Corgi Corporal Missile Set
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Corgi Toys Group Forum: From the Mettoy Era to the latest Corgi Vanguards, here's the place to talk about all those great models named after the Queen's favourite dog!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Corgi Corporal Missile Set

Corgi Corporal Missile Set 3 years, 9 months ago #1

Expert Boarder
I recently picked up a Corgi 1113 Corporal Missile Carrier, Launch platform and the 1118 truck to pull the Launcher.

The truck is almost perfect condition with a great box and the Carrier is in great condition too. It needed a spare tire, which was missing when I purchased it. The missile needed a new nose cone as the old one was absent. The Launcher was missing the wheels and one of the stablizing legs was broken. Some donations from a parts Launcher, completed the Launcher in the picture. 

A nice, large and hefty military set....

Tom

Last Edit: 3 years, 9 months ago by Krieglok.

Re: Corgi Corporal Missile Set 3 years, 9 months ago #2

That is an impressive line-up Tom. Thanks for sharing. The detail on the carrier is amazing. Corgi did a great job on that.

Re: Corgi Corporal Missile Set 3 years, 9 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
Hi Tom it is good to have some spare parts on hand when you need them.

Re: Corgi Corporal Missile Set 3 years, 9 months ago #4

Expert Boarder
I try not to use restorable models for parts. The two carriers I have for parts now, have "fatal" flaws that prevent making them presentable again...at least until my restoration skills improve a bit!

Tom

Re: Corgi Corporal Missile Set 3 years, 9 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
Same here although I have picked up some total wipe offs at times just to get the wheels.

Re: Corgi Corporal Missile Set 3 years, 9 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
I have the same set but not nearly in the condition as yours. I'm jealous Your set is a beauty.

It is much more "solid" in size and weight than the Dinky. Not sure if it came original with it, but there was a Corgi accessory cone tip that took cap gun ammo so that when you dropped the missile on the tip, it would "BANG". This drop and bang feature is probably why not so many of these have survived

Re: Corgi Corporal Missile Set 3 years, 9 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
I think your right about the survival of the nose cone Tick. From my catalogues and looking on the net, I have not been able to find the cap firing nose cone. I can get the regular plastic one though for a replacement. Like what is on Tom's.

Re: Corgi Corporal Missile Set 3 years, 9 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
i'll dig mine out and snap a pic when I get home

Re: Corgi Corporal Missile Set 3 years, 9 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
I like Tom have made up the Corgi GS 9 Corporate Missile Set with the individual models.

All together they are the GS9 but the missile with transporter also came separate as the 1113.
The missile also came with the launch pad as the 1112.
The 6x6 International Army Truck was released as the 1118.
The exact truck was also released as the 1133 but it was called a Troop Transporter and decaled as the US Army.
I have both 6x6 trucks but my 1133 is missing the canopy. The picture here is with the 1118's canopy which is the same part but the 1133 canopy would have the same star decal as on the door also on top of the canopy. 

The missile, regardless of what set it came with was released with a red rubber head.
Corgi also had a No 1480 Percussion Head replacement for the missile which transformed the head into a cap blaster. As per the instructions on the box, you remove the rubber head and tip underneath. Replace the tip with the flat "anvil" that comes with the percussion head and then install the new rubber head with metal point. A paper charge (like from a cap gun) is placed on the anvil and the rubber head over top. There is a hole in the side of the rubber head you can try to slip the charge into and not have to remove the rubber head each time. I expect it to be damn near impossible to insert a paper charge and remove it afterwards through this hole.
When the metal tip of the rubber head is struck it blasts the charge.

this is how your missile will look once you replaced the tip with the "anvil"

here you can see where the charge slips in between the anvil and metal core of the rubber cap

Well I'm off to the dollar store to see if I can find some cap gun play sets. They usually sell those. I am hoping they have the paper charge type so I can play with this set tonight !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Corgi Corporal Missile Set 3 years, 9 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
Our dollar store has the paper caps in a separate package so you can just buy them instead of a whole new gun. Look for them. A short strip of caps may fit through the hole and then you could pull it through a bit more each time you fire it. maybe 3 or 4 long? Good luck.

Re: Corgi Corporal Missile Set 3 years, 9 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
Thanks Tick for showing us your Corgi Corporal Missile Set while the other information supplied by Jim will come in handy for a bang or two.

Cheers.

Re: Corgi Corporal Missile Set 3 years, 9 months ago #12

Expert Boarder
Ah, Tick, I am jealous of your cap warheads! I have one that I need to restore as the rubber totally decomposed. They certainly are hard to find. I had read somewhere that the first missiles were not equipped with the warheads and later on they were. The seperate cap warheads were for those early missiles so the owner could upgrade. 

I have also seen the two versions of the 2 1/2 ton truck which tows the launch platform. One has British unit fender markings and the other has the "US" stars. both the US and British apparently fielded the Corporal missile system. I also have both, with a third going for a very slight restoration. 

thanks for showing us the warheads! I was guessing the hole in the side of the warhead was to let the "bang" out of the rubber cone. Otherwise the cap detonation would be muffled by a closed cone....

Tom

Re: Corgi Corporal Missile Set 3 years, 9 months ago #13

Platinum Boarder
that would make sense about the hole

Re: Corgi Corporal Missile Set 3 years, 9 months ago #14

Expert Boarder
Of course, that is just a guess. Here is what remains of my one and only cap warhead. The anvil half is still in the missile. It looks like it might be a easily cast or machined item that could be reproduced....hint, hint, nudge nudge...

Re: Corgi Corporal Missile Set 3 years, 9 months ago #15

Platinum Boarder
the casting seems very do-able, just need to figure out the rubber part
  • Page: