Corgi Classics 9000 series
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Corgi Toys Group Forum: From the Mettoy Era to the latest Corgi Vanguards, here's the place to talk about all those great models named after the Queen's favourite dog!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Corgi Classics 9000 series

Corgi Classics 9000 series 3 years, 9 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
In 1964 Corgi started the Classics series. At first they were numbered 900, later they became the 9000 series. In every box a leaflet was supplied with sketches of that series, and a piece of foam to stop the model from being damaged in the box.

The first models were the 9011 black or 9012 yellow open T-ford. It came with driver and passenger, and in a lifit -off lid box. There was no inner diorama mentioned in the bible. The boxes were 'general', and on one side a the number and car name was glued on. These had an inner foam piece and on each side a carton filling piece, as if Corgi expected to produce larger models in the same box.

Last Edit: 3 years, 9 months ago by Keesie.
The following user(s) said Thank You: CollectorandrestorerMark

Re: Corgi Classics 9000 series 3 years, 9 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
This could be an interesting thread, specially for non-Corgi collectors. Get a bit of a history lesson, maybe.

Re: Corgi Classics 9000 series 3 years, 9 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
Thanks Jim. This is quite a time-consuming thread to do, and things in this series are quite complicated, so give me some time in between postings to get the story straight and the right pictures and numbering. Along the way you will realize what I mean.

So the two models of the T-Ford, released in Januari 1964, were numbered 9011 and 9012, while the leaflets said they were nr 900. To make things more complicated, the next two models were released in February, the next month: the Bentley 3 litre in green and in red. They had nr 9001 (or 900) and 9002.........

nr 9001, The Bentley 3 litre Le mans Winner in green. It had a closed roof, all white racing driver, and the appropriate leaflet. Also it had he racing nr 3 on the grille. The box is one of the wierdest ones I have ever seen: as you can see by the pictures, the side of the inner is also part of the outer box. This box was only done for the green model.

The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: Corgi Classics 9000 series 3 years, 9 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
The inner tray has nr 900 on it, but it is not a sticker. There was no foam piece.

Nr 9002, the red version, was the same as the green one, but the nr 3 decal on the grille was left off, and it has a lift off lid box, 9002 sticker on the side. The Bentley is far longer than the T-Ford, so it is a good fit in the box. Therefore the fill up pieces were ommitted.

Of course there ware all sorts of variations possible. One could put the green one in the red box for instance. The drivers could be taken out easily. Also the Corgi factory was destroyed in 1969, and things could be mixed up in the  safed stock.

Re: Corgi Classics 9000 series 3 years, 9 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
Although I said those Bentleys were produced in 1964, they had a long run, till 1969. This is quite easy to explain. The models were quite complicated for those days, and had a lot of parts. Therefore they were probably more expensive than most models. Imagine you went back into time, would you then choose a modern model or a classic? Most boys would probably go for a modern model.

Back to the inner tray of the green model nr 900/9001. There is a clip underneath the tray, so you can release the model. The thick carton boxes made those models even more expensive!

Re: Corgi Classics 9000 series 3 years, 9 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
A few months later, July 1964, nr 9021 was produced: the Daimler 1910. I personally think this is one of Corgi's masterpieces. First of all I got this model as a kid from my parents. It wasn't my first choice, but over the years I learned to appreciate it. The red model with yellow wheels is very impressive, with big chromed lights and front, picknick basket in the rear, passengers footrests and four figures. These figures alone are so well characterized, that by sheer looking at them you know each of them has a story to tell.

Again, the numbering does not make any sense, and I wonder what Corgi's intentions were by doing this.

The model was quite high up compared to the earlier ones, and therefore the foam pice was ommited. Therefore the high parts, the hats of the passengers are often slightly damaged.

Although there are no factory variations, although a rare chrome model exists. Also there is a leaflet in which are models to come soon. In this is a closed version of the model without passengers. This would never appear.

The blue version with white wheels is a one of a kind, done by myself. Again a leaflet was added, belonging to the model. Note the one in the picture has burning marks.....

Re: Corgi Classics 9000 series 3 years, 9 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
More info here...

theghostclubuk.webs.com/corgi-toys

Just scroll down to the Bentley models section.

Rollerman.

Re: Corgi Classics 9000 series 3 years, 9 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
All very informative and what a history this toy has had. Thanks for the story.

Re: Corgi Classics 9000 series 3 years, 9 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
Thanks Kevin, a very good site!

This probably means we no longer have to continue with this thread (?)

Re: Corgi Classics 9000 series 3 years, 9 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
Not familiar with these at all. Love the colour schemes. Thanks for sharing.

Re: Corgi Classics 9000 series 3 years, 9 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
Thanks for posting up the pictures and information Keesie, its been interesting and wouldn't mind hearing more. They seemed more detailed for their time than even Lesneys Yesteryears.

Re: Corgi Classics 9000 series 3 years, 9 months ago #12

Platinum Boarder
I have always liked this series of models and they are certainly more detailed than Yesteryear.

Prices on ebay seem quite varied from reasonable too ridiculous.

I only have one, the Renault No. 9032 a really pretty model.

Re: Corgi Classics 9000 series 3 years, 9 months ago #13

Platinum Boarder
Thanks guys, for wanting me to continue. As I said before, things in this series are very confusing. So we have the unlogical numbering, the same models in different colours in different boxes, and then, although this is not mentioned in Cleemput or Force, there was a mix-up with boxes.

The T-Fords and later Renaults had the same lift-off lid boxes, same size, foam piece and inner filling pieces. Also, no idea when this was, the T-Fords appeared in the same wierd box as the green Bentley had. Look at this internet picture!

As you can see there is only a driver. No idea if the lady was cut off and dropped at the roadside, or maybe the strawhat-guy was on it's way to pick her up at the local country festival.
The following user(s) said Thank You: karls

Re: Corgi Classics 9000 series 3 years, 9 months ago #14

Platinum Boarder
For my own benefit, I have researched this subject because it is a very little known area of Corgi's product line.

I have to correct a few statements Kees and add new information. This research I did has taken several Years, because there is so little printed information on this range. What you can find on the internet (not available when I started my research), is not very helpful and even the information in the big book of Corgi is wrong where Cleemput has 'Classics' box order of issue wrong!

The very beginning of this range was this...

5 models to be in the range, numbered in sequence as below.

#900, A Le Mans Bentley.

#901, A Model 'T' Ford.

#902, A Daimler.

#903, A Renault.

#904, A Rolls-Royce.

That is it, the original Corgi 'CLASSICS' proposal. You can see the numbering system they devised works, but only if you keep those models in production in a single colour.

Once production was up and running some recolouring of models would extend the range, what Corgi did not realise, they can not add a new colour to any of the models in this list to extend the range and with a new catalogue number which is what they wanted to do. So, if they repaint the Bentley Red and add it to the range, what catalogue number can they assign to it. #900 is already in use for a Green Bentley and #901 is already in use for a Black Ford.

"Bugger, we screwed up on the numbering system"...must have been going round the board room when someone pointed this out to them!

Had the range not been so far advanced in production with models, catalogues, adverts and actual model boxes completed, they could have changed to a new numbering system.

Somebody came up with the idea of adding an additional digit to the already printed boxes. This would save a lot of work, time and Money and what was already in production could be saved.

The additional digit was to be added at the end of the 3 digits already printed on the boxes. This allowed the numbers to become 4 digit catalogue numbers and a fairly simple method of adding the extra number to the boxes was to hand stamp this number on each box.

So, the new range of models from May 1964, that started with a 3 digit number now look like this below.

#900(1), the Green Bentley.

#900(2), to become a Red Bentley in May 1964.

#901(1), the Model 'T' Ford.

#902(1), the Daimler.

#903(1), the Renault.

#904(1), the Rolls-Royce.

We can now see what Corgi have achieved and this new 4 digit numbering system allows for any additional recoloured models to be added to the range, such as the Bentley on #900(3) in Grey which sadly was not introduced.

All the above models that actually went into production (#900, #901, #902 and #903), except the Rolls-Royce, were marketed in a flimsy card box, as detailed below in a page from my own Rolls-Royce models newsletter.

From July 1964, the new type 2 boxes were being introduced. Made from a top lid and bottom tray using a much thicker card. The new 4 digit numbers were now in use in catalogues and could be printed onto labels and applied to each box, but only on one end.

The Rolls-Royce #9041 and the 'Wooster' Bentley #9004 were not put into a type 2 box, they had their own card backed blister type box.

Rollerman.
Last Edit: 3 years, 9 months ago by TheRollerman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: karls, RoutemasterNL

Re: Corgi Classics 9000 series 3 years, 9 months ago #15

Platinum Boarder
great info!!!!
  • Page: