a matter of questionable scale
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Corgi Toys Group Forum: From the Mettoy Era to the latest Corgi Vanguards, here's the place to talk about all those great models named after the Queen's favourite dog!
  • Page:

TOPIC: a matter of questionable scale

a matter of questionable scale 4 years, 1 month ago #1

Platinum Boarder
the van on the left is scale 1/43.

the van on the right is scale 1/43

yet there clearly is a scale difference between the two Corgi vans.

how can this be?

Re: a matter of questionable scale 4 years, 1 month ago #2

Expert Boarder
1965;no 433 Volksagen Delivery van Scale1/47 sold 182000.

that's written by Marcel R van Cleemput in the great book of Corgi
The following user(s) said Thank You: RVREVO

Re: a matter of questionable scale 4 years, 1 month ago #3

Platinum Boarder
Aad A wrote:
1965;no 433 Volksagen Delivery van Scale1/47 sold 182000.

that's written by Marcel R van Cleemput in the great book of Corgi

i still need this book

however, that said, the real world of Google still will display the little one as scale 1/43.

Last Edit: 4 years, 1 month ago by RVREVO.

Re: a matter of questionable scale 4 years, 1 month ago #4

Platinum Boarder
Yeah, I used to think that all the classic Corgi, Dinky, Tekno, Solido etc. were scale 1/43 - don't know where that idea came from, really, I just took it for a fact - the same way I considered all small Matchbox to be scale 1/64.

It's only in recent years that I've started to realize, that the truth is far from that simple. Those evil manipulating toy makers were playing tricks on us all the time. If the real cars were small, the toys were made in a slightly larger scale to make them more... impressive (size matters, they say) and if the real cars were big, the toys got shrunk to save on metal and/or to make them fit in standard boxes and dealership racks.

Sometimes it would be done for no apparent reason, like the Dinky Ford Anglia and Fiat 600, both were small cars already, but Dinky made them appear even smaller. Most extreme of all was the Simca 5 #35 A (aka Fiat Topolino) - this exceptionally tiny car got even smaller in Dinky's version - according to the Atlas folder, it was the tiniest car ever made by Dinky. I've forgotten the exact scale, but I think it was around 1/60-1/65... that's Matchbox territory!

Re: a matter of questionable scale 4 years, 1 month ago #5

Platinum Boarder
My Majorette Dodge truck at scale 1/80 is a clear example of confusion.
Reduced that little collection.
  • Page: