Corgi Toys Group Forum: From the Mettoy Era to the latest Corgi Vanguards, here's the place to talk about all those great models named after the Queen's favourite dog!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Corgi Bulldozers

Re: Corgi Bulldozers 3 years, 8 months ago #16

Platinum Boarder
More info on these dozers in the GBofC and the factory where the Euclid TC12 was made was 2 miles down the road from the Corgi Factory.

Re: Corgi Bulldozers 3 years, 8 months ago #17

Expert Boarder
Very interesting, Thanks! Both dozers have the lifting lever in the "cab" but no drivers. I wonder how the drivers were held in place, as there are no holes or marks on the seats. 

Both of my dozers need a bit a bit of work to get them back into shape. I will not restore them, but issues like rust on the base pan of the yellow version and slightly rusty and Sticky blade controls need attention. 

The tracks on both seem seem very solid and flexible. I can tell they sat for quite a while as the tracks have the "memory" bends from the ends where the track bend around the idler wheels. 

Can I treat the tracks with something to clean them up and preserve them, like silicone spray?

the missing exhaust stacks on the one dozers should be a simple project to replace them. The stacks are made of slightly flexible plastic. When I find the right material, I can turn two new ones using a drill motor as a lathe. 

Finally, the fact that the real Euclid factory and the Corgi factory were so close together is really cool. Euclid was a US company, but there were subsidiary Canadian and U.K. plants as well. The company lives on through different manufacturer. Their corporate history is very complicated and extensive. I will stick with the toy versions...lol.

Tom.
Last Edit: 3 years, 8 months ago by Krieglok.

Re: Corgi Bulldozers 3 years, 8 months ago #18

Platinum Boarder
It may be a case of the driver is held in place by the levers or he fits snug into the seat. I have not seen a picture so can't really say, I am guessing.

Re: Corgi Bulldozers 3 years, 8 months ago #19

Tom,
I wouldn't use any aggressive chemicals on the rubber tracks and leave them as they are. I found that using f.i. washing up liquid cleans the tracks but it won't solve the "memory" problem

Re: Corgi Bulldozers 3 years, 8 months ago #20

Expert Boarder
Thanks for the suggestion. I will give some plain hand soap a try. 

I will also post some pictures of the cab area...

Tom

Re: Corgi Bulldozers 3 years, 8 months ago #21

Platinum Boarder
If you can get them off the toy with out harming them, you might try setting them in the sun to make them softer and more pliable. That may help. Also if you have something round, say a glass or small jar, that the tracks fit on with out stretching them. that may help to take the memory out. Otherwise I would listen to Theo. They are old and might crack or break on you if you treat them too rough. Reproductions are available in Black for the 1102 and 1107. Don't think there is any difference in them other than the toy number. I also have them on my store.

Re: Corgi Bulldozers 3 years, 8 months ago #22

Expert Boarder
Nobelco, thanks for the suggestions. I explored removing them which can be done with a little bit of work. The blade is held on with crimped pins that I can easily replicate and replace. 

I cleaned the yellow dozer with soft handsoap and a soft toothbrush. The tracks came out looking really great. I will do the same with the green dozer. I am storing the dozers in zip lock plastic bags as I am afraid of the rubber degrading. I seem to have o-zone issues in my house. 

Looking at the seat seat and controls, they are the same soft plastic the exhaust stacks are made of. The color seems to emulate cast metal. The seats and controls are very fragile. I guess with age, they become brittle. I found that any attempt to move or straighten the parts results in breakage.

They would be prime candidates for reproduction, along with the stacks, if these dozers had been more numerous or popular. Here are some pics of the seats and such..

The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: Corgi Bulldozers 3 years, 8 months ago #23

Platinum Boarder
Just about every one of these I have seen that still has the exhaust pipes, they are bent like this. Seems to be normal for this toy.

Re: Corgi Bulldozers 3 years, 8 months ago #24

Expert Boarder
Nobleco wrote:
"Just about every one of these I have seen that still has the exhaust pipes, they are bent like this. Seems to be normal for this toy.
   "

If you are lucky! It took me a while to find one with the stacks still attached! As you say, most seem to be missing the stacks during my search. The seat and controls seem far more fragile and more likely to be missing or badly damaged, but that hasn't been the case. The stacks are soft plastic that does flex a bit. The controls and seat seem more rigid and prone to breaking. Possibly a different type of plastic? 

Tom
Last Edit: 3 years, 8 months ago by Krieglok.
  • Page: