photos when the missile is done. 

Last Edit: 3 years, 5 months ago by Rixtoys.
The following user(s) said Thank You: karls

Re: Corporal Erector 3 years, 5 months ago #2

Superb, thanks for the detailed photos. Very good design by Corgi!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rixtoys

Re: Corporal Erector 3 years, 5 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
Good recovery on those repairs. Those gears always seem to wear out even the plastic ones.

Re: Corporal Erector 3 years, 5 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
Great idea on the gears for the missile clamps. I did not know they wore out at all. It is usually the lifting gears and specially on the Dinky Version as they are plastic on a lot of the models, Early ones used metal gears but they are hard to find. Nice to see a recovery like this and not even buying spares but fixing what you have. Cheers, great work

Re: Corporal Erector 3 years, 5 months ago #5

Gold Boarder
Thanks for all the kind words! I am happy with the way it came out and have now started the missile. I just could not stay with a wooden war head. So I hit the old lathe and chucked up a piece of aluminum rod to make a new "warhead". And I stripped primed and painted the rest. I still have to do the red trim and put on Jim's decals. Here are a few photos. 

The wooden "warhead" version. 

All stripped. 

Forgot the camera angle again. but having fun turning . 

And here is where its at now. Much nicer with the aluminum "warhead". I still have to bore it and cut it off to fit on the fuselage of the missile. 

Re: Corporal Erector 3 years, 5 months ago #6

Great skills with the lathe, I really think you know how to use that!

Re: Corporal Erector 3 years, 5 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
That looks like a large lathe going by the size of its chuck. Again thanks for the photos explaining what you are doing to your repair project.

Re: Corporal Erector 3 years, 5 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
Really nice work especially that missile cone

Re: Corporal Erector 3 years, 5 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
Love it and wish I had a lathe here. They are so handy. Nice work and you will get the pics straight soon enough.

Re: Corporal Erector 3 years, 4 months ago #10

Gold Boarder
Well its been a few days. We have had a lot going on and a little road trip Flagstaff for a few days out of the heat. I don't know if any of you guys are RR watchers but the BNSF main line through Northern Arizona is very busy about 3 to 5 trains per hour 24 hours a day. As a retired train engineer it was fun to sit and watch. And we did get to stand on that corner in Winslow Arizona along with the flat bed Ford. OKAY I am way off subject . 

Here is a photo of my almost finished missile. I had to paint it over but the second time it came out right. I just have to add Jim's decals and a coat of Future to finish up. 

Re: Corporal Erector 3 years, 4 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
Excellent work on that missile, who are those strange people standing next to the statue in the last picture!!!

Rollerman.

Re: Corporal Erector 3 years, 4 months ago #12

Platinum Boarder
Not the Eagles for sure.

Re: Corporal Erector 3 years, 4 months ago #13

Gold Boarder
Yup just a couple of desert rat Eagles fans. We've been travelling the back roads of Arizona for years but first time to Winslow.

Re: Corporal Erector 3 years, 4 months ago #14

Gold Boarder
By the way I am still looking for one of the launch stands to go with the erector. I have the Inernational 5 ton to tow it. 

Re: Corporal Erector 3 years, 4 months ago #15

Platinum Boarder
Coming along nicely and will be great when you get a launch platform to go with it all. Nice to see you on that famous corner. I have never been to Winslow but decades ago was in Flagstaff with family. We used to travel up and down the west coast and visited all the canyon stated and park states along the way. We were down in 2013 and the change was immense. Roads everywhere and signs and turns and cars etc. Still, nice to visit places you saw when you were young.
Thanks for showing your lathe work and the whole process.
Hey, have you been to Haite-Ashbury streets in San Fan yet? was there in 1967 and it was fun people watching as I was 16.
  • Page: