Corgi Toys Group Forum: From the Mettoy Era to the latest Corgi Vanguards, here's the place to talk about all those great models named after the Queen's favourite dog!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Corgi 1113 repair

Corgi 1113 repair 3 years, 9 months ago #1

Expert Boarder

I did some repairs on a Corgi Corporal Missile Carrier. The vehicle I had was missing the rear missile clamp and the spare tire. I purchased a "for parts" Carrier and slowly diassembled it.

The missing clamp was replaced with two claws, the worm gear and cover plate from the donor vehicle. There was enough metal on the bushings to allow the bushings to be peened lightly. I then added a touch of ACC to make sure the assembly stays tight.
Last Edit: 3 years, 9 months ago by Krieglok.

Re: Corgi 1113 repair 3 years, 9 months ago #2

Expert Boarder
The parts are installed and the next step is to give the Carrier a good cleaning. 

A reproduction Corporal kit it in the foreground. 

Tom
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: Corgi 1113 repair 3 years, 9 months ago #3

A lot of parts on the bench!
ACC is glue?

Re: Corgi 1113 repair 3 years, 9 months ago #4

Expert Boarder
Oh, yes it is superglue or Acrocyanoacrylate. It is similar to "Loc-tite" an adhesive used my machinists to keep fasteners or pins from working loose.

tom

Re: Corgi 1113 repair 3 years, 9 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
Loctite is a German owned American brand of adhesives, sealants and surface treatments that include acrylic, anaerobic, cyanoacrylate, epoxy, hot melt, silicone, urethane and UV/light curing technologies. Loctite products are sold globally and are used in a variety of industrial and hobbyist applications.

I used loctite to hold bolts in place on various cars, trucks and bikes over the years and I think I still have a tube of Blue and a tube of Red loctite in my toolbox. It is different than cyanoacrylate (super glue) in that it holds but you can get it apart. If you superglue parts together, sometimes you can not get them apart unless you break them. What I used was to prevent vibrations from shaking the bolts or screws loose. Different application.

Re: Corgi 1113 repair 3 years, 9 months ago #6

Expert Boarder
thanks for the info

Re: Corgi 1113 repair 3 years, 9 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
I should have mentioned that the info I posted above was taken from Wikipedia, the free online encyclopedia. Sorry for not saying so earlier.

Re: Corgi 1113 repair 3 years, 9 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
Looks great!

I love this model.  I like the smaller Dinky version too but this Corgi is big and solid.

You just need the launch trailer now

Re: Corgi 1113 repair 3 years, 9 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
Tom I notice the winding gears laying there.  Are they in good condition as we have found out over a period of time the diecast ones seem to strip while the plastic ones are just as bad. Jim was looking for some of those if I remember correctly.

Cheers.
Last Edit: 3 years, 9 months ago by GunnerJim.

Re: Corgi 1113 repair 3 years, 9 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
Yes and what a fiasco it was. Plastic gears were on the later Dinky Missile carrier and they stripped out very fast. Metal gears were used on the earlier issues but I guess due to costs they were changed over to plastic. Bad Mistake. I had a forum member from another site who was going to cast me some. What he did finally get me, after over a year of waiting and general BS, I got a set of resin gears that would not even hold up to one wind up of the missile let alone work for any length of time. He did eventually get cast metal gears made but he never did send me a complete set and then the center hole, which was supposed to be done in the casting, was left out so no hole for the axle. Unless you have that hole exactly in the middle of the gear, it will not work properly. Also one gear type has a flat side, The other gear type has a raised boss gear on the face like you see above. There is one of the first type and 2 of the second type and I only got 5 of the first type with the flat side and no boss for spacing.

You can see what happens to the one gear with all the pressure on it.

You can see the difference in the gears in the picture below. I finally used one of the resin gears I was sent as I did not get the metal gears until about 4 months or more of hassling with the guy and he finally mailed me some. I had paid for them but another member here had reimbursed me as he was partners in with the guy. He also got scammed and lost some parts what were supposed to be cast copies of the original he sent to the guy. Still don't know what happened to that guy be apparently he was injured in some way and could not or would not communicate. It is over now and forgotten until now.

I should also say that the two small gears on the lower shaft take all the pressure from the curved part on the missile erector that does the lifting of the missile.
Last Edit: 3 years, 9 months ago by Nobleco.

Re: Corgi 1113 repair 3 years, 9 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
I have other pictures if anyone is interested. Not sure if I posted this in Restos and Code 3 section or not.

If you go to this link 

https://www.planetdiecast.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=83&id=74855&limit=15&limitstart=15&Itemid=0

You will see all about the gears for the Dinky 666 Missile launcher Bottom of Page 2 for the pictures and on.

Sorry for high jacking your thread.
Last Edit: 3 years, 9 months ago by Nobleco.

Re: Corgi 1113 repair 3 years, 9 months ago #12

Platinum Boarder
Yes those epoxy make believes ar in the above link Jim. Thanks for finding it for us. The only way to make a die for those diecast gears is a pressure injection steel one.

Cheers.
Last Edit: 3 years, 9 months ago by GunnerJim.

Re: Corgi 1113 repair 3 years, 9 months ago #13

Platinum Boarder
He had a machinist who was going to make them but tooooooo expensive. He did find someone to cast them but I have never tried them on anything,

Re: Corgi 1113 repair 3 years, 9 months ago #14

Expert Boarder
There was one bad gear in the parts Carrier. The one I was fixing had good gears. 

I did a regearing job on a Dinky Carrier, using a cheap gear assortment I found on EBay. They were not exact replacements, but the right combination resulted in a smooth working lift. The one draw back is the gears are white...lol

if you are inclined, a company which deals in all sort of gears for hobby applications, has a web site with all sorts of gears. You just need to measure the gear you want to replace and find it...here...

www.nwsl.com/uploads/chap4a_web_09-15.pdf

www.nwsl.com/uploads/chap4b_web_09-15.pdf

tom
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco, RoutemasterNL

Re: Corgi 1113 repair 3 years, 9 months ago #15

Platinum Boarder
Thanks for this Tom on the links about replacement gearing.
  • Page: